DrWeb 4.32 - update is working

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

What is the Local Control Server?
    From Dr Web support; "As to your questions. For XP we are not going to implement Spider-netting in the near future versions - the development has it in its to do tasks but we have too little information from Microsoft to be
    able to implement it in the way we did it for Windows 98."

So no Spider-netting under NT :'(

2. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Seeing that there doesn't seem to be a site to check for the correct numbers. Does everone have these numbers?

Attached Files:

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Crikeys, what a psychedelic-colored site THAT is! A bit blinding, wot? :cool:

In any event, TAG97 posted accurate update info on Wilder's Update thread at...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=45789

Thanks for doing that TAG. Uh... it sure would be nice if you would do this every day.

As for update status info on the DRW website, you can find it at...
    http://download.drweb.com/bases/?lng=en

... but above link tends to lag a day behind. I perceive DRW is still experience a combination of new-version/reorganization pangs. Thus, for the moment, we have to lean on each other for info & reassurance. The updater IS working now, but seems to get a tiny bit slow between around 7AM & 12 Noon, Moscow time (Moscow is 3 hours later than ZULU/UTC/Greenwich time).

P.S. If you are in the dark about zulu time (as am I) you can get a great, FREE world clock by clicking on the download link at...
    http://www.programming.de/

...then scroll down till you see "World Time Clock." I've been using it for 3 years.

grace & peace to all... bellgamin

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I've been away a few days and was wondering if the updates crisis had been solved, Also has an update to Version 4.32 been posted?? :eek: .

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Updates have been more reliable the last couple of days for me.

4.32 is recognized as the latest version of DrWeb, as you can tell from this site http://www.dials.ru/english/dsav_toolkit/versions.htm . sald.com also recognizes 4.32 but did not issue a change log :( . Note that sald.com uses drweb-online.com for licenses which Blackcat pointed out (in the first page) as not being an official site used by DrWeb. I have only had experiences with dials.ru which uses element 5. Unfortunately it is still down at this moment. When I downloaded the 4.32 setup, and updated for the first time it will download the modules for 4.32a. But version nuber remains 4.32.

I find tech support with DrWeb questionable at best... still...

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Updates are working okay now. Some minor changes were made to 4.32 -- evidently DRW did not see fit to recognize those minor changes with any change to the version number. Some of us refer to it as 4.32a, but DRW does not.

If you do not have 4.32a (sic), it will be automatically downloaded & installed when you use DRW's "automatic update" button. If you have the latest signatures, then you also have the 4.32a version of DRW BUT -- psssst! -- don't tell anybody. I think the DRW wants folks to *think* that 4.32 was perfect as originally released. :ninja:

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks all for your replies, yes the good doctor seems to be updating and working OK. Wouldnt it be nice if they could email their customers or post here in Wilders keeping us advised?. This update has been similar to the new NOD release I was reading up on here in their forum. Lots of little bugs but at least NOD has people who are active in the forum offering advise. Cheers.... :D

9. hello-432

hello-432 Guest

Is the auto update working yet--i can't seem to get it to work--i have manually d/l the latest updates.

Im new to dr.web---how often do the updates come out--nothing like kaspersky i noticed.

Have you guys heard anything when there autoupdate servers will be working?

I do like the low resources it uses--very unlike kaspersky.

10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Auto update is working for me. Go to settings in the main DrWeb scanner. Under updates make sure you put in your user name and password. The update url that i have been using is http://www.antivir.ru/drweb/update/ . Also make sure you have the DrWeb Scheduler loaded. Edit the task for updating as you see fit.

It is daily at the very least, but sometimes more. As I recall KAV went to almost hourly updates, which i do not think many (if any) AVs can compete with at this time. Having the resources that KAV has at its disposal definitely makes it a very powerful AV.

11. hello-432

hello-432 Guest

Thats great.

Its sorta a pain to have to type that info in everyday when i want to check.

Do you have any idea when the auto updates will be working.

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If you copy and paste the update link into the update section on the main scanner then enter your username & password and click apply it should save the information for you. There should be no need to enter it again til the next DrWEB version upgrade, and maybe not even then. With this 4.32 upgrade my information copied over without a hitch..Cheers :D

13. hello-432

hello-432 Guest

Great--ill do that

But if dr web wants to make it in the real world they will need to have that auto updater working--there will be many people that will only want to have to hit the auto button.

14. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Can you clarify what you mean or want when you say that the auto updater is not working?
    As Mongol and I mentioned all one has to do is save your update info (update url, user name, and password) in the DrWeb scanner and then make sure you have the DrWeb Scheduler running and configured to your liking. For example, after I applied my update info in the DrWeb scanner I configured the DrWeb Scheduler to check for updates hourly at a certain time. When I turn on my computer DrWeb's Scheduler automatically runs the updater to check for updates, and then checks again for updates at the time that i specified in the Scheduler. This is all done automatically, all you need to do is configure it the first time.

IMO this offers more flexibility than if one were to just have an "auto button." Especially if the updates are large (fortunately drweb does not suffer from this heh) or if one is using dial up. I think most AV updaters now offer at least some options as far as auto updates are concerned. So I do not see this as one of the major factors in preventing DrWeb from making it out there. I think one can make a larger argument on their tech support or lack there of :ninja:

But a good point that can be brought about from all this is that the Scheduler does have to be loaded for DrWeb to retreive auto updates (unless one were to schedule it in windows or something). And on my computer the Scheduler actually takes up more resources than spider guard.

15. hello-432

hello-432 Guest

Hello

Yes--i don't care for running the DrWeb Scheduler because of the extra resources it uses.I manual update everything i have .I decide when i want to update and i don't use extra resources--setting up with the name and password is ok though.

But it should have been more like kaspersky 4.5 that i also have--just click once and update

thanks for your time to help.

16. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

What resources if any does the scheduler use?. I've found the whole virus program using few if any resources at all. Of course I am a former Norton user...now there we are talking resource usage.

17. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I am not at my home computer right now, and as resource usage differ on computers, this is a really rough estimate. But as I recall SpiderGuard on my computer uses about 2mb of RAM while Scheduler uses 4mb (closer to 5).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.