DSA - Questions and answers

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tepe2, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I sent some questions to Privacyware Support. See below, I hope it will be useful to some of you.
    (XP FW means Windows XP firewall)

To choose AV or AS is easy for me. To choose firewall is almost impossible. Maybe thats why I still use Windows XP firewall:)

DSA is one of the alternatives I consider. I know DSA offer something Windows firewall does not. But could that be said about Windows firewall too? What does Windows firewall have that DSA does not have?

I also consider DSA together with another FW instead of Windows FW. But that would have to be a FW without HIPS, so OA is out of the question.

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If you arent already aware,suggest you download Webroot FW(see thread),which is largely DSA,or of course Privacywares,Private Firewall

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey HC how ya doin? Did you notice the response tepe2 received said DSA hasn't been updated? I'd imagine this is also true of the version used by WDF, wouldn't you?

4. Hairy Coo

Guess so-you're the expert:D But any update seems mainly Vista 32 ready.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

DSA hasn't been updated yet, WDF has as discussed here. DSA to be updated later. HTH

6. Hairy Coo

Thats what the PrivacyWare reply said- but the future update "Next version will not add any significant new features, but will
    support Windows Vista 32 bit OS"

I see what you mean,Wordward questions whether the WDF DSA is the updated one,which it isnt-my reply didnt decipher properly-

EDIT

Espressos post isnt correct re WDF not containing the HIPS feature etc-its just a matter of turning on DSA-there is no other HIPS feature.

His post was before the method of turning on DSA/HIPS was posted.

This is the PrivacyWare post

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1099305&postcount=7

All this is discussed in the WDF thread.

WDF is already Vista32 ready.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks. I do follow this thread. And OA thread. And other firewall threads.

I am going to trial Prosecurity when the last version is out of beta. I think it is better for me to decide on firewall after trial Prosecurity. If I end up using Prosecurity I dont need a firewall with HIPS included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.