Duh.........

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by razorboy, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

I bought the boxed NOD. I have the trial version on my netbook. When I open the NOD window on my desktop, there is no link to authorization, or at least, I don't see one. There should be one, methinks.

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

If you did not install the ESET trail version on your desktop, then you will not be prompted to upgrade to the full version. During the installation of the full version, you will be prompted for your username/password.

Please review the following ESET knowledgebase article about activating/registering ESET:

Activating/Registering ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antvirus - FAQ
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN103

If you installed the trial version on your desktop, and need to upgrade to
    the full version, review the following instructions:

How do I upgrade my ESET security product from the trial version to the full version?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2146

3. razorboy

Every possible attempt at registering the license is thwarted by this badly-designed system. I will call support, if I can ever find the phone #.

4. razorboy

So I enter all the info on the Activate ESET Software page, it gives me a username and password. I open the window on my trial version which asks for the username and password, I copy and paste the username and password into the box, and I get an error response saying that it is the wrong password.

The reason I have the trial version is that a month ago I tried to buy NOD online from the eset store, and it charged me twice and would give me no product. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=292300 I had to wait several days for the phony credit card charge to clear, so sales gave me a month trial version.

Support is closed now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Hi Razorboy,

I sent you a PM. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

You probably copied over a space which is recognized as an extra character. It will take more time, but type in the u/p instead of copying and pasting and you should be good to go.
    :)

7. razorboy

It's noon, Friday. Tech support's robot girl says:

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to service your request at this time. To leave a voicemail and receive a return call the next business day [Monday, 3 days from now] press 1. Otherwise, thank you for calling.

Maybe they are going out of business.

8. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Perhaps a silly question, but if you bought the boxed product then can't you just uninstall the version on your computer and install afresh using the boxed copy?

Jim

9. razorboy

Unfortunately, my netbook has no CD drive. I had expected to be able to use the activation/registration # from the package to get a username and password.
    I did get the username and password, but the activate page refuses to accept them.

10. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

11. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Ok...copy the cd contents to a USB drive on another computer? Or get the computer on a network and map a drive to it?

There seems to be a fair number of solutions available.

Jim

12. razorboy

ESET were kind enough to activate my serial # from the package, and give me a username and password . However, the trial version won't recognize the username and password. So, I will uninstall the old trial version, download a new one, and use the username and password on that. However, the old trial version won't let me uninstall without a password. WHAT password? Did I set a password? So I locate all NOD files and delete them manually. It still won't let me uninstall. I decide to load a new trial version over top. At 75% finished, I realize that I have downloaded NOD Security, not NOD AV. I stop the installation. NOD says that to complete the installation, I need to restart the computer. Well I don't want to install it, so I don't bother. I go back to the NOD site and download NOD AV trial version. I try to install it, but it says that a previous version [Security] has to finish uninstalling, which requires rebooting. Fair enough. I reboot. NOD Security window opens, telling me that NOD Security installed. Well, I don't WANT NOD Security, I want the NOD AV I have downloaded. I go to uninstall Security, and it wants a passwordo_Oo_O I install the new NOD AV trial. It works, taking a while to remove NOD Security. Now I have NOD AV working. OK, ESET has given me a username and password. I open NOD's window, click on "Upgrade to the full version using a valid username and password" and it says: UPGRADE TO THE FULL VERSION FAILED. BAD LINK TO UPGRADE SERVER. Now a NOD popup tells me that NOD requires my attention. The window opens and says: VIRUS SIGNATURE DATABASE COULD NOT BE UPDATED. INVALID USERNAME AND/OR PASSWORD. None of the passwords work, including the one NOD just emailed to me, the one I got for the trial version, or my old one, will work. I can't even uninstall it, because it needs a password for that. Tomorrow, I will probably take the laptop to a tech and have him hack registry, I can't imagine another way of getting NOD off there.

13. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

14. razorboy

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I really hope not :argh:

But I also have to ask why you say that?

16. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Because like Norton's they got a program uninstaller that err doesn't uninstall??

Password needed for uninstall is a new one in stupidity though...

17. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

A password for uninstall is only needed if someone has set that password manually when using the software.

18. razorboy

This has gotten rather cool, in a macabre, Catch-22 sort of way.

I used the uninstaller recommended by dmassland, and it removed NOD with no complications. ESET had already registered a username and password for me, based on the boxed product I bought at Future Shop. So I will download the trial version and immediately enter the username and password and I'll be registered and certified and official........... except that when I try to download the trial version, I Get: ERROR:

Trial license - cannot generate trial license because the email address is already registered or the trial period has expired

:-*

19. razorboy

My better half's computer - several years ago - got so screwed up from Norton's Automatic Update [which update she had just paid for] that she paid a tech guy $100 or so to clean the garbage off her computer, at which point she installed NOD at my suggestion. Norton was malware, so dangerous was automatic update. I don't know if it still is.

My current adventures are sort of an echo of that, but with little damage beyond security. At least the OS isn't mangled.

20. razorboy

If it will copy to a memory stick/flash drive, that might do it. I'll try it in the morning.

21. mbuc310

mbuc310 Registered Member

Do not download the trial version. Go http://www.eset.com/us/download, and click on Take Me To My Download. Find the version you need, click download. Enter the USER NAME/PASSWORD combo you received from ESET. You will now have the normal full version of NOD32 to install. UNINSTALL the Trial if it is installed, REBOOT. Then you run the full version installer,which you downloaded. Put in the user name/password when prompted. Click through the install till finished. That's it.
    Matt

22. razorboy

You're right again! Thank you, that did the trick.

23. mbuc310

mbuc310 Registered Member

Outstanding! Carry on. The Trial vs Full versions can be a little confusing. Glad it is straighten out.
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.