DTL Anti-Virus Protection report, Jul-Sep 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by si_ed, Nov 4, 2014.

1. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

All reports
    http://dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2014/

Enterprise Anti-Virus Protection
    http://dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2014/DTL_2014_Q3_Ent.1.0.pdf

Small Business Anti-Virus Protection
    http://dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2014/DTL_2014_Q3_SMB.1.0.pdf

Home Anti-Virus Protection
    http://dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2014/DTL_2014_Q3_Home.1.0.pdf
    (Guest product: Qihoo 360 360Safe Internet Security)

FAQs
    Please see individual reports, APPENDIX B: FAQS and Three anti-virus testing questions/accusations.

Best wishes,
    Si

2. malexous

malexous Registered Member

A bit misleading calling Norton Internet Security "Norton Security".

3. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

It would be misleading if that were not what Symantec now calls it : )

EDIT: I think your concern is because the test started before Norton Security was made available publicly. Maybe you assumed that we used the older Norton Internet Security for some or all of the test? I can confirm that we tested using Norton Security only. It was made available to us before the public release.

Regards,
    Simon

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  4. silverfoxuk

silverfoxuk Registered Member

Don't think I have ever seen Bitdefender have such a poor result in a test (Home/Consumer).

Does the report state what Browser was used in the Home test (e.g. Chrome, IE)?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks Simon :thumb:

6. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

The reports don't explicitly state which browser is used. We use the default, which is Internet Explorer.

Kind regards,
    Simon

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I enjoyed seeing these test as usual. Disappointed that there were no ESET business products included.

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I'm a little surprised to see Bitdefender as well as McAfee slipping a bit here. Good results for Avast and Trend, very nice.

9. 142395

142395 Guest

While bitdefender's anti-malware engine is one of the best, their exploit prevention was disappointing at least around 2012.
    If nothing has changed, if a test contains lots of exploit link it can be disadvantage for BD.
    Of course what exploit and vulnerability are used in test, those ratio to whole sample set, how and why those samples are selected (MS prevalence-based test in AV-C suggests BD surprisingly misses some most prevalent malware), how user-dependent is treated and whether Windows own security such as SmartScreen is disabled also affect the test result.
    Since all organizations uses their own methodology, I don't expect results will be same among all of those organizations, though there'd not be much discrepancy to general tendency.
    [EDIT:] added 'not' in last sentence. serious typo!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  10. malexous

malexous Registered Member

A Norton Internet Security installation will only turn into Norton Security when you buy a new product key/subscription and manually download and install it. If you started with Norton Internet Security, I think it would not be fair to change to Norton Security.

I assumed you had started with Norton Internet Security because you list 21.3.0.12 as the build of Norton Security started with. I doubt there has ever been a 21.3.0.12 build of Norton Security. There has been of Norton Internet Security, though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  11. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

Actually, you are right and I made a mistake. We tested Norton Security in a separate test around the same time, but slightly later. The report above included Norton Internet Security and not Norton Security.

Thanks very much for pointing out the error, which we have now corrected in an updated version (1.1) of the report.

Kind regards,
    Simon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.