drweb, what does it use instead of ADS ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

hey
    im noticing in drweb u can choose 'smart' on-access scan, this means the same file wont be scanned twice (unless its changed), just like ADS helps kav 5 do. but i dont see drweb leaving any ADS or anything else behind, so what is it using instead?

after having used only kav for a long time now i recently switched back to drweb, with kav 4.5 as my backup scanner. i always felt kav5 was really fast, but i guess that waas only cos i got used to the slowdowns over time. now i must say im stunned by the speed of drweb, theres absolutely no slowdown

2. .....

..... Registered Member

Dr.Webs "smart" scanning, AFAIK, ONLY scans .exe's on execution, nothing else.

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

the types of files scanned are determined in the 'file types' tab, there its set to scan all infectable formats, the smart scan has to do with scanning them only once unless changed

Attached Files:

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No really. By using "smart mode" Spider checks all common file extensions associated with the virus infections. However, under NT based OS "Smart Scan/Mode" setting doesn’t scan files when they're executed.

tECHNODROME

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As Technodrome has stated, the NT SpiderGuard does not check files when they are executed.

In other than "smart" mode, all files will be scanned. However, use "run and open" and "create and write" instead of smart mode, and it will take for ever for every program to open. That's the reason why smart mode is the default setting in Spiderguard.

But one way round this is to make sure you scan EVERY new file coming in to your system manually and back this up with regular scanning using FULL settings of the Dr Web on-demand scanner.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But why this difference betweeen the NT/2k/XP and 9x/Me SpiderGuard?

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Dr Web was initially written for the Win 95/98 platform. Spider-Netting for example works on this OS; http://old.antivir.ru/english/dsav_toolkit/spider.htm

However, with NT/2000/XP sytems, the code is not optimized and Spider-Netting for example does not work.

Last I heard from Dr Web support was a re-writing of the code to improve SpiderGuard with NT systems was unlikely :'(

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Darn that makes me real ANGRY....

9. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

It news is very old.
    Last news is DrWeb 4.32 pass last Virus Bulletin test (February 2005: Windows NT).
    More info:
    http://solutions.drweb.com/home/win/?lng=en

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

If I may go a little bit off topic:

Why not buy (if you can afford it) a licence for ADinf32 (Pro) from that same company that sells Dr.Web: DialogueScience.
    http://www.adinf.com/home.htm

Although I don't have Dr.Web, I do have ADinf32 Pro and I love it !!!
    ADinf32 is a so called file integrity checker.
    (OK, I know, it's me again ;)).

Why did I suggest to get ADinf32 together with Dr.Web?
    Well, here come some quotes from the ADinf32 Help-file.
    But please keep in mind that I myself don't have DrWeb (so I don't have experience with this) and that I use ADinf32 Pro as a "stand-alone" file integrity checker.
    I also have to admit that I don't know whether the following goes only for on-demand scanning. Maybe TD could tell a bit more about that ;).
    OK, here come the quotes from the ADinf32 Help-file:

=== begin quotes ===
    ADinf32 may be used together with an antivirus scanner, for example, Doctor Web, AVP or McAfee VirusScan.

The major disadvantage of antivirus scanners that makes them impractical in everyday use is their low speed. When checking a file, a scanner has to emulate CPU commands in order to detect a polymorphous infector, which is a time-consuming process. However, if you checked a file with a scanner and the file has not changed, obviously, there is no sense to check it again. ADinf32 can, after the disk scan is completed, build a list of changed files and pass it to an antivirus scanner. The scanner will examine the listed files only, which substantially reduces the overall check time and makes everyday antivirus check possible.

The check list passed to the scanner contains new, modified, renamed, and moved files.

You can also run an antivirus scanner immediately from the Scan Results window.
    === end quotes ===

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.