Drive to be recovered not present?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by darktortise, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darktortise

darktortise Registered Member

Hi I need some assistance. I re-imaged my drive from the dell factory image because they told me too. Big mistake. I have an image that I made with TI10 build 4942 before dell did me in. I figured I would just image the drive again and get all my programs and files back only problem is when I go to select the drive that needs to re-imaged it is not there. My USB drives show up but not my local disks. Anyone ever had that problem or know how to overcome this?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That's odd .. it's usually the other way around. Try the acpi workaround as detailed in the sticky "Read Before you Post" thread.

3. darktortise

darktortise Registered Member

Did as you suggested but still a nogo. Will keep working it.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello darktortise,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information (if possible) and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Registered Member

I'm not sure I fully understand your post, but try this...

Right click on My Computer
    Select Manage
    Select Disk Management

See if the drive (partition) appears in the bar graphs at the bottom of the screen.

I'm no expert, but it might be possible that the Dell recovery program wrote over your image file with the Dell image file.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you boot from the True Image Recovery CD?

Have you ever done that before and confirmed that your internal hard drive can be seen in the Linux environment? Some SATA drives are not supported by the version 10 Recovery CD.

You could download the Trial True Image 11, install it and make a Recovery CD. Check if that can see both your internal and USB drives. It will restore a TI 10 backup image.

7. regdor

regdor Registered Member

I have the same problem.
    Use TI10 on Xp for over a year,great no problem.
    Buy new DELL Vostro. Move TI10 from old pc to new pc, retire old pc.
    After 2 weeks fed up of racket from hard drive(seagate 320), Dell offer to swap for new one.
    With TI no problem, backup to usb drive!! Put in new drive, old one gone back with courier.
    Load original TI10 cd, sees USB backup no problem, hard drive ?? er no you do not have one. Heart sinks.
    Use Dell dvd to load Vista to hard drive and load drivers but TI will not see the SATA drive. Try loading TI onto Vista and doing overwrite, looks good but
    after reboot into Acronis Vista stomps all over the reboot and reboots again so that does not work either.
    So have now rebuilt pc but would like to continue using TI10 for backups.
    I am not a pc techie so not too happy about much hacking around at low level stuff.

8. regdor

regdor Registered Member

After reading some more i downloaded TI10 update 4942.
    Updated TI10 and created bootable cd. Restart Pc.

From Vista ran new TI10, full image backup, system locks up after about 30% of backup.
    Yes really locks up, only way out is to power off pc. Not good so i try to restart and run TI10 again. Works OK! Go to bed!

New day, Boot pc into TI from CD.
    Sees hard drive OK!!! Sorry Darktortoise that does not help you i know, you say you are using 4942.

I do NOT of course want to risk an image RESTORE of my perfectly good pc so have just tried restoring the odd file or two. That works.
    I did try restoring the original Dell restore partition when i was in the Cd boot mode and again when TI reboots after about 2 secs Vista stomps it again.
    I will see if i can understand the sticky about MBR etc. I would like to be 100% certain i can restore my pc if the worst happens!

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Good insteincts. You don't want to test the ability to restore on your system disk; you want to do it on a spare disk used in place of the system disk. Otherwise, if the restore doesn't work, you will indeed loose what's on the system disk and yet not have the restored image either -- the worst of both worlds, so to speak.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Darn, we seem to have lost Darktortise.

If you are out there and see this thread, let us know what is happening.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello regdor,

Many thanks for using Acronis Backup Software.

Could you please clarify if you tried acpi workaround as described in Acronis Help Post? If it does not work for you please collect Acronis Report, Windows system information (if possible) and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as described here. Then please submit a request to Acronis Customer Support Department.

Could you also clarify how Vista fails to boot? Does it start rebooting again and again? At what exact stage this happens?

Thank you.
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.