DrWeb 4.44 Beta is out (new gui)...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It’s finally out with some improvements....;)

Doctor Web, Ltd. launches beta-testing of Windows Vista compatible version of Dr.Web for Windows (beta number 4.44.0).

This version incorporated a unique non-signature malware detection algorithm which supplements traditional signature-based scanning and heuristic analyzer of Dr.Web. The malicious codes detected with the help of the new technology are labeled by Dr.Web as «.Origin». The viruses detected by the new technology as «.Origin» are considered to be incurable, which should be taken into account when setting all modules of Dr.Web for Windows.

Practically all components of the product have been modified and improved. The SpIDer Mail module includes now a spml_set.exe file, which provides compatibility with Windows Vista. A number of errors in mail processing in some e-mail clients have been corrected. Some new files have been added to SpIDer Guard. Graphical User interface of SpIDer Guard has been changed to display scanning statistics of the file monitor in a separate window. The module’s operation has become more stable. The problems resulting in freezing during the scanning of complex and packed objects have been eliminated, too.

Dr.Web scanner, a substantial part of the anti-virus, has been modified dramatically. Both the main window and the Settings pane have been changed. Three scanning modes – Fast, Full and Advanced – have been introduced for users’ convenience. The first two modes provide for scanning without additional selection of the scanned objects, which makes the scanning exceptionally easy.

“New version of Dr.Web anti-virus dramatically differs from the previous versions”, - Boris Sharov, CEO of Doctor Web, Ltd. comments on the beta-version release. “The development team had several important tasks to fulfill: apart from provision of Windows Vista compatibility, we wanted to give our customers new higher level of protection from not known viral codes and to improve all main modules of our anti-virus under Windows. Having analyzed the anti-virus solutions’ market we understood that any hasty steps with Vista-compatible version release are not justified, as IT-departments of the majority of our customers – small and medium companies and corporates - do not hurry to upgrade to Windows Vista. For us it was more important to considerably increase the detection level of ill-intentions codes, as well as improve all main components of our product.”

The users who have already registered for beta-test of Dr.Web for Windows (new engine) don’t have to install new program distribution – it’ll be upgraded automatically.

www.drweb.com

tD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Seems like beta time...........;)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks for heads up, Technodrome :thumb:

Downloading now. Is the Web Scanner present and has the "fast Scan" made the on-demand scanner noticeably quicker?

4. Technodrome

No and Yes.

But keep in mind the "fast scan" scans limited number of files:

* Random access memory
    * Boot sectors of all disks
    * Startup objects
    * Boot disk root directory
    * Root of disk storing Windows installation directory
    * Windows system directory
    * User documents folder ("My documents")
    * System temporary files
    * User temporary files

tD

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Looks good, but damn the interface still looks like its from the Win98 era :(

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Wonderful, just downloaded and installed. Please notice I'm using the Russian version, but it's working nice for so far. The HTTP scanner is not included, but I don't bother about that too much. The only good HTTP scanner around of the one found in avast! anyway.

Personally I like the new interface from the scanner, just plain yet functional and unbreakable, typically Russian :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Riva.jpeg
    :-*

7. Technodrome

I totally agree.

tD

8. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

The main scanner seems to have a little more throughput (KB/s) with this new version on old processors (like my Athlon XP). The scanning-process just feels somewhat smoother, hope others can confirm this.

Also I installed the English version on a virtual machine, if you find any translation quirks please report them. I'm not a native English speaker... :oops:

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

New toy to play with...:D Thanks for posting this Technodrome. :thumb: Anyone having any problems with the beta yet?

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

is this the new full GUI, doesnt seem enough.....

only the scanner screen has changed, and not by much id say, not enough to keep stating "A NEW GUI"

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7099/untitledgx6.jpg

on my first scan (try) of the new beta: scans memory, then freezes on this file in the screenshot.

2nd scan, it didnt do the above, but i clicked full scan and it didnt do anything, just says "Scan in progress..." althogh its doing nothing.

edit: it did finally start scanning

hmm

11. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I agree with you here. But honestly, I think I'm okay with it. After testing out ESS I have to say that's it nice not having every product conforming to the same mundane inderface. Both NOD32 2.7 and Dr Web have very unique interfaces and I'm glad Dr Web still does. With might have just sealed the deal for me. Now let's see hoe smooth the on-access scanner is and how the on-demand scanner has been improved.

I am glad they were able to keep things at ridiculously low space requirement, 11 meg, and that they were able to still have the on-demand scanner use windows themes. I really makes it look good.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

also it still doesnt update automatically.

its not bad for a beta but definatly needs some stuff ironing out.

when scanning, everything seems to drag such as the internet too, even though its not got an http scanner, could be my machine though.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I did notice that webpages were loading slower with the beta installed. :doubt:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know its just a beta, but i expected more to be inside it.

i expected a better GUI, a few more features or few more settings or screens to play around with.

you know? ... am i just expecting too much here?

i do like the change though, but i just expected a bit more thats all :)

it is nice to see a 4.44 release, even if it is early beta probably, we should at least be thankfull for this.

when you click 'full scan' etc, it does take absolutely ages before doing something though, a bug im sure will be fixed asap as its quite noticable.

15. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I enjoy the new scanner interface also, but I don't see the slow loading of web pages.
    Still pretty smooth, although as stated updater is still broken.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont see slow loading websites, just sometimes ive noticed a 'jerk' in my mouse cursor when scanning, dont know if its related or not.

updater not working, and scans take ages to start, i checked it on custom c:/ scan and it took 14 minutes before it started scanning any files, strange.

i did expect more, but at least its 'more' than the last beta, and im sure there will still be loads more to come aswell.

still a v.happy dr.web customer here.

some slight changes to spidermail, inserting X-HEADER into messages option wasnt there before for one.

17. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I hope this wasn't a bad omen for the good Doc. :eek: :ouch:

Attached Files:

18. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i can't believe they call that,as shown is first post,a new GUI?? they have slightly polished off the GUI that's it..

19. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Completed a full scan with drweb and found nothing, then downloaded drweb beta and completed a full scan. This is what it found, I think they are all FP.Scan time with drweb beta the same as old drweb.
    Badcompany.

Attached Files:

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the scan time is slower in the new beta....... by some bit aswell.

we want and some people were promised a faster scan, now it gets slower?

sure you can argue it scans alot more things in the new beta, but so do all the other AV's in less than half the time, wayyy less than half.

i expect to see advancements in new betas, in this new one... i do not.

i am now slightly worrying about version 5.

21. Technodrome

This GUI below has been with us since mid 90s so to me this is a brand new GUI.:)

Attached Files:

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its not even close to being called a 'new GUI'

i also think they are scared to use ANY colour

it all looks too visual BASIC!

im just hoping there is more to come, for their sake.

23. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Totally Agree !!! Have you seen the new GUI from Kaspersky, very nice.
    BC.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive no real data on my laptop other than vista and a few programs such as acronis and itunes and stuff,

and a full scan still takes 1hr 15 minutes (previous beta which worked on vista took 39minutes - still too long, but now... even more a waste of time)

compare all this to nod32's 7 minutes on my machine, i dont care what they say about what its scanning, they need to fix this.

25. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

C.S.J- I find it very odd that you are complaining. You even said yourself that Dr Web was going to introduce features one at a time. Remember that? I think that is what they are doing? Give them a little time to introduce all their features before you even think of shipping jump. They just introduced a new gui, and it is new. Give them a little time. At least they are giving us info on new features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.