Dual serial ATA drive Image not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Darksky91, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darksky91

Darksky91 Registered Member

I have registered version 9.0 build 2289 of Acronis True Image. I'm trying to make an image of my primary drive, a WD Raptor serial ATA, onto another WD Raptor serial ATA drive. It goes through the questions ok, then does the reboot and goes through a number of things with progress bars ok. Then when I expect it to do the copying of the image from one drive to the other I get a message that it successfully created the image. This all happens in about one minute and there is 30Gb of image to transfer, so I know it didn't copy anything and in fact there is nothing on the new drive when I try to access it through windows. Is there a driver issue here? Any other ideas?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darksky91,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify you create the image file under Windows or from Acronis bootable CD? Could you please provide us with the more detailed information about the issue? What the size of your hard drive? What OS do you run? Please describe all your actions before the issue appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Darksky91

I have the windows xp rel2 OS
    The primary boot drive is the one I want to clone. It is a Western Digital serial ATA 32Gb drive.
    The drive that will be the clone is a Western Digital serial ATA 72Gb drive. It is connected to the 2nd serial port.
    The serial port controller is a SiI 3112A SATA Raid Controller.
    Here is the sequence of events:

Connect 72Gb drive to 2nd serial ATA port.
    Turn on PC
    PC boots into Win XP
    Run Acronis True Image (V9 build 2289)
    Select Clone Disk
    -starts clone disk wizard
    -select automatic
    - select 32Gb serial ATA drive as source drive
    - select 72 Gb serial ATA drive as the destination drive.
    - next window displays the structure of the source and destination drive after cloning.
    - select next
    - Window displays the operations to be performed:
    Operation 1 of 2 (Reboot required)
    Copying Partition
    Hard drive 2- > 3
    Drive Letter C:
    File System NTSF
    Volume Label
    Size 34.7GB - > 69.24 GB

Operation 2 of 2
    Copying MBR
    Hard Disk: 2- > 3

- I select proceed to start

A reboot confirmation window pops up:

A reboot is required for completing this operation; the operation will be cancelled if you choose not to reboot now.

- I select reboot
    windows shuts down
    windows starts up
    acronis runs with these messages:

Aanalyze partitions 100%
    Locking partitions 100%
    checking partitions 100%
    Analyzing partionions 100%
    ,, something... (i can't catch it, it scrolls off too fast)
    Congratulations!
    You have successfully completed the hard disk cloning procedure. If you have used the automatic....... Press any key to shut down your computer.
    When I reboot and run acronis it shows the 72Gb drive as empty. The windows OS also shows the drive as empty
    Nothing shows up in the log. It is empty

4. Acronis Support

Hello Darksky91,

Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Darksky91

I sent you the data as requested, however, the Acronis report utililty booted off the floppy but got hung up. I waited 20 minutes for it to complete and it never finished. I noticed my external usb HD was being activated over and over and the activity light was very active. I powereed the USB drive down and rebooted and the Report Utility ran without a hitch. Suspicious about this, i reran the true image program with the USB drive disconnected, and everything ran properly. I got a clone of the drive. The clone works perfectly. So this is a work around for people with external USB HDs.

6. gboysko

gboysko Guest

I had just downloaded the trial version and was trying to do the same. In my case, the differences are:

-> IBM 75GXP Deskstar 30Gb (Source drive): two partitions: C, D
    -> Samsung SP0822N 80Gb (destination drive)

I chose "Manual" (Keep Data, sized up partitions to be slightly different than defaults) and rebooted.

The first reboot occurred and lots progress bars, but it finished way too soon for any copying to occur. I didn't see any thing resembling an error message.

The second reboot did the same: progress bars, everything OK. After that finished (in about 30-60 seconds), it rebooted again and returned me to Windows.

The drive was not copied at all.

I will try to use the Report utility (as was described in this thread) next. Not sure if anyone from Acronis can comment on why this is behaving as it is...

Thanks,
    Glenn

7. DFTGMTX

DFTGMTX Guest

Similar situation regarding ATA drives with a Maxtor USB external HD connected. I get no data copy during the clone process. It completes without error, but no data was moved to my new SATA drive. Help.

8. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Darksky91, please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team.

DFTGMTX, please decribe your problem in details.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.