Drive-by testing

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by moontan, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i am just wondering if there is a site where we could test drive-by attacks and the like.

i am not looking for real malwares, just a simulation.

if it does not exist maybe it would be nice for someone to build one. :)

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Interesting idea.

Though I don't know a testing site, can't build one, but would like to test :thumb:

So someone need to post a link...if it exists that is :)

3. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

There are several ones, but they are outdated (http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/ for example). You could always try to contact them to give their tests a much needed update ;)

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You don't specify what type of testing.

If you are thinking of drive-by tests where your security alerts to downloading/running of executables, which is the payload of most of today's exploits, it's a daunting task for several reasons.

1) What type of products are you testing? If black listing products, then unless it is real malware, the product isn't going to alert to something benign.

2) What types of exploits? If PDF, not all PDFs with exploit code are triggered by all versions of the Reader. I've looked at dozens of PDFs over the years and have found only two that trigger. Same thing with Flash.

Now, if you have White Listing security, that's pretty easy to test. I've set up my own drive-by tests in the past and have posted them here before, but they require IE6 which most people no longer have. However, if anyone wants to test, I'll post one.

Beginning with IE8 I cannot make any drive-by exploit work except those using Java! And none of the current malware exploits work against Opera or Firefox.

However, you can test by just attempting to download a non-white listed executable.
    It's similar to a drive-by exploit: an executable tries to write to disk. In this case, you trigger it yourself, and your security should not allow it. The security doesn't care how the executable tries to get in -- it just prevents it in any case. Here, I use winpad32.exe to test:

wind32pad.gif

Also, USB is a good test, since it is a remote code execution exploit, as is a drive-by.
    Just set up an autorun.inf file with these two lines with the filename of the executable you use:

autorun.gif

put it on a USB drive with a non-whitelisted executable and enable autorun for the test:

kwjk.gif

Also, a CD installation disk usually has an autorun.inf to automatically run a setup.exe.
    Being non-white listed, your protection should alert:

autorun_inf-setup.gif

autorun_exe.gif

A drive-by exploit is just one type of remote code execution attack which can be simulated in other ways.

regards,

-rich

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. moontan

i am looking for something that would execute automatically without the user input.

basically, just to check if Chrome by itself (maybe with LUA + UAC + SRP) would allow writing to the drive.

i am just curious.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is there a driveby exploit in the wild that targets Chrome (or Opera or Firefox?) Looking in the exploit kits, the drive-by exploits use plugins (PDF, Flash) that use the browser as an entry point.

If an exploit uses an enabled plugin and you have LUA + SRP, then you are protected against drive-by exploits that download malware executables because

1) In a LUA, executables can write only to %User% directories. Here, I attempt to copy a program to %Windows%:

srp-copy.gif

2) With SRP, nothing can execute except from %Program Files% and %Windows%.
    Here, I attempt to execute a program, a .bat file, and a .vbs file from a %User% directory.
    I chose this directory because recently I saw an drive-by infection (IE8 ) that wrote files to this directory and executed them.
    With SRP, that could not have happened:

srp-exe-exe.gif

srp-exe-bat.gif

srp-exe-vbs.gif

So, while you might not find a drive-by exploit to test, you can simulate the results and see how you are protected with LUA and SRP.

regards,

-rich

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  7. moontan

tnx a lot Rmus for taking the time!
    that is very useful info. :)

i am at the office right now but i will play with this when i get home!

8. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance but what's SRP ? How to use it ?
    I'm using Emet on 7 64 bits, with UAC on.

Thanks.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

10. moontan

SRP is a whitelist, anti-executable 'app'.
    it denies any executable from launching if it's not on the 'whitelist'.

For Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions SRP can be launched from the Local Group Policy Editor. (run gpedit.msc)
    -http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3652-local-group-policy-editor-open.html-

for Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium editions you have to use SRP via Parental Control:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=297834

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  11. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Thanks for the answer, i'm going to read that.
    Is it a problem if i'm using an admin account with uac max ? Because i need to create a LUA and i don't want.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  12. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

You can use SRP with your admin account yes. Be sure to exclude the administrator account (under "enforcement" click "all users except local administrator").

13. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Ok, i'm going to try it. Thanks.

14. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Here's a selection of www's that "might" be useful ;)

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You don't need to create LUA, because you have UAC. The programs that run with limited rights under UAC are blocked by SRP if they aren't excluded.

16. EboO

EboO Registered Member

I've seen that, thanks for the precisions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.