Drive Imagers

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Detox, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Any suggestions on drive imagers? Biggest Question for me being a poor student right now is.. are there any free ones :D

I understand Norton Ghost is a good one, and I have forgotten what someone once suggested to me (think it was Javacool) but it was not Ghost...

Anything will help, also a little more understanding links/etc that explain just how these things work.. Love it if the image can go on a cd but I doubt it at this point since I have 14 gigs out of my 240 filled up already?

2. controler

controler Guest

Drive Image works good besides the NORTON word ghost ;)
    I am perty sure Drive Image was around before Nortons Ghost

I am wondering if Ontrac Data doesn't have one too?

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I am using Norton Ghost! There is nothing wrong with it! It works flawlessly...

U could try Power Quest Drive Image...

Technodrome

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Budget Conscious Students Need Freeware!

I may have found what you are looking for (I'm adept at finding things):

http://www.freshdevices.com/

That should do it! Look for "Fresh Diagnose." :)

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm I think that fresh diagnose is only to see how your system rates against others, not to image the drive...

6. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Right you are !
    I use Drive Image myself and love it, but it's not free !

7. controler

controler Guest

Iused to think Imaging was cool and something I needed to do for being lazy. Now I reformat all the time..

8. Prince_Serendip

Hi guys! About Fresh Diagnose, Have you tried it? It does do the job. Perhaps it has "comparisons?" Who cares? I ignore all that stuff, but I get what I want! You wanted FREEWARE? There is a price, even when it's free! Now, quit complaining! ;)

9. MickeyTheMan

I do have fresh diagnoze installed, but it's not capable of imaging a drive

10. MickeyTheMan

Reformating involves reinstaling everything you reformat, which is time consuming.
    The advantage of imaging your drive is that in case of any problems, you can quickly get back to exactly the state you were at when you made the image

11. Prince_Serendip

Hi Mickey the Man! My apologies then. I guess I don't know what Drive Imaging really is? So Fresh Diagnose does some Drive Analysis? But NOT Imaging. Okay. I'm learning. Thanks! :)

12. MickeyTheMan

Drive imaging is like taking a snaphot of everything on your drive and storing the info elsewhere.
    Say your drive refused to boot one day, kaput, god forbid !
    Then you would simply reinstall another one, and if you had an image stored on another drive, then you would simply take the content and copy it back right on it, as if nothing had ever happened.
    And we are not talking about just file copying here. MBR and all
    I run a dual mode system with win98SE on one drive and win2k on another. If a drive ever quites on me, then i have images of these sys on a diff drive. Half an hour is all it would take to get back to where i was before problem ever showed up.
    I make a new image monthly with a normal backup program updated every day ( hmmm...hmmm.. perhaps a little white lie here) for daily changes

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup that's what I need, what Mickey just said ;-) Looks like I'll hafta pay for it, next time I'm at a software store I'll take a peek around and hope it's not too much. It's got to be more economical than backing up EVERYTHING on CDs... especially once I get some more gigs full on these hard drives... Imagine backing up 150 or so gigs on CDs? FFS! Of course that's far in the future but I'm trying to think ahead.

14. Prince_Serendip

Thank you. To quote Duke Nukem: "Wow! I gotta get me one of those!" Is this outfit any good?

http://www.acronis.com/

They have an imaging proggie called, "True Image Deluxe" for 44.99 USD. They have outlets all over the US (near Detox) and Canada or you can get it online. Let me know what you think. They have a (partially functional) trial download. :)

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

16. MickeyTheMan

I'm a diehard user of Drive Image, although i have taken a look at the info presented on true image deluxe and wish i knew someone using it as it does appear to to the same thing as Drive image and you could save yourself $25 in the process

17. snowy

snowy Guest

DETOX...and others...

althought I don't know much if anything about the two programs about to list.........they are freeware....which is what you requested........an may be worth a quick glance just to see........they may also be only for win95\98

let me stresssssssssss....I am totally un-awear of how well these programs work....so use caution. sorry I don't have the url's...you will need to do a search. READ FAQ

1) Mr Mirror

2) Boch's Disk Image

snowman

18. snowy

snowy Guest

mr mirror at

http://www.webattack.com/get/mrmirror.shtml

this may not be in the same league as the better names mentioned...obviusly......but could perhaps meet some needs

snowman

19. snowy

snowy Guest

the only link I could locate for Boch's disk image appears to be very old....so would advise to pass on this program.....most likely would not be os compatible.

snowman

20. snowy

snowy Guest

final suggestion: before using or considering Mr Mirror it would be suggested that the opinion of Mickey..TECHNO..and Controler be requested.....on the program (what they can judge from the FAQ)

snowman

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm good idea! I do run a slightly upgraded Win98.. upgraded to allow my puter to use all my RAM... But 90SE all the same. I'll take a look at that site but I would like it if one of those guys looked too cause they might see a detail I don't and say.. "Bah anyone who says this is fulla crap" hehehe... And if it doesn't look good, I bite the bullet and buy something, because if I don't, Murphy's law is liable to whoop my cute behind.

22. MickeyTheMan

Mr Mirror 1.3 was free, but Mr Mirror 2.1 is $19.95
    Not intended to be an image program, but reallly a backup program as such.
    This is covered in the Faq page:
    http://www.warpgear.com/index.cgi?main=mrmirror.html

Q.Can I use Mr.Mirror to copy my entire system from one hard disk to another?

A.Although I have had reports from people who successfully did this using Mr.Mirror it must be said that the program was not intended for such usage.

Take a look at one of these programs:

DiskClone 1.0 from Symantec
    DiskClone 1.0 from Quarterdeck Corporation
    Drive Image 2.0 from Powerquest Corporation

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Roger that Mr Mickey, I'll be taking that list along with me when I go check out some software ;-) thanks!

24. MickeyTheMan

These programs mentioned are part of answer and not my recommendations.
    Besides Drive image 2.0 ? I don't think so. You can tell it's an old FAQ page.

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Mickey,
    Yes, DriveImage has now a much later version.
    And I guess DriveClone is now Ghost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.