Drivers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I've read several threads where folks have discussed installing a new and clean version of there OS - for example, upgrading from a starter edition of windows 7. Is it really as easy as buying the new OS and installing it? How about drivers? Wouldn'tI have to be concerned about drivers for hardware attached to the computer - printers, CD/DVD, etc? Would I have to track them all down and install them after I install the new OS?

What else would I have to be concerned with - other than being sure I meet minimum hardware requirements?

Thanks,
    Len

2. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Short answer: Yes, you have to find the drivers and install them.

First tip: Disconnect your possible internet cable from your computer before format and reinstall. Connect it only after you have installed the drivers and after you have made sure that the Windows Firewall is operational.

Printer drivers aren't crucial to the computer, and optical drives such as CD or DVD drives, don't require drivers at all. What you should look for are the drivers for the critical components - motherboard, graphics card, sound card, possible Intel SATA drivers, for example. If you have a brand computer, it's drivers are usually located at the manufacturer's website. If you have a custom-build computer, you have to hunt a little for the right drivers. We cannot point you to the right drivers if you don't give us detailed information on your computer parts (or manufacturer and model in case of brand computer).

After dealing with the necessary drivers, yes, you also have to install drivers for the attached to the computer, such as mouse, printer, etc. Mouse most propably works anyway, the driver just adds more functionality and in some cases, stability.

When drivers are ok, your first task would be to update through Windows Update.

From there on, it's pretty much up to you. I would advice you to read a good guide which has it's section on the installing prodecure too. Pick the guide which matches your operating system.

The guide is located here: http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

You should also activate your Windows after you can connect to the internet. After updating and activating, you should also download DirectX End-User Runtime from Microsoft. DirectX is a component which deals with graphics and sound, so it should be kept up-to-date.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

WOW - thank you for an excellent summary - definitely a candidate for the top 10 post list.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Make sure, that you have a driver for LAN/WiFi card, if Windows does not have it inbuilt, or you will not be able to connect to internet afterwards. I had problems like that. :rolleyes:

5. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

No problem!

Yes, definitely. Windows natively detects most settings nowadays, but it is advisable to install the right drivers anyway.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It really can be that easy. I've installed Windows 7 64-bit Pro, and everything worked out of the box, no reboot required. That was with wired internet though, my wifi card is pretty out-dated. Fortunately, found a working Vista 64-bit driver from original manufacturer.

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Also to be noted that there have been cases where drivers obtained from Windows update are actually older than the one installed in your system. So before updating any drivers via Windows update, always make a note of the driver version from device manager, and if necessary revert back to the old one.
    There is another source of drivers - component manufacturers, e.g. you can download latest drivers for broadcom, atheros, realtek, synaptics, intel etc from their websites, instead of going to your PC manufacturers' site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.