Dramatic increase in number of files scanned

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by torlin, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torlin

torlin Registered Member

I have my NOD32 (on a server with Windows SBS 2003) configured to automatically scan all local drives every night. Every morning I look at the NOD32 Scanner Logs page to see the result. I have noticed that the number of files being scanned (approx. 150000) slowly increases (by 50-100 per day) for a few weeks and then the number drops (by a few hundred). I guess this is due to the way Windows handles temporary files.

But last week something odd happened. The number of files being scanned increased by some 47500 !!! And the number has stayed high since.

I am absolutely sure that I did not install anything on that day. I have not been able to find these new files in Windows Explorer. RootkitRevealer from Sysinternals.com can't find anything either.

Should I suspect that someone has hijacked my computer and installed God-knows-what?
    Or has there been some sudden change in the behaviour of NOD32 (e.g. scanning a larger number of file types)?

2. MichelB

MichelB Guest

Could be a new packer or archive is now unpacked for scanning, I too am interested to know what this is :D

3. torlin

torlin Registered Member

I had not changed anything in the NOD32 settings, nor is there any new files, folders or packers visible in Windows Explorer that could account for the increase. The whole thing remains a mystery...

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Maybe someone`s using your server to store their stuff?

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

No mapped network drives or anything? o_O

6. torlin

torlin Registered Member

Yes, that's what I fear (but we will probably never know since this particular server has suffered a disk crash since...)

7. torlin

torlin Registered Member

No, nothing of that sort...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.