Dual boot question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you already have WinXP Pro with FirstDefense Original Classic on your C drive, and are going to install Win7 Home edition with FD onto your D Drive in a dual boot, what would you use as the boot manager? gParted, the built in boot manager of Win7, or what?

Thanks,
    Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

Personally I'd do neither. What I've done, is image my XP system, then do a clean win 7 install. Set it up the way I want it, and then image it.

Then I would work with the one I want, and ultimately probably make the switch.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You mean restore an image each time that you wanted to work with it? Isn't that a lot of time and work, wouldn't a dual boot be both faster and easier?

Acadia

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

the built in windows boot manager should do just fine id say

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are right. Difference is I work with XP and play with Win 7 X64. I also have a VM machine to play with so that makes a difference. If it wasn't for my work situation, I'd probably just convert to WIn 7 and forget it.

Pete

6. carfal

carfal Registered Member

OK I'll ask the question.....any reason why you wont install W7x64 in an empty snapshot and simply "dual boot" that way??

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I agree with Carfal. Why do you want to mess with boot managers only for this?

By the way windows boot manager is not ideal for dual booting FD-ISR installed in multiple OS partitions. You won't be able to change snapshots in the not active partition (at least with the default configuration of windows boot manager).

Panagiotis

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. samy

samy Registered Member

Acadia

As carfal and pandlouk mentioned, this is IMHO the best, fastest and safe way to install different OS using classic FD
    I have done it seven months ago using pandlouk guidance in the sticky thread of this forum and have no problem since then
    I use 4 snapshots, two running XP (one main and one copy ) and two running Win7x32 (one main and one copy).
    Moving from one snapshot to another takes approx. one minute.

Do not mess with dual boot using boot manager. Have a look to the different forums on this subject (e.g. Acronis Disc Director, and others) to see the big and frequent problems

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i figure there are occasions when one would want an accessible operating system on a separate true partition with its own file system. he may be thinking along those lines ;)

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Must admit, both ways have their appeal ... must do some thinking. By the way, thanks for the ideas. :cool:

Acadia

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, this is probably a dumb question so please be gentle. If I went the route of installing Win7 inside of a FD snapshot, does it matter whether it is an upgrade or a full version of Win7? I would not be able to move an upgrade version of Win7 to another pc in the future, or could I? I would only be interested in the 32-bit version of Win7 if that makes any difference, no need for the speed.

Thanks,
    Acadia

12. pandlouk

It doesn't matter but you must pay attention that the upgrade version needs to see that a windows xp,vista or 7 is already installed on the pc. You cannot install it on an empty snapshot but you can install it on an snapshot that already has windows xp.
    It depends if it is an OEM or retail.

Panagiotis

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But you cannot upgrade directly from XP to Win7, isn't that correct?

Acadia

14. pandlouk

Correct. In this case it will perform a clean install.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.