Drive Snapshot Floppy

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Breaksmash, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breaksmash

Breaksmash Registered Member

I'm using Drive Snapshot
    I'm using Vista 64
    I do not have an internal floppy drive

Can I make a recovery floppy then copy and paste the contents onto a CD/DVD and then use the CD/DVD as the recovery?

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

It can be done, but not by copy & paste. However, I would suggest abandoning the idea of a DOS recoverr and go for the much easier WinPE recovery method, such as with the free UBCD4Win. :thumb:

3. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

Jo Ann,

New to UBCD, but have built BartPE CD's before. How would I add Drive Snapshot to UBCD4WinV322?

Thanks!

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's easy enough. Just copy the Drive Snapshot executable file and your images to the DVD. Then use the PE Builder to create the disc.

5. jimshu1

Thanks for the reply! DVD? Does UBCD support DVD?

I am pretty familiar with burning boot disks. Burning a boot image and then having the rest of the space to add other programs. How do I do this with UBCD4WinV322.exe and the Snapshot.exe?

Thanks again!

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Don't get confused. I was referring to Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, which uses a PE builder and is not the DOS based boot cd. This is very easy to use, just extract, put your windows disc in the drive, and using the PE builder, follow the on screen prompts. Be sure and include a custom directory that includes DS and your images.

7. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I think there is even a plugin for PE Builder that handles drive snapshot, so you even have a menu entry for launching it.

8. jimshu1

Thanks folks. I'll play with this.

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

In addition to the info provided by n8chavez and MerleOne, be aware that snapshot.exe is portable and can be run from just about anywhere (so there's no real need to place it on your Boot CD)! ;)

I keep a copy of snaphot.exe on my external (backup) drive, and after booting up into WinPE I simply use its exporer to navigate to and run DS. Works great.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  10. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Jo Ann,

That's an excellent point about DS' portability - a valuable asset not fully appreciated by a good many users!

Aaron

11. jimshu1

Thanks Jo Ann!

Yep, I already discovered this great feature. I'm now in the process of learning UBCD. Thought I had it with a virgin WnXP Pro SP3 file set to work with, but when I added the Snapshot folder to the "custom folders" and updated AVG Anti-Virus, I ended up with a 735Mb .iso file which won't burn to anything.

I have a ways to go. Guess I don't update AVG!

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.