DriveSentry free no more?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegr

pegr Registered Member

After a visit to the DriveSentry website today, I'm concerned that there does not appear to be an upgrade path short of buying the program again at the new increased price. I only purchased DriveSentry 3.3.0.4 two months ago and now it looks as though I may have to pay the full price again in order to upgrade to the latest version.

If DriveSentry intend to use this as their pricing model, this could work out a lot more expensive than an annual subscription, especially if they release frequent updates to the program, which have to be repurchased each time.

I'm also concerned that there no longer appears to be a trial available, as I imagine this could discourage a number of potential customers. For a program that has a community advisor component, limiting the potential user base by not offering either a free version or a free trial might not be the most sensible thing to do.

IMHO this is where Prevx, for example, are smart because, by allowing Prevx 3.0 to be used free of charge, they are able to gather statistics from a much wider user base than just those users with paid licenses. That way everybody wins: licensed users (like me) get the benefit of the increased accuracy of the heuristic and behavioural analysis that results from having a large user base, and non-paying users get the benefit of some additional free monitoring software.

I hope that all of this is simply an error on the part of DriveSentry in updating their website, and that both these concerns will be addressed shortly. Otherwise, it's goodbye DriveSentry and back to Avira AntiVir for me.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I have posted a 'feature' request for information on DS forum (changelog and fee policy), also reported the post as misplaced/off topic in the feature request section to get attention :D

Lets wait for their reply

3. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

Ta, so it would seem(not 100% yet) that they are in the process of ditching the free version and just doing the small fee one.
    Just not updated the websites completely yet.

4. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Free to me means something that I don't have to pay for.

That is free open source software.
    I don't see how an ad or a voluntary donation makes it "unfree"

Your point seems to be that something cannot be created without someone incurring a cost.
    Obviously this is the case , but if the cost is not directly passed to the end user , then I think its fair to call that "free".

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, free means you don't pay. I'm not saying the opposite. But, that doesn't mean that the software application you're making use of didn't/doesn't have a cost. Everything has a cost, and money is needed.

And, I may develop a software application for free and not provide the source code. So, it's free and closed source. I may, however, develop a software application and make people pay for it, but I could release it's source code. Meaning, a paid product, but open source.

People do tend to make confusion between freeware and free (as in freedom) software.

For example, DriveSentry, when used to be free/still is, was/is not open source. So, just because some software application is open source, doesn't mean its free, as in you won't pay for it.

Those are different situations.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

A lot of people take the term lifetime licence to mean their personal lifetime and expect 30-40 years usage :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

not really but at least a 6 months:p hey got my self a licence but now that i want to trial in one of my vista box i think i have to pay to use " pay again " "dont think so":argh:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i rather buy Defensewall for all my pc's and use amlwarebytes and superantispyware free for scaning just in case than buying another shield that later on says that have to buy again,too much waste of money:)

9. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

DriveSentry have confirmed to me today by email that the free version of the program will still be offered via sites like Download.com

They have removed it from their own site while they launch a new affiliate program.

I have also requested confirmation that the ability to update the "free" version manually without cost will also remain as without this it won't be much use anyway.

10. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Confirmed: The free version can still be updated manually.

11. webster

webster Registered Member

The Security Suite is now the paid version, and current paid users cannot upgrade to this for free, as i see it.

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Wow... that's even worse. :blink:

13. webster

I could be wrong, but i just can`t find the offer, if it`s there :doubt:

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ha,

Got a PM of DS admin: existing lisence holders can upgrade for 10 dollars/euros/pounds depending on their country of residence.

A splendid reward to loyal launching customer who pay 20 dollars/euros/pounds in total while new customers pay 15 dollars/euros/pounds for the new suite.

Current DS part of suite is same as 3.3.0.4, so when your not interested in DS go anyware it does not make sense to upgrade.

As for me: I will abandon to use DS, since I am disappointed in their customer loyalty approach and there are good alternatives, for instance:
    a) Avira free beta with Proactive
    b) combo of Panda Cloud with hitman pro free 3.5 beta

Regards Kees

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

"asta la vista drivesentry" "gone" ;) i'll give comodo antivirus a shot:thumb:

16. webster

Thanks Kees :thumb:. Yes, very disappointing.

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for posting the reply they gave you Kees.
    I have to agree with your opinion.
    They must think us users are pretty gullible to fall for this.

I think their ads calling this a suite now is also a little misleading.
    In security, when the term suite is used, one thinks of an av and a firewall.
    When I first saw their ad my first impression was that they added the outbound protection to DS.
    Fool me once, shame on you..

Looks like DS may have to be added to my "will not use list" :thumbd:
    You won't fool me twice! :cool:

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I was gonna say my two cents, but won't turn this into an A vs. B thread - don't worry guys, I could hold myself from going there. :D

19. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

I was on the verge of trialing, then buying. I won't now. This is actually rude to their first
    customers. Lets you see how they may treat following customers.

20. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree. Having paid £10 just two months ago for DriveSentry 3.3.0.4 and a further £10 for GoAnywhere, I too am disappointed in their concept of customer loyalty. I have now uninstalled DriveSentry and am back on Avira AntiVir.

I didn't expect to make a one-off lifetime payment but I did expect more than a couple of months use before being asked to pay again to continue running the latest version. I do not plan to use or recommend DriveSentry in future. :mad:

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree.
    To ask loyal subscribers to pay more in total than new subscribers is an odd way of rewarding loyalty.:thumbd:

22. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

total agree :thumbd: lame approach

23. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Rather dismal approach to marketing alienating your existing customer-base by asking them to pay more for very little as I see it.

Also, given that most people get security software through recommendations from the local/family "expert" alienating members of one of the top security forums is plain stupid.

When I buy software I look for a 1) good report on here to make me look for 2) reviews elsewhere and then I look at the 3) product's forum.

I'll get my HIPS fix from Defender. Not a big lover of them in general as I don't like being asked to say yeh or nay as to whether a product is good or bad. DS was good in that respect with fewer pop-ups. Doesn't really matter now as Avira and Avast are incorporating behaviour-blockers.

Ian

24. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

@ian

u can go for comodo cIS great hips for free , like was DS before

cheers

25. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yet another who dropped DS -- if they can't list updates to their products on their forum and explain them, then how can you rely on their future development? :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.