Drive clone: check image:

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tronic592001, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

Hi Ive been useing acronis true image build 800.

Ive sucsesfully cloned sata(C) 160 gigs to pata(backup) 40 gigs. and booted from my backup pata 40 gigs,after going into bios and disableing Sata.

question is how do i check my clone, after ive cloned my two drive. i need to check my pata 40 gig clone but only option i can see is (CHECK IMAGE) but thats no good with a clone.

also i disable my clone pata 40 gig in bios after ive cloned, then i go into my computer/propertys/hardware and disable it there. So when i disable it in bios and hardware does the drive stop spinning and power off??

ore if it dont stop spinning then i dont see no reson for it to be disabled!!

:doubt:
    bump

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tronic592001,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The only way to check whether your cloned drive is bootable is to boot this drive with the source drive being unplugged. The most reliable way would be to unplug the source drive physically (unplug power and data cables).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The test is that you can boot off it and run your applications. The usual disk error checking utilities can confirm that the disk is healthy.

As far as I know, all connected drives will be spinning, so I agree that there's no reason to disable it other than to make it invisible to a virus that might attack your boot drive.

4. tronic592001

jmk94903

So is it best to disable it in bios and windows, or just bios!!

if i disable it in bios and windows it still shows in device manager as disabled.

If i only disable it in bios it will show enabled in windows, what im saying is. is there any point in disableing in in both windows and bios..
    :rolleyes:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tronic592001,

The best way to check the new drive after cloning is to unplug the source drive. Even if you disable the drive in BIOS Windows is likely to see it anyway. The drive is spinning always if the power cable is plugged to it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Depends on the drive, its firmware and how you have configured it. Many drives are able to power-down when not in use. This is particular important on laptops. Check your drive manufacturers site for stuff like "Acustic Management", "Feature Setting", "Power Management", etc. And your operating system probably also has some settings for APM and ACPI that can influence on what happens.

7. tronic592001

Acronis Support

I dont see no point in disabaling the source drive by unpluging it, I just go into bios and disable source and enable clone. yes it must be spinning because when i check it with speedfan the temp is the same on both drives 35c aprox.

Windows will see it after you disable it but i also disable it in windows. but point taken it does spine not sure if there is a program that can stop this, anyway power consumtion got to be small, besides that if i can get it not to spin then drive life will be greatly increased.

A clone off sata to pata done with the acronis true image 800 build still needs to have the cloned drive active in windows and bios, tryed it without it being active in windows, true image sees the two drives but you get a error..

MiniMax

Yes minimax but i think the only progarm ive seen that do this are for the active drive only ie C:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.