DRW 4.32; problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

A while ago, I bought DRW av as NOD32 on demand scanner always crashed if I tried to open it (and that started after a time of all working well).

Now, today, DRW AV's scanner terminates if I try to open it: a visual C runtime library error message of "abnormal program termination" appears, which tells me nothing. Actually, the scanner starts and runs a bit,
    before terminating.

1) Any ideas of why my AVs seem to give up the ghost, after a few weeks? I don't see anything sinister at play here, but this is getting vexing.

2) After upgrading DRW to 4.32b the other day, and getting updates daily I got message the other day of "viral activity: attempting to install FSAPI hook at C1A8BDED" which also tells me nothing, really. Meaning: was it a legit program that set off a possible FP in DRW AV, or was it a real nasty? But, as DRW doesn't tell one just what the alleged culprit is... that's no help.
    (For good or ill, I elected to "Ignore" the above warning msg., assuming it to be another FP - as when scanner did work, it found nothing nasty on this PC and other security apps claim this PC's ok, too).

Any thoughts on the problem, is appreciated.
    SG1 (Pat)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AFIK, nothing in DRW uses Visual C runtime library.
    DRW has spotted bad stuff in my computer before, but it has never done the sort of things you are describing. In each case, DRW clearly notified me that I had a nasty, identified it by name, then gave me choices as to what I wanted DRW to do about it {cure, move, rename, etc}.

Security apps sometimes conflict with one another. Are you running multiple security apps? If so, which ones? Also, have you done a registry search to see if you got rid of ALL the residue from any prior antiviruses or firewalls that you have uninstalled?

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As bellgamin has commented on, Dr Web can be a little temperamental at times, particularly with a 'mature' system.

I find that it does best on a 'fresh' Windows install with no other AV's installed. Run a registry cleaner to try and clean up any debris left from previously installed programs, particularly AV's.

A good one to try is RegSupreme; http://www.macecraft.com/brief_rs/.

Then I would try a fresh install of Dr Web.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.