DRIVE COPY?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by nixie21, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Right now I use Norton Ghost 9.0 to make an exact copy of one drive to another. I do not like norton, I liked 8.0 better but do not have an old copy. What is an easy program to use that will make an exact copy of a drive. Basically if drive c:\ fails I want to swap drives and continue working like nothing happened. Do not need any extras, just a straight drive copy. But I dont want it to be an image file because if I delete a picture I want to be able to just grab it back from the other drive!?

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Most new imaging programs do indeed allow you to recover specific files from the image.

3. nixie21

Do you know which?

Thanks

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

well Dantz - Retrospect Express v5.6 for one...

I bought a Maxtor firewire/USB 2.0 external drive a long while back, and it came with Retrospect Express as free software. I fully expected it to be useless, but in fact it works very well. I know for a fact that you can restore individual files because I have done it. I do not use a recycle bin, when i delete something it is gone...except it is still in the backup.

Here is an interesting and weird fact about most backup imaging software. If you run your backup every day with this type of program it will only write the changes to your backup image. that makes backing up extemely fast, only some weirdness creeps in. if you add files they are added to the backup, but if you delete them, most types will not be deleted in the back up. You would think that would cause a lot of problems but it doesn't. I don't know how they work it...perhaps the catalog of the image tells them not to reinstall something that you have deleted. Anyway, the good news is that even if you delete a file, and run a new backup, chances are, the file is still accessible in the backup image. Kind of handy!

- HandsOff

P.S. I was dissappointed to see Maxtor does not seem to include any useful software in there new drives!

5. nixie21

I got a trial of Retrospect 6.5, looks good, going to install it tonight and see how it is. Any tips?

Thanks for the replys

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To name a few you can recover files from:

Acronis True Image 8.0
    R-Tools Drive Image 2.0
    Ghost 2003

The first two allow incremental backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.