Drive Copy 11 Pro - Laptop HDD to SSD Migration Fails

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by ibb, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibb

ibb Registered Member

Hello Everyone

I have a new Thinkpad X201s with a 500GB hard disk. The disk is about 10% full. It has two partitions - a small 100MB recovery and the rest is the system partition. I want to migrate to a 160 GB Intel X25M SSD. Purchased Drive Copy Pro 11 and followed the "Migrating System to new HDD through container (Laptop) Scenario.

Making the container and storing it on a network drive (Buffalo NAS) went without problems. Started with the recovery CD but could not connect to the network drive to get the container. I did not see any network shares even after setting the correct workgroup using the advanced interface.

Second try: made the container and stored it on a USB external drive. With the recovery CD, I found the container and again using the "Scenario interface" wrote the container to the SSD. Everything ended without errors, but very quickly (I repeated the procedure a second time and it looks from the log that only the small partitions is extracted).

After reboot, the Windows boot manages stops and shows error 0xC0000225 "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

I will be very thankfull for any help and advice as the procedure took nearly one day contrary to my expectations.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1) To connect Network Drive to Recovery CD you should use Network Configurator first: provide Network settings are credentials, map network drive to make it available.

2) About restore issue:
    Please try to run Restore wizard once again and restore partitions one-by-one:
    1) Select archive
    2) In the next step expand 'Basic Hard Disk' to see your partitions
    3) Select second partition with your Windows system
    4) Follow the restore steps as usually
    Please note: your small System Reserved partition should be already restored to the target drive.

Once completed, eject the CD, restart your PC and check if it boots correctly.

3. ibb

ibb Registered Member

Thank you!

I could not get the network drive despite entering correct workgroup. Possibly has to do with the laptop network driver not being present on the Recovery CD.

What I did was to copy the container to an external USB hard disk and then read it from there. Your advice to restore each partition separately was what solved the problem.

I must comment that the interface, the methods of marking objects and the manuals are very inconsistent and need serious improvement.

Thank you for your help, despite the many hours spent, I have a migrated disk now.

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Glad to know it worked :)

Why do you think that Paragon wizards are not user-friendly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.