Drive Vaccine PC Restore Plus 8

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by alloucho, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Drive Vaccine PC Restore Plus 8 is a reboot to restore solution from Horizon DataSys. Does it support reboot softwares like AVs?? I have downloaded a trial and install it on a VM. It seems that it supports that, but i have some BSODs.:blink:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

AFAIK, not many members use this software. I think you better contact the support department of HDS to get help.
    I assume, it can't handle reboot softwares, like most of these simple boot-to-restore solutions., you better ask HDS. :)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I doubt it can vaccine your MBR either so i would follow Erik's advice and ask them, but they probably don't know that much about their own products either :D

4. ErikAlbert

According my readings it protects MBR and CMOS. Seems close to a hardware recovery card, but BETTER according HDS. :D

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah, but remember you have to give them some time for actual usage on a user's PC first, as in weeks? maybe months if they're lucky? Before they begin to self-destruct :D

6. ErikAlbert

LOL, that is a possible scenario, that seems to repeat itself in each software of HDS, but let's be optimistic. :D

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's been innoculated alright, your system that is when installed to eventually wind up in the ER. :D

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just gave this app a bit of a trial. The good news is it can handle software that require a reboot. I did a simple test where i set it to restore in 10 mins then i went and made various changes and did multiple reboots. When the 10 mins was up it automatically restored my system back.
    It seems to be quite configurable allowing you to restore on logoff, restart, hourly, daily and weekly. It also gives you the option to save changes on the fly and it appears you can do this multiple times a session.
    Overall i'm quite impressed with it and its not too expensive either.

Edit - I put it through another simple test where i tried attacking the software itself, i terminated its processes and services and deleted its files and it was able to restore my system just fine.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I doubt that,not any mention of it on their site. ;)

i guess its akin to Returnil and the likes.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  10. ErikAlbert

Are you very sure about this and was the protection ON during the installation of the reboot-software ?
    The best way to test this is Anti-Executable (trial) because AE does the reboot automatically. If the reboot worked you will find at least an icon of AE in the system tray and the folder of AE under "Program Files", which is inaccessible.
    If you find nothing, it can't handle reboot-softwares, because AE was removed during the reboot, in other words NOTHING happened.

11. farmerlee

I set drive vaccine to restore in 10 minutes time. I then installed the latest version of AE and allowed it to do its thing. AE restarted the computer and everything booted up fine. I still had about 5 minutes of time remaining so i did some random changes to the system and rebooted a couple of more times. When the 10 minutes was up drive vaccine rebooted and restored my system, no sign of AE anywhere and all changed settings back to normal.
    So i'd say its pretty clear that it can handle software that requires a reboot. Its no surprise really, rollback can handle that kind of software and it appears drive vaccine is based on rollback technology.

12. ErikAlbert

Understood. I see now how it works. Didn't understand it the first time.
    FDISR's "Unfreeze/Freeze Previous/Reboot" (no timer) works in a similar way to handle reboot-softwares. FDISR has more than one option to do this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  13. farmerlee

I think drive vaccine is basically a stripped down, simplified version of rollback rx. But it seems to do its job well and its definitely another isr alternative.

14. ErikAlbert

I wonder why HDS needed FDISR Rescue, Drive Vaccine does a similar job.

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

its all about business,i guess in this case they bought out a serious opponent.

16. ErikAlbert

It's a possibility. I didn't want to put it this way, users have to make their own conclusions. I bashed HDS more than enough already. :D

17. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

welp i test it on my VM and its same as "baseline shield" from EF company.
    its DOESNT got the option of snapshots ....only 1 baseline which can be update when u press the correct button (like in ef/rb)

like farmerlee said it support boot to restore like returnil and also boot with out restore like SU to check apps and win update...

this is a feature also build in at EF/RB so what the point pay for it a great deal of $$ if u can add little more and buy EF?

chers:thumb:

18. farmerlee

Seeing as its only around half the price of rollback, its a good option for those who don't need all the extra features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.