Drives in RAID and NOD32. Does NOD32 get configured differently?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Supersnake, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Am going to have a gaming computer configured with either:

A. Two drives arranged in RAID 0 (striped set without parity)
    or
    B. Four drives arranged in RAID 0+1 (a striped set and a mirrored set)

This brings up a couple of questions. I never used multiple drives in RAID so please excuse me if the questions appear naive.

QUESTION: Do I have to configure NOD32 any differently for multiple drives in RAID as opposed to multiple drives in non-RAID?

QUESTION: Let’s say I go with the RAID 0+1

(Part 1) I am surfing and a virus enters my system, does the virus get replicated onto my second redundant drive?

(Part 2) With IMON and AMON enabled and assuming that one or both of them intercepts or detects the virus
    how many instances of that virus are going to appear in quarantine? One? Two?

Will be running VISTA and using a hardware controller.
    Thanks in advance,
    Supersnake

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    No, hardware RAID does not make a difference to the operating system or applications...they don't even know the difference...to them it's still just a single hard drive.

3. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Yeah.. you're absolutely right!

and about naive questions..... questions are only stupid if they are not asked! That's why we have this forum :)

Greetings from a rainy Holland

4. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Part 1) I am surfing and a virus enters my system, does the virus get replicated onto my second redundant drive?

As long IMON is configured and working properly the Virus would be instantly intercepted on the parent drive and thus any mirror drives would not be affected

(Part 2) With IMON and AMON enabled and assuming that one or both of them intercepts or detects the virus how many instances of that virus are going to appear in quarantine? One? Two?

Same answer..once intercepted on the parent drive there should be no dupes of the Virus on any mirrored drives because the sync of the parent to the mirror process would be halted..

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    With RAID, from an operating system point of view, or from an application point of view..it's still seen as a single hard drive anyways. There is no duplication possible..because there is no second hard drive seen. A virus can make it past an antivirus program, so when IMON or AMON misses it...it hits the system..and the "hard drive"...but there is no "duplication" done from the OS or application point of view anyways. An infected file, or however many files infected..is still only a single instance of it. So as far as cleaning goes..you still treat it the exact same way as if you had a single hard drive.

A "synch of the parent drive to the mirror.." to be halted is not possible with RAID..the OS doesn't see it that way..thus an antivirus program cannot use a module such as AMON to intercept it.

6. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

SaphireX and YeOldeStonecat, thank you both for your explanations. Up until now I have incorrectly presumed that the mirrored drive was a distinctly separate drive that contained a second and replicated operating system. However, after your expanded information I now view all "mirrors" as merely being just that - a mirrored image of one drive, one OS.

And greetings to you duijv023 in rainy Holland.
    Supersnake

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.