DrWatson Error/Crash of Wordpad

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SammyJack, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Can someone help me test, and see if it is possible to reproduce, a error I get in Wordpad?

If you will,please start with a fairly large word document,(over 200kb.)
    open,click edit,select all.
    then, while the text is highlighted in blue,click the "find"icon in the Wordpad toolbar.

Do you get a Dr.Watson error message,followed by a crash of Word pad?

On my Windows XpSp3 machine I do.
    With smaller documents under a 100kb,there is no crash,and the "find"search box comes up normally.

It is not a big deal,as I can not thank of why anyone would WANT to do these operations in that order,
    but it was something I discovered while trying to get a wonky font,since removed to work,and I wonder if it is normal.

thanks

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes i do also, running XP SP3.

Caused by "The instruction at 0x5f801088 referenced memory at 0x000000004. The memory could not be read."

Really strange considering how old and common Wordpad is to have a bug like that.

3. SammyJack

Thanks 1boss1!!
    Yes it is a little strange,I am just glad it is not
    a "weirdness" peculiar to my system!
    sj

PS:And that is the exact same error message,also.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Nope not just your system.. Unless both our systems came out of the "weird" batch.

I don't use Wordpad, but i noticed the "find" box is right next to the "cut" button and going "select all" then "cut" is a common action so it would be easy to hit the wrong button.

I wonder how many people have spent hours writing a 200kb document, then crashed it and lost the lot. :cool:

5. SammyJack

"I wonder how many people have spent hours writing a 200kb document, then crashed it and lost the lot."

Exactly!
    I do use Wordpad,and tend to convert PDF Ebooks to that format.
    So I deal with a lot of the 200KB+documents.
    what surprised me also is nothing I could find on Google dealt with this issue.

I also use Sandboxie,and I use Returnil,But I do not force Windows explorer to run Sandboxed,and never run Wordpad Sandboxed.
    I have also confirmed this error without either active.
    I do not dare to enter the morass of attempting to report a bug to Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.