Driver Radar Pro v1.5 (Freeware)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by novirusthanks, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

When I turned my pc on tonight, I got the driver handle error for the first time. My setup hasn't changed at all fyi

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

A bug maybe in NVT?
    I have just installed "keyscrambler " and i had NVT DR turned off during install and reboot no alert as expected.
    On reboot with the keyscrambler exited manually i turned NVT DR back on and launched keyscrambler.
    no alert from NVT DR.
    It seems the keyscrambler has been missed by NVT DR?

The Program is here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/keyscrambler-3-4-released.364493/

3. controler

controler Guest

what is the big difference between paid version?

4. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Overkill

I'll optimize the loading of DRP driver in the next build.

@trott3r

I'll download KeyScambler tomorrow and check it to see what happens.

@controler

DRP is freeware :)

5. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

6. Overkill

You rock Andreas!

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

In Settings, there is a "Driver" tab. In that tab is the option to "Copy the driver files to a specific folder." What is that for -- is it to create a backup of all your drivers?

8. Enternal

Enternal Registered Member

Hello Andreas!

Wow, there's been a lot of changes since then. Thanks for everything and also glad that Driver Radar now also scans the Program Files directory and system32 directory by default for Recommended Settings.

Anyway, I noticed that the installer had a weird bug. Even if I unchecked to visit the website after the installer is done, it still attempts to open up the website. I don't think that supposed to happen. Also, does it always have to create a url link on the desktop? Thanks!

9. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@TomAZ

Yes, that option can be used for three main reasons:

1) Create a backup of all loaded kernel-mode drivers
    2) In a malware analysis environment, it can be used to grab the kernel-mode drivers loaded by rootkits
    3) Save the loaded kernel-mode drivers for a future analysis or to handle an incident response

@Enternal

As it is a free software, I added that by default when the program is installed it opens the nvt site and it creates a desktop icon to nvt website.

This is done only to promote a little our website with free software, but I can add these options (un)checkable, so you may disable them when the software is installed.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's a small enough thing to ask for in a free program of such outstanding security value. Anyhow, I like scanning NVT's website from time to time. It's like panning for gold. :thumb:

11. Enternal

Enternal Registered Member

Ah I thought as much and I surely don't mind since I'm thinking the same thing bellgamin is thinking. However my initial concern is now invalid. For some reason, I was very sure that there was a checkmark that said something along the line of "Open up NoVirusThanks Website" which I unchecked but it still opened up the website which is the reason for my post. Apparently I just did another install and that checkmark never showed up. Guess I was out of my mind or something. Anyway, thanks!

12. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I think that Novirusthanks has produced some very nice freeware and I've just tried Driver Radar Pro. The things that spoil it for me are the hyperlinks and the tweet link. I really don't like those up-front elements and I think that if a developer wants a link to his/her site he can put it unobstrusively without hyper links and If the software is good then people will look for the url or address of the developer and follow it up. I believe that up-front hyperlinks are counter-productive in that they uglify a good software because it makes it advert focused rather than software. This post is meant as constructive criticism and I applaud the developer for the range and quality of his work.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  13. bellgamin

When I updated NVT ERP to 3.0, Driver Radar Pro (DRP) made no objection. However, when I rebooted the next day, DRP blocked ERP's driver. I do not monitor daily reboots so I don't know if DRP popped an alert before blocking ERP's driver.

I put DRP into learning mode then rebooted. It was a bit of a PITA, but it worked.

2 questions
    1- Is there an easier way to get DRP to acknowledge/accept a changed driver?

2- Why didn't DRP ask me about ERP's driver when I installed ERP?

14. 2muchtime

2muchtime Registered Member

Exactly! +1

15. bellgamin

Hmmm... NVT must be taking a well-deserved vacation.

16. Overkill

What type of malware will drp block? I'm assuming rootkits? I had it installed alongside erp in a vm against some malware packs and drp did nothing.

17. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What's the most current version of DRP and where can it be downloaded?

18. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

19. controler

controler Guest

20. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Experienced the same thing here.

21. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

404 Not Found

22. controler

controler Guest

so what happened to them? Nother sellout?

23. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@TomAZ @controler

The latest version of DRP can be downloaded directly from:
    http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/driver-radar-pro/

I just removed the beta downloads because they turned into stable version v1.5

@Overkill

DRP can block the installation/loading of unknown kernel-mode drives (.sys files). Ring0 (Kernel-Mode) rootkits installs the .sys file when the PC is infected, so with DRP you can prevent it.

@bellgamin

I'll see what can be done about this in the next days.

DRP does not have an "alert/interactive mode", it blocks by default the loading of unknown drivers.

You should check the events tab to see what happened, it should correctly detect ERP's sys file when it is loaded.

Sorry for the delay in the reply :)

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Can you install over the top of a previous beta, or is it clean install only?

25. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

Yes, you can install it over the top, make sure to close DriverRadarPro.exe process before installing the new version, it will be overwritten with the new files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.