DRWEB customer service annoys me!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Barney, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barney

Barney Registered Member

There is nothing more annoying than when you bring up a problem your having with a vendor's AV and they come back with the most basic, simple, insulting and useless troubleshooting steps. They didn't even touch on the problem I am having. They just tried to pawn it off as an installation problem. Here is what I get back from DRWEB:

Hello.

It is recomended to re-install "DrWeb" product on the latest verdion (5.00) if you use "DrWeb" pdoduct version 4.44 or earlier to solve the situation.

Here is the common instruction on re-installing "DrWeb" product on the latest version...

Instruction on re-installing "DrWeb" product on the latest version -- 5.00.

How to do it ?

First download the latest version distributive of DrWeb product from the next adress:

ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/windows/drweb-500-win-space.exe

Then uninstall old version of "DrWeb" product from your PC:

->"Start"
    ->"Programs" or "All programs"
    ->"DrWeb"
    ->"unInstall Dr.Web"

Afer this the installation wizard will appear.

Choise the:

[+] "Uninstall"

option and follow on-screen instructions of the master.

Afer unstalling DrWeb reboot your PC.

Next way to uninstall the old version:

->"Start"
    ->"Control panel"
    ->"Installation and uninstallation of the programs"
    ->"DrWeb"
    ->"Uninstall" button

Then follow the on-screen instructions of the master...

After this reboot the PC.

Your license .key - file will stay in "DrWeb" default folder.

(default == "C:\Program Files\DrWeb\..")

At the end install DrWeb product from the latest distributive.

Follow on - screen instructions of installation wizard and reboot your PC at the end of the insatllation process.
    ----

I get sick of the basic regurgitated crap vendors give people. It sort of reminds me of a cheesy windows 95 help file: For example: a. Check to see that unit is plugged in. B. Make sure the device is turned on. C. Make sure device is plugged into PC.....pure insult of anyones intelligence.

Overall, DRWEB at the moment feels very unfinished and pieced together. All the componenets don't seem like they are working together as smoothly as they should. I may just step away for 3-4 more months for it to evolve more. It is definately unfinished.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Just what do you want them to say. I mean the skill level of about 98 percent of customers is so basic when it comes to a computer and how it works, they all, have to start out with simple tasks and work from there. Most dont even know what the C: drive is.

In your case, they cant just say," Oh, hey there is Barney from Wilders, based on his well know skill levels we can go ahead and bump him to Level 4 for trouble shooting instead of 1. It is the same with all vendors.

3. Barney

Barney Registered Member

True. But the problem I am having I am sure has come up numerous times from other people. IN my email to them I make it clear that I installed and uninstalled several times from both the Add/remove and from the installation icon but had no luck. They turned around and sent me a stupid email asking me to uninstall then reinstall. They make me want to vomit.

Barney

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think maybe, you should try another product. Vomiting isnt good.:cautious:

5. icr

icr Registered Member

.....or you may also try using their forum instead:cautious:

6. risl

risl Registered Member

You've also complained about other products not working correctly for you in other threads(jetico, boclean, etc.), perhaps there is some other problem than with the software?

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol talk like that wont get him anywhere,

however, its never good when you cant get something to work, or something isnt working as it should, but the answers are out there...

maybe you didnt explain your issue to drweb properly, did you open a ticket at tech support?

did you disable self protection, and re-install/repair from installation?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Oh Barney, I feel your pain, but vomitting is not the answer ... it is painfull :D
    - have you used their forum?
    - have you generated a ticket with them?
    If all the above have been utilized and you are still not satisfied with their responses and/or your problems can't be rectified, then walk away. Use something else.
    It is not worth the stress ;)
    I have some ideas, however, if they don't work, you may get more frustrated .... so it is not worth it :blink:
    Cheers :D

9. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Absolutely agree. After all, you are not forced to use their software ;)

10. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Yes, I used their forum. I opened a trouble ticket, etc. By the way, I got another useless email from them. This time it was: "Do you have two antivirus programs on your computer? If you do, you might try uninstalling it." On their forum, I saw another person who is experiencing the same problem as me. Their spidermail will fail to start. I am sorry to say that NOD32 may be my next choice. That AV has really SPED up big time. I thought DRWEB websurfing was fast, NOD32 blows it away. I still may go back and see how DRWEB is doing from time to time to see if it agrees with my computer down the road.

Barney

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, goodbye :)

it looks as if your mind is made up, and probably was before starting this thread. :rolleyes:

12. format_c

format_c Registered Member

Barney,

there's no any way to help you if you do nothing you've been told. you had NOD32 installed and removed, but it leaves some garbage in the system being uninstalled. did you run a LSPfix utility and check? o_O

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a few general comments:
    • The initial advice most support groups will provide is designed to handle the majority of issues in a given category. By design they shouldn't be treating every initial inquiry as an in depth investigation. They would be overwhelmed from the start. In most cases, a simple uninstall and reinstall tends to fix problems. It tends to get recommended in any initial request since many folks simply ignore key items here and there (for example - neglecting to download a new install file, restarting a system prior to any uninstall/install activity to place the machine in a well defined state, etc.).
    • A lot of detailed guidance was already provided in the DRWEB: can't get Spidermail to work thread. That thread ended with the comment that:
      Is the situation being described here a reoccurrence or coverage of the past support event?
    • You had recently experienced Problems with Jetico FW and DRWEB antivirus . Bad things can occurs when software conflicts arise, up to and including continuing issues when one or more of the conflicting applications are removed. A personal example - I just went through a major issue with flash content causing system hangs on one of my machines with any browser (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, etc.). Reinstalls/cleans of either the browsers or flash plugins had no impact. Many steps had no impact. The only step that worked was a repair reinstall of the OS (SP2 level) and application of SP3 (that's correct - problem still present on the base repair install). Obviously, something was hammered with some dependent file or configuration somewhere in the bowels of the OS. I really don''t know, nor did I care to discover, the root cause of the problem. It was a one off event. What I did know was the escalating hierarchy of steps required to resolve the problem and the key item was problem resolution, not how that was achieved.
    • You've also noted that BOClean is very unstable!!! on your system of late. This problem is contemporaneous with the other problems you note, including one of DrWeb Spider Gate turning itself off!!!! in which you note that
      Things simply don't happen spontaneously. This has software conflict written all over it. Perhaps it's at the Winsock level, perhaps not. The point is that there is more than one issue in this situation. They may be related or they may be separate. Dr Web may be more sensitive to the issue than other products, as could specific modules within the DrWeb product.
    I realize that it's difficult to repeat steps already done. However, occasionally there are minor twists in the specific protocol provided that yield a better outcome. Occasionally, specific events will occur and be recognized as diagnostic while you work with support in dealing with an issue. Occasionally, there will be secondary issues that support is unable to appreciate since the user is filtering information. Occasionally, support won't recognize the key issues since, sometimes, you really need to be at the keyboard or remotely logged in to appreciate all dimensions of the problem.

If you want to solve problems, focus on working the problem and don't get caught up in largely irrelevant frustrations encountered along the way. Perhaps DrWeb's support could have done better. However, even on this site, your description of anomalous behavior has been largely compartmentalized in different threads which you have not referenced as potentially relevant (and they are due to being largely contemporaneous events). Conversations have two sides. Whenever there is a miscommunication, both sides own some of the responsibility.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.