driverguidetoolkit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'd like to ask if anyone has used this DriverGuide Toolkit?
    DriverGuide Toolkit identifies and lists drivers installed on your computer and, when connected to the Internet, allows you to search DriverGuide.com (and other sources) for driver updates and manufacturer sites. In addition, it allows you to backup your currently installed drivers for safe keeping. Backing up your Windows driver files means that they will be available to you the next time you need to reinstall the driver or the whole operating system. DriverGuide Toolkit places the driver files in one organized location of your choosing.

i have updated afew drivers, but there might be some more i need to update, so if someone can recommend this i'll try it. :)

or, can you tell me how you update your drivers? and if my computer is running OK, do i need to update my drivers after an OS install? thanks :)

2. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Sounds interesting but I'd like to know more before I jump!

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My two cents. Windows update is pretty good about notifiying you about driver updates on XP.
    I have installed newer drivers for my Logitech mouse and lost some features.
    Therefore, my mouse driver is three years old.
    I have also rolled back some Nvidia drivers because they seemed to affect my system in a negative way.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Ron. next time i go to WU i'll go to that section and see what it says. i dont know about now, but there used to be something called the Windows Update Catalog which let you choose between 100s of different drivers. i might have a look and see if they still have it with the V5 updates. the old address is below. :)
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

i havent looked closely at the link below, but it might be what im talking about
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_update_catalog.htm

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

me too :) maybe if we wait someone who's tried it might tell us more

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I agree with ronjor regarding Windows Update. It seems the driver updates that show up there are quite stable, even though the version numbers often lag behind the drivers available from the manufacturer. Another safe option would be to get driver updates from your PC's manufacturer. If you build your own PCs, hardware-related boards like [H]ard|Forum can help you decide whether or not the latest drivers are worth installing.

Nick

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Nick. i think i'll just stick with WU then, especially as it's also the easiest option too. thanks :)

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

i use this, its a great tool, backups all ur drivers in notime, all sorted in folders, its really good and save to use
    give it a try :cool:

*edit*
    screenshots of dtoolkit in action

Attached Files:

9. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

folder

Attached Files:

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the info. fred22 :) it looks good, i'll download it and see how i go. thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.