Dual booting Vista/XP Tablet 2005

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by maraboo, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maraboo

maraboo Registered Member

I am new to this Forum. I need help to create dual booting on my new Fujitsu laptop I just acquired. I need to have XP Tablet PC Edition installed for work reasons as Vista is not supported on their server yet. I have read a lot of threads from several forums on dual booting and I do think that I understand the principle of how it works. I couldn’t find any comparable installations of the 2 MS OS quite the way I have done it though.

I do think that I am at the right place for help!

The Fujitsu T4220 Tablet hardware configuration is as follow;

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.4 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

160GB 5400rpm SATA HDD installed

120GB 5400rpm HDD available in the modular bay for back-up (not installed yet)

Dual layer DVD in the modular bay

4 GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM Memory (2 GB x 2), 1GB Intel turbo memory on board for Vista

I ordered the unit with Vista Business pre-installed and received it with one recovery Vista DVD and one recovery XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 CD. Once booted into Vista business, I did all the updates, rebooted and installed the newly purchased via download Acronis DSS 10.0 (build 2,160) and TI 11 Home (build 8,053). Installed Acronis OS Selector and rebooted. Vista was no longer available and I could not remove or uninstall it as it couldn’t see Vista OS! I have read on this forum that Acronis has the problem of not recognizing OEM versions of Vista and have no solution yet! No problem I thought. I had originally bought Acronis DSS 10.0 because reading the PDF Guide it specifically explained that you could take any operating system already installed on any HDD and copy it into a new partition. I took my brand new 120GB HDD and installed it on my Fujitsu where the 160GB was before. Did boot and installed the XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 using the recovery CD, did all of its updates and boy, does this machine flies compared when installed with Mr. Slowmo Vista! I did installed Acronis DSS 10.0 and TI 11 Home, made a new partition for Vista, copied the Vista partition from the 160GB using a USB enclosure onto the installed 120GB, I didn’t want to use the multi-bay as I though problems could have arise once I would have rebooted. I installed OS Selector and rebooted. This time OS Selector started correctly at boot time but I could only see XP, no Vista. When I am in DSS, I see all the partitions and I did try to hide XP, then make Vista active & primary but I still can never see it when I boot using the OS Selector screen, even if I try to discover it, OS Selector doesn’t find any new operating system! I hope I am close to a solution as I also need Vista for personal reasons. To help further, when I go into DSS, this is what I see;

XP Tablet 2005 (C) Pri, Act.

Acronis Secure Zone

Vista Business (D) Pri

Intel turbo memory Pri

Also when I explore both OS, I do see the BOOTWIZ and maybe this is where I need to do some manual changes so OSS can see Vista and boot.

Please help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.