DSA and Comodo Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Hey everyone, here's my first post at these forums! Hope to help everyone in the future a bit!

Can Comodo Personal Firewall and Dynamic Security Agent be used together? Technically one is a firewall and another more of a HIPS, however since DSA has also firewall features with "advanced packet filtering" and "application security", the two programs could conflict.

This causes the two programs to overlap and issue multiple alerts. However my question is, will they still work properly together?

Thanks.:doubt:

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

From what I've read of the DSA documentation, if you already have a firewall installed, DSA's installation will limit itself to functions not covered by the firewall. However, my experience was that DSA would perform double-duty as far as applications accessing the Internet. For instance, it asked me if an app was authorized to access the Internet, even if the app had been given permission by the firewall. Unlike SSM or Process Guard, there was no real way to fine-tune the rules. I had some other behavioral problems with DSA and have since uninstalled it, but the problems didn't seem to be related to the firewall. When I used DSA, it worked fine for awhile, then started having problems, generating error messages, terminated unexpectedly (i.e., "Dynamic Security Agent has experienced a problem and needs to close," etc.) Have no idea why it started doing that, as I was running the same setup the whole time. On the other hand, I have run SSM (free) and Comodo together and they don't seem to conflict at all.

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Comodo is a great Firewall, but has convlicts some HIPS programs. The new version of Comodo Firewall coming out in Janauary (V3) will also have HIPS. I have zero experience with DSA, but about 6 months experience with Comodo. If I were a gamblin man, I would bet that you will experience conflicts.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Agreed. two great programs that do not like other security apps, Conflict is inevitable. I found that DSA worked better on my system than comodo. Ironicaly, I just uninstalled DSA and am trying jetico 1,0 with arovaxshield. But DSA (which I may return to, depending on the efficacy of my new set-up) is a great app. Try it against any online security test and it will pass. Oops, it only passes one of three of the new comodo leak tests, but I think Comodo is the only one to pass all three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.