Dual boot w/ 2k & Ubuntu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I am a complete noob with Linux. Was going to finally install Ubuntu on my Master drive in a newly created partition using the Ubuntu install disk. Being completely unfamiliar with the terminology used with Linux I chickened out. :oops: Did a Google for it.....still had a hard time. :p Would someone please point me in the right direction. I know a board Member has written a tutorial or two on the subject. Where the heck is it? o_O Thanks in advance. :thumb:

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I think this is the tutorial your looking for Thunder. Click Here

3. ThunderZ

Thank you Mr2cents. Not sure if that is the one, but after a quick glance at it, it sure seems to fit the bill. :thumb: :D

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'm glad I could help ...
    You might also wanna try the dual boot article ...
    Mrk

5. ThunderZ

Thought it was you who had done the great tutorials, just had a mental lapse. o_O Going to take a look at the dual boot article now. Thank You.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there are videos at google video. at least there were - when i searched google video eariler today the results pointed to youtube :rolleyes: well it looks ok now, they must have just merged youtube and google video search results. when i searched google video eariler today all the videos just happened to be at youtube

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dapper install
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ubuntu dual boot

make sure you have defragged so all the files are at the beginning of the partition.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a great program called Automatix. after you have finished the install, if you want, you can use this program to install all the basic things needed to get going :cool: stuff like codecs, java, some needed programs etc. :)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80295

8. ThunderZ

Thanks Iceni60. Will have a look at it. But really like to do things manually. I learn better that way.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i was thinking that when i wrote it. i learned alot in the first couple of weeks of using linux mainly because i'd never heard of Automatix.

the ubuntu forum is so busy i'd be shocked if any questions you have can't be answered there. there's also an ubuntu IRC channel at freenode called #ubuntu. if you press alt-F2 type xchat, then select the ubuntu server in xchat, you should go straight to the ubuntu channel and you can ask questions there.

if xchat isn't installed you can install it like this -
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xchat
    if you don't want to use the CLI there's also the graphical add/remove programs installer, i'm not exactly sure how to navigate there though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.