DUAL BOOTING

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Clingpeach, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clingpeach

Clingpeach Registered Member

Im brand new to the world of Acronis. I have used Ghost in the past. I am dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on 2 seperate SATA Drives. Backing up to an external USB 2.0 Hard Drive.
    1. Do I have to install Acronis on both operating systems?
    2. I assume the CD that came with the package is the boot CD. I purchased the version 10.0 HOME edition.?
    3. Ive tried backing up in the windows enviroment. Im a little confused but when i reboot with the CD in, it seems easier to use.
    4. I didnt understand the cloning section, which is really what i wanted to do. I found the old drive being put away somewhere very confusing. I wanted to clone the old drive and put the new drive away.
    5. Im now doing my first full back up of the XP PRO Drive to a partition on the USB 2.0 Drive. I will see how this turns out in the morning.

Thanks for any responses

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Using an image based backup will work in a multiboot environment as long as you backup ALL the drives.

File based backups, such a Retrospect, do not handle multiboot.
    Stick with image based, be it TO or anoter, and you will be OK.

3. Clingpeach

Clingpeach Registered Member

What is TO?
    Can I clone the drives and can i do it in the windows enviroment?
    Why would I be using Retrospect if Ive already purchased Acronis?

Thanks

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Clingpeach,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice you can learn more how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home from the respective User's Guide.

You can install Acronis True Image 10.0 Home on either of your operating systems, or on both. Licenses for Acronis Products are valid per computer, not per operating system.

The contents of the provided CD may differ depending on what store you purchased Acronis True Image 10.0 Home at (It can be bootable version along with installation file, or installation file alone). In either case you can create Acronis Bootable Rescue CD (or other media) at any time as described in chapter 10 "Creating bootable media" of the User's Guide.

You can find detailed instructions on backing up and cloning in the User's Guide (chapters 5 and 13 respectively).
    You can initiate cloning procedure from Windows environment, but the actual procedure will be carried in Acronis Linux environment, which will require a reboot.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.