Duped into Home 11 upgrade

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by banders100, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Yes, I don't think I would be very happy about it.
    Seems to be a few more problems when Vista is involved, I know nothing about it. Think i'll stick with XP for a while.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Any techie that gives such advice must be fired.
    Remember, that while a backup is running, there is still other software running, so recommending disable AV uis irresponsible.

If there is indeed a conflicct with TI and your AV, then TI needs to find out why.

Can you back up from a recovery CD?
    If so, use TI that way.
    If not, then the problem clearly lies with TI.

3. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 Registered Member

I had to disable my McAfee Security Center and everything else on the taskbar to get it to complete a backup. Mine kept locking up the computer and I'm running a liquid cooled dell with Vista Ultimate and 2 teribytes of HD which makes it a real pain. I can use Norton Ghost 12 and it will back it up in less than an hour compared to about 2.5 for the latest build of TI. Its been a pain so far but it is the only backup software that the recovery disk will reboot my computer. Ghost gives me a black screen of death at the end of its boot so it makes the software useless. Novastor and Vista both require a fresh install of Vista before it can recover since neither has a recover disk. NOvastor claims their latest has a disaster recover disk even says so in their manual but the fine print hidden on their site says it is in the making and will be available the first half of 08.

4. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Yes, that advice is ridiculous. Although not impossible it is very rare that any AV software will affect any operation by an installed program in such a 'minor' manor. If it didn't like the program then it would become apparant quickly in a big way.
    Conflicts with software are more likely the cause if anything, because they don't arise by design. The techy might have been trying to isolate the problem by elimination, but to suggest you always disable anything before running a backup is rather unprofessional.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Such advice, along with "you need to reformat your dtive", is a sure sign that one shou;d ask for a supervisor, or call back anf get a (more) competent techie.

Of course MacAfee should not be used, and I gave reasons elsewhere, but a moderator in this forum did not permit links to that discussion.

I would ditch McAfee and get Kaspersky, oft available free afte rebates at places such as www.outpost.com, www.buy.com, etc.

6. skypix

skypix Registered Member

Thanks for the comments. After all the bewildering things that have happened, including not being able to complete the manual uninstall of Acronis (although I'm logged in as Administrator), and having it fry my MBR (just did a repair from the Vista boot disc to get back into my system (BOOTMGR is missing was the the message), I have given up and am doing simple manual bootups for now, until I recover from what has been 2 months of a mostly inoperative computer system.

P5W DH Deluxe, Quad 6600 cpu, 8GB DDR2 memory, good solid system, but maybe I just have too many things attached to it (2 ide drives, 3 SATA DVDs, 2 SATA drives, several external USBs) and it's overloaded...I honestly don't know.

But right now it's working, I'm reconnecting each drive in turn to see if I can isolate problems, and it's one day at a time...but without Acronis, which I think seems to have too many little and big things wrong with it to be able to rely on it.

7. ClickerTicker

ClickerTicker Registered Member

Another dupe right here...
    Found v11 significantly slower than v10, also bugs that don't inspire confidence - like the progress indicator not always displaying and the thing telling me it was on operation 1of2 when I'd only asked it to do one thing.
    I certainly wouldn't touch some of the more esoteric parts of v11 - like "Try&Decide" with a bargepole at the moment.
    Have reverted to v10 until at least one update has been issued (or will that be v12 -- for yet another 29 bucks)!

Thank &Deity. that at least I didn't get duped by Vista as well...

8. jcarerra

jcarerra Registered Member

I am so p***** at having bought v11-- I can't see straight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.