Dumped SiteAdvisor (McAfee), suggestions please

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Who on wilders uses IE? :)

For the OP ,if during your browser sessions with siteadvisor you wanted to enter many sites that Siteadvisor marked as Dangerous,than a program like this might be useful to you.
    I use it a while ago but except for warez sites and screensaver,sites, i did not seen Red Rating,yelow on a few sites for spam emails.And of course some green sites got hacked in the meantime and the addon failed to keep up with the changes.
    I think that these products are waste of bandwith,not to mention privacy concernes.
    I've seen some good real time detections from finjan and linkscanner, and like emperordarius wrote i'll go with one of these .

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hahhhahaa i do:D :D

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Are you recommending browserdefender (since I don't want to send information about every URL I visit to someplace) ? I'm not quite sure if that's what you're saying.

It seems like I've to make a choice between browserdefender and WOT, unless someone has something to add. Any particular pros and cons for either one ?

The website of browserdefender just seems a little weird. Like, a website that anyone could set up.

And btw, I use IE 7. It can be quite safe if one uses it the right way. Like: higher than normal security settings, for ALL zones (I've never had any use for a zone with normal or lower than normal security settings), using security software that is tailored to IE, for example monitoring changes made to IE/attempts to change settings of IE.
    It's a matter of finding a security setup that works for you.

And it's not as if Firefox is that safe (about the NoScript issue: can be done in IE 7 too, although it's maybe less convenient), look at the sheer number of vulnerabilities that are discovered frequently. And, for as far as browsers are a target, FireFox has a substantial market share, unlike a few years ago.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I need to improve my english .
    I was trying to say that i don't find them useful.
    If u think u'll need such an app,go with the one with the largest database,i think between those two you've mentioned Wot is used by most users ,and has ratings for a large nr of sites,since browser defender doesn't support firefox.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think so.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I use IE7 vista protection on and IMO I feel that IE7 in vista with UAC On which also enables protection mode on is safer then fox alone with out extensions and fox is safer with extensions providing the extenesion have no Big security holes.with windows XP maybe a different story altogether.Also I believe the driver behind the keyboard is the most critical for safe surf.

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

http://www.robotgenius.net/technology/rgguard.jsp

Robot Genius RGguard
    The term “Malware” refers to spyware, trojans, viruses, network worms, and rootkits—any installed programs that infects computers and wreaks havoc on computer security and performance. Increasingly, malware is used as a means of stealing personal information, such as credit card numbers or identities. Using the Web, hackers disseminating malware take advantage of free online content dispersal and frequent online updates to circumvent security measures. Reliable protection against malicious attacks necessitates an in-depth knowledge of malware its locations and characteristics.

RGguard: Proactively Prevents Malware Infections
    RGguard from Robot Genius, provides users and companies with a first line of defense against malware. A lightweight browser plug-in enhancement, RGguard works in tandem with the Robot Genius RGcrawler data to prevent malware infections.

RGguard browser plug-in proactively warns users of danger while they browse the web by marking up search results links with color-coded safety ratings. It alerts users by recognizing not just the domain but also the full path URL that points to each instance of malware. The exactness of alerts reduces false positives and keeps restricted sites to a minimum.

Key Benefits
    Lightweight and unobtrusive, works with all browsers.
    Zero-day threat protection against all types of malware.
    A powerful, fully automated method for blocking links to malware and warning users of URLs containing malicious executables.
    Virtually no impact on system performance or system resources.
    Exactness of alerts reduces false positives keeping restricted sites to a minimum, and also keeps ‘noisy’ security alerts to a minimum.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you.

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

11. IceCube1010

they have a different version for ie, 2.0.5.95. The Firefox version is 1.9 I believe. It dosen't slow down browsing and it contains some good info on sites.

Ice

12. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

+1, WOT is superior in oh... so many ways!

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Sadly, all the services mentioned (not tied to an antivirus suite or something like that), collect data somehow. (Generally: see privacy policy) And I understand that's the rule, not the exception. Unless you just visit a service's website to scan one particular URL, and leave it at that.

I need to give this some thought.

14. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Not the job of an av or AS to define what is appropriate or not when browsing, that is why these need to build up a profile derived from community and personal input to complement inept link scanners...

All link scanners that take no inputs from users fail to defend appropriately since they rely on too small a number of people to build their white/black lists...

I'd rather loose a bit of privacy than be without the protection a free service such as WOT provides... That is for as long as it maintains it's integrity.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  15. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Ewww its part of the PC tools corporation. I'm not going to try it now.

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I tried a few of them as well, don't have any of them at the moment, but from what I recall, found no slow downs with Browser Defender.

The site is simple, but to give pc tools credit, they also run http://www.threatexpert.com/ and it's very informative and up to date.

Also, if you don't like it, it uninstalls with no dramas.

17. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Since site checking is done 'on the fly' with Finjan,rather than using a static listing,then the only way this can be done is by sending the information to their server.

18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hi, could you expand a bit on the privacy issues and why's the new version worse in this respect? Thanks. ;)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Sorry, I haven't mentioned that... Already did look there before asking and that's definitely not something I'd consider a privacy issue but rather a bad design (should be per-user, i.e. %APPDATA% so that proper permissions apply). So, anything else beyond this?

21. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

not privacy, but "monopolism", they tagged Agnitum (outpost FW creators) with yellow, (past) prosecurity site with red, those are some samples that I remember, after that I uninstalled SiteAdvisor...
    Also there is annoying habit of SiteAdvisor to always send something to home on port 443, while in settings that is strictly configured not to do.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not going to mention all possible issues here but:
    One of the new things is the BHO (=browser helper object), which can show up too now if you get the 2.6 version, unlike in the past.
    You always got the toolbar, although it was not always visible, but it was active (in IE 7) anyway.

I wonder what that BHO is for. Many pieces of software want to get a greater grip/more control on your computer. For example, Adobe's Acrobat Reader, had (has?) some of that stuff, although by some mystery it is no longer present on my computer !

23. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

McAfee SiteAdvisor - I decided to drop this product when their free version (v2+) begin using UPSELL.dll which caused conflicts with with games, made them run very, very slow.

The information I found on the file UPSELL.dll over the Internet claimed this file to be associated with Spyware / Adware, I looked for sometime afterwards for official description for this file but never found.

TrendProtect - I observed a very annoying bug (when on Google Search) and reported it on 10/20/2007, they never did fix or even responded back.

Browser Defender - Seems promising, but they haven't included site ratings for some popular search providers like 'Live Search' which MSN / Sympatico sites uses. E-mailed them number days ago, they never e-mailed back or release an update to address this.

25. IceCube1010

Never used Live Search but you are 100% correct. I only use Google and Yahoo so that is why I never noticed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.