Drive Snapshot

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RSpanky, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

How can I use BartPE to build a recovery disc using Drive Snapshot

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

3. RSpanky

I have the paid version, but i can't find the plugin folder in Snapshot folder?

4. prius04

I believe you just need to find your "pebuilder3110a" directory. You should see a folder called "plugin" in that directory and a folder called "snapshot" in the plugin folder.

There's a file called snaphot.exe in the snapshot folder but it's a trial version. Purportedly, you simply replace that file with your licensed version.

5. RSpanky

I am very new at this, so where can i find the pebuilder3110a directory

6. prius04

Well, it's probably in your "C" drive (C:\) *if* you installed the software. If you haven't done so, then you need to download and install first.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#start

After that, you should see the following:

C:\pebuilder3110a

That directory has several sub-directories, one of which is called "plugin". Expand that and you'll see "snapshot" (into which you would copy the licensed version of snapshot.exe).

7. RSpanky

Downloaded got licensed version of snapshot.exe in plug in folder. I know you think that I am stupid but now how do you burn the recovery CD. It does'nt seem to be working right I'm running Vista home Premium SP1

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

After If you already has directories within your PE directory that tells me that you have already used the builder, inserting your Windows CD, asserting any custom directories, etc., and that initial building process has already completed. Is that the case? If it is then you have also already created a bootable .iso file. You might have built the iso file of you might not have, depending on what settings you specified in the builder. Is any of this sounding familiar? If not lets start from the beginning.

1. Download the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (here)
    2. Locate that file and execute it.
    3. Extract the contents on that .exe file to your hard disk
    4. There will be a file called UBCD4WinBuilder.exe within that folder, execute it.
    5. You will see a screen that looks this
    1.png

6. Insert your Windows disc, the location of which is your "source."
    7. Add any custom directories you with. (If you want a directory called "stuff" to be in %drive%\Stuff then all the contents of that folder need to be in "Stuff" \ "Stuff" are your hard disk.
    8. Label the disc
    9. Set output as an iso, being sure to remember the output location
    10. Then click "Build."
    11. Then use your burning software to build a disc from the iso. DO NOT simply drag the file into a data disc session. That will not work. If you are unsure what to do here, I recommend you use IMGBurn

Don't worry about plugins right now, just get the basic bootable media working. After the initial creation process you can alter the output directory with any files and/or folders you want. At this point I would add Drive Snapshot and any images you want to the disc, keeping within the limitation of your burner's capacity. After altering any directories or adding any files use the autobuild.bat file in the root extraction directory to create the bootable iso, which will be in the same place you set it up to be.

After that you're good to go.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nice tutorial indeed.

DriveSnapshot is the Living End for me. Never once failed, foiled, or let me down with some crazy error or issue. A very well made imager/restorer without all the fluff and gobs of supporting files that just make problems for users.

EASTER

10. n8chavez

Agreed. There are many reasons why I chose DS over the others out there, primarily the small file size, portability, command line support, image creation speed, and image compression.. For those that have not tried it I highly suggest you do.

11. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Ditto your DS sentiments - small, fast and totelly reliable... Someday, Tom will wise-up and include a Linux/WinPE Recovery CD and then DS will really rule! :cool:

12. RSpanky

I'm not sure if I got my recovery CD imaged or not? When I used BartPE builder everything seemed to go OK. Now when I open up my snapshot folder I have the help file in there is this right? I am really not sure how to test the recovery CD. I think maybe I did something wrong, because of help file in my snapshot folder and thats the only file there is. Do you think that need to uninstall and reinstall Drive Snapshot. If someone could please tell how to test my recovery CD I would really be gratful, because if i done it wrong. I'm going to try n8chavez' s method Thanks for all the posts RSpanky

13. n8chavez

The easiest way to test the recovery disc is to boot with, making sure you have altered your bios to allow for it to boot from the cd drive first.

14. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Nobody like that hangs around here very long, lots of good folks to help no matter what your knowledge level.:thumb:

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed!

Therein lies the remaining missing link in this POWERHOUSE of such a small but extremely faultless imaging app, and i don't mention that without any hesitation whatsoever.

So TOM, please offer us recovery CD. LoL

This app is saved my toast when nothing else could or would and the crazy part is with such ease like no problem at all. Instant return to normal again! Fully intact!

EASTER

16. RSpanky

Sorry I have'nt been able to reply, But how do alter your BIOS I am a noob when comes this. I am going to like this app when I figure it out. I have Paragon Drive Baqckup on my desktop and I wish I would have gone with Drive Snapshot on it as well Thanks RSpanky

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  17. RSpanky

First of all I'm sorry to imply that I am stupid, I'm 56 years old so I am far from being stupid. I just did'nt type what I was trying to say. I have gotten a lot of help here at Wilders Forum. I'm just kind of new when it comes to computers just trying to learn, Thanks

18. crofttk

When you first turn on your computer, depending on what brand it is, there is usually a particular key you should hit (example, on my Dells, it is F2) BEFORE the Windows logo comes up that gets you into "SETUP" or BIOS.

Then in those screens, there should be one that has to do with boot order or boot device order. It is there, again depending on brand and age of computer, where you may have to change the options to make sure your computer looks at the CD/DVD drive to see if there's a disc to boot from.

Your machine MAY already be set up for this BUT you may have to watch closely for a message that says "press any key to boot from CD...", and quickly press any key, because that message may only show for 1 or 2 seconds.

19. RSpanky

OK Thank You I have a Toshiba Laptop I will restart and see if I can see it Thanks

20. RSpanky

Thanks crofttk I am able to boot from me recovery cd Thank You so much. And I also thank n8chavez that got it started thanks everyone. I know I will have more questions so all the help will be gratful. Thanks RSpanky

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  21. crofttk

Great! Glad it worked out.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.