Drive copy/backup/image with 2nd OS (ASUS G50 with Express Gate)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JeremyB, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyB

JeremyB Registered Member

Hi - I am a fairly novice user when it comes to backup/recovery/imaging solutions.

I am looking for a solution to create an exact duplicate, bootable drive for a ASUS laptop I recently purchased. After having the laptop for less than 2 weeks, Vista 64 was corrupted. I sent the unit back to ASUS - they said it was a software problem, not hadware.

Here is my problem - the recovery disks provided by ASUS to not recover the drive back to the state it was in when shipped - it puts a generic image on the drive.

The drive itself has the ASUS hidden partition and Express Gate (acts like a second OS). The OS for Express Gate appears to be on the motherboard, but it requires its partition on the HD to run. The recovery disks provided by ASUS will not restore Express Gate on a blank drive.

I need to create a recovery solution that will allow me to put a blank drive into the laptop and recover the system from DVD.

Can I do this with TI?

I have read most of the TI manual and it is not clear to me if I can create recovery disks that will put the unit back into the state it is in right now (fresh out of the box) all partitions (Vista, Vista recovery, Express Gate, etc), software, etc.

I am not sure how the drive is partitioned and were all of the "hidden" data is that ASUS says they recovered the drive with. They do NOT provide a Vista 64 disk that will boot to the Recovery Console unfortunately. I need to get all portions of the drive onto a new HD - not just the Vista 64 parts.

I think I have explained the problem to the best of my understanding - any input on how I can ensure I can recreate the system on a blank drive would be appreciated.

My best guess right now is Vista was corrupted by either my printer software or a drive update. I have done nothing to update the computer - I am not installing anything until I determine the root cause of the corruption the first time.

Thanks in advance.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, True Image will do that. But since it is so picky when it comes to hardware you should give it the acid test - do and actual restore to another hard drive. So this means buying another laptop drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JeremyB,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Using Acronis True Image Home 2009 you can create full drive backup and save it on external drive. Then in case your system crashes you can boot computer with Acronis bootable disc and restore it to the previous state, to the time of backup creation. I would recommend looking through video tutorials to understand some basic principles how the software works. Use this link.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.