Driver updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Long View, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a good driver updates program that is free. There are plenty for sale but I don't think that providing the latest driver is all that complex and can always be done manually.

2. axial

axial Registered Member

3. Long View

Thanks

I tried Driver Agent using Shadow defender but it would't work.

4. Long View

Have now tried PC Pitstop which has correctly identified the need for 3 updates
    - network drivers, graghics and sound drivers.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. axial

axial Registered Member

I've always been cautious about the company/people behind "free" services, but it looks like PCPitStop has some excellent credentials: About PC Pitstop

Wonder who's left at Gateway ...

7. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Is PC Pitstop free? Looks like it just scans and you have to pay for anything else?

8. Long View

unfortunately not. all that is needed though is a way to check on what drivers might need updating. I say might because so far I have't found anything like a perfect program. Windows update say that my sound card should be updated but the update prouces very poor sound. Each program I have tried seems to come up with very different conclusions. In the end though I only update with drivers from the original source so identifying possible updates is perhaps all that is really required

9. axial

axial Registered Member

Can anybody comment on whether any of the "driver scan" programs actually match (compare) the driver(s) found to the actual physical hardware itself?

Having recently done an unanticipated complete system overhaul (except for the hard drive) via ShadowProtect's Hardware Independent Restore, I'm now wondering whether there could be "orphaned" drivers from the original system still installed on the new system.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

The full scan is free but you need to register (have never received any spam from it) to use it. Once the scan is completed, you receive a report in these main areas: Summary, Performance, Security, Software and Drivers. Each area has sub-sections and any Red X is followed by explanations and tweaks on how to better that area or sub-section.

Long View is correct. To obtain drivers, you have to pay for Driver Alert, however, the full scan will tell you the driver's manufacturer and belonging hardware, its current driver and the proposed driver's date and version number. Armed with that info, I just go the manufacturer's site and download the specific version from there.

Edit: axial, you should look into Pitstop for the info you're seeking.

11. Long View

No - not possible. SP deletes the original partition /drive before restoring. How it allows for new hardware I don't know.

My way of working so far has been to use Shadoe Defender/Returnil/or deep freeze and then install a driver checking program. check for drivers and then restore to my clean system. Then update the drivers. That is why I am looking for the best free program. I don't want to pay but I don't want to use a paid for program knowing I would never pay for it.

12. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Google: In Windows XP, simply uninstall the drivers who do not respond ( = not start ) and restart Windows XP; and then XP it reinstalls the drivers itself!

Do not forget: go to Windows Update/Equipment updates,optional.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

At one point this machine had ATI vid card, now NVIDIA based. I thought I did a through job removing remnants of ATi enter Free

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Which successfully deleted hundred of files associated with, long history drivers.

NOTE. Backup is not automatically ticked, do it then delete.

Occasionally I'll scan using "Driver Agent" print the recommended updates, then off to the mfg's site, for manual update.

Some of the drivers recommended, I believe are not needed & only touted by Driver Agent to make it look more impressive, so you pay for the service. Chipset drivers comes to mind, this led me to calling Intel support & a long explanation of why, a version number increase, identified by Driver Agent was bogus & of no value.

See: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142939&highlight=Driver+Agent

Take Care
    Rico

14. Long View

Hi Rico - I have pretty much reached the same conclusion

@ Proprootect - this may work for some but if you remove the sound or graphics you don't get an update. How do you remove the inf ?

I think that all you can do is see what various programs recommend and then go to intel, nvidia, samsung etc and see what they say is their latest and take it from there. I am now convinced that using an automated database service is asking for trouble.

15. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

'I am now convinced that using an automated database service is asking for trouble.'
    YES, Long View, I have already read the same thought somewhere!

Perhaps a reinstallation of Windows would be best solution? It's easy with my Windows XP: I have the opportunity to launch Winnt32.exe:
    C:\Windows\I386\Winnt32.exe. EASY.

The NVIDIA driver- to search on Windows Update ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  16. Long View

Reinstalling xp does not update the inf nor LAN drivers, nor sound drivers, nor graphics,......... scanner drivers, mouse drivers, keyboard drivers.......

17. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I know http://www.radarsync.com/ was mentioned on another thread somewhere. Looks good, but not tested it. Any opinions on it?

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I tested it, but the results were disappointing. The scan said I needed to update the Realtek device that was already clearly up to date and offered a download to update the Thunderbird email client, which turned out to be in a foreign language anyway. (I didn't run either updates.)

19. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  20. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Nightfox,

Updated a bunch of drivers using Drivermax very cool:D I'm not sure how much of a difference it made, will see. My 1394 update was not as smooth as the others, but has been resolved.

Thanks for the good post/find

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.