Driver Agent

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Notok,

Just tried all above security apps. off + set ZA & SS not to start with windows:

ran the chipset software it did not ask, to reboot: Note only the first try/install did it prompt for the reboot. I rebooted & no luck

So infinst_autol.exe is unzipped somewhere on the machine & it thinks, perhaps its already installed, hence not prompting for a reboot on subsequent retry's of infinst_autol.exe.

I wonder if it could be because, this being a Sony Vaio, that this is wrong software for Sony. Sony is very proprietary changes, stuff?

What a pain in the neck this is, & the network adapter was smooth as silk.

Thanks
    rico

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

Found two things of interest:

infinst_autol.exe unzipped to c:\program files\intel - Thought maybe a setup.exe, can't find.

Add/Remove shows entry 865 chipset driver, tried to uninstall, but was prompted to insert the disk or path to setup.ini - I aborted the uninstall as Im'm not sure which setup.ini its looking for. Also searched HD for setup.ini.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

afaik, u can still rollback drivers even if the drivers were installed by setup program.

also, i did not know PC Wizard was made by the same people as CPU-Z. i thought it was just another utility; maybe ill check it out.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there are two versions - a zip (standalone) and an .exe (install)

PC Wizard will show you all your hardware along with the drivers used, and it will also open your browser to the driver makers download page, so you can get the latest drivers.

it also does benchmarking, computer configuration and some other stuff too.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Messrs Iceni60, WSFuser, Notok

Thank you for the heads up regarding pcwizard; however I've indentifiet the chipset & already have several programs similar - SIW, Everest, & info only Belarc.

The $64.00 question is: See post, this thread #17 - I need to match one of 6 choices (from intel's readme) to my device mgr. (see pic post #17) then right click it > properties >etc....

Also in Intel's readme they have an option called "Interactive Install" which as WSFuser mentions is double clicking a desktop setup icon, & does not involve dev. mgr.. UNfortunately it failed & does not give a second opportunity. The extracted/unzipped files show up in add/remove, if i could un-install it then i would get a second chance to re-install. Unfortunately add/remove asks for "setup.ini" & i do not have a clue which setup.ini it wants, let alone a path for it, I'm also not sure if i did find the right setup.ini file to aim it at, it may mess with the exsisting (working) old drivers.

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Did it already go through the install wizard, and you're just expecting something else, or has it not gone through the install wizard itself?

If no luck, you may want to try going to the Sony site and look up the downloads for your particular system. This is always the safest way to go.

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

Hi,

are u using XP btw?+ i noticed its a Intel i865PE Chipset?
    if yes check step 9 for XP in readme.txt
    rightclick infinst_autol.exe
    extract files
    rightclick my computer
    properties-hardware-device manager
    click view-check "device by connection"
    scroll down to the usb host controllers
    2xclick controllers
    drivers,update driver,no,no at this time,install from a list of specific location,check "include this location"
    browse to extracted files/folder "xp" in my case
    click ok and each driver will be updated showing:
    http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3324/shot118200603059168200615550si3.jpg

ps:disable PG etc..be sure nothing can block it

thats how i fixed it on xp pro..same stuff on:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Notok - The ineractive install is double click on the icon, it then unzipped > then its supposed to reboot the machine > upon completion of reboot on-screen instructions should appear & accept the default - This did not happen! You do not get a second chance (security apps in the way etc) to try the install again. Should you try again the machine will not reboot & doing so does not bring up the expected on-screen instructions.

Sony - there site, last update, for chipset, bios etc. approx. late 2003! Sony is very proprietary & is loath to update. Also there support is bad.

The offical intel response:

Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

For your reference, your Email Case Number is: 6818673

Periodically, Intel releases updates for the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility. These updates are primarily to address new Intel(R) chipset releases. From time to time, a new version of the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility might be released that could contain a bug fix.

Since newer versions of the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility basically target new chipsets, when installing the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility, driver dates, within the device manager, will not change to a later version. This is due to the fact that the drivers that are already installed, are the latest ones that optimally configure your chipset for USB, PCI, AGP and other chipset functionality.

Intel generally recommends that you do not update to the newer version if you are not experiencing issues with the version of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility that is currently installed on your system.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/upgrade.htm

Note - I did send Carlos a long email explaining everything I've done to try to install, the new chipset software. My understanding is "interactive install failed, did not bring up on-screen instructions, as I either have the latest "chipset software" or it does not work with my older 865G chipset. Therefore trying to install the software from device manager would not update my machine either. What particularly blows is intel's documentation for the software - intel states that the software is for 865G chipset.

When I used interactive install - the files unzipped to C:\program files\intel & can be seen in add/remove programs. Fair enough I can accept Carlos's statement that it won't work. Then I would like to uninstall the software which was unzipped by infinst_autol.exe - add/remove prompts for path to setup.ini. Not sure what to do here & Carlo's failed to respond to that particular portion of the email. Seems me if it won't work there should be a way to remove it.

I wonder what would happen if I deleted the folder c:\program files\intel - then run RegSeeker & let it find all the broken registry entries?

Thanks Guys
    rico

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello All,

I sent an email to Carlos at intel asking how to remove, the software that failed to update my system. His reply we do not supply a uninstaller. So it's a "Catch 22" we offer you this software, which matches all specifications, however it won't work & you can't remove it.

Brave Rico deleted c:\program files\intel > reboot > machine still works (it's because I had my fingers crossed, & holding on to my rabbits foot) > RegSeeker found 96 items in the registry, mostly c:\program files\intel "file not found" > reboot > all is well, I still have my old or newest chipset software, for this machine.

I'll bet you a dollar to doughnut that if i formatted & used infinst_autol.exe, I'll bet it would work. Stay tuned, next time I format I'll post my results.

Thanks Guys & as always Take Care
    rico

11. WSFuser

if youre gonna format, check for updated drivers of your other hardware. good luck

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Just got off the phone with a manager from Intel, (phone support is not available for chipset), what seemed to me a lack of communication between me & Carlos, prompted me to ask to speak to a supervisor - Hence the phone call.

The infinst_autol.exe is not really a driver it's an information file. Duh! Ok! the interactive install, I attempted, (dbl click on downloaded file) failed, or did not "prompt me to follow the on-screen instructions & accept the default. Because the inf - was the same as I previously had, therefore attempting to install from device mgr would fail or accomplish nothing. What actually happened was I over wrote the existing inf file with the new download.

Next Me thinking this is a failed update - now I want to remove the failed software. I did by deleting c:\program files\intel ran Regseeker & all seemed normal. This was because the OS was using its own version of inf files. Jason the Intel mgr. had me remove the registry inem: HKLM_local machine\software\intel\infinst - next we re-ran infinst_autol.exe & rebooted. According to Jason "driver agent" (remember the original scan for drivers) is not smart enough to realize that the inf file I had is the same as what i downloaded which is called ver 8. And should i ever format after the OS is installed I should/can run the newly downloaded chipset software or infinst_autol.exe.

Geez! I kinda sorta understand, now that's scary!!

Thanks & I think we can put this puppy to bed, as always

Take Care
    rico

13. WSFuser

finally :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.