Dr Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

While Dr Web provides superb protection, I only know this from experience. They don't participate in any third party testing anymore. Being regionalised in one part of the world and no formal third party testing, even if its just for marketing, there is no reason a person in my part of the planet could justify spending that much money on an antivirus product.

2. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Yes it is. They are tired to proving to all testers and users that are neither camels (Russian proverb :) )

3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Interesting proverb. I might have to use that some time. While I agree that testing can be a marketing tactic, it is also a means of other people hearing of your product around the world. I know theres always th headache of trying to explain why a user is really protected even if the test score wasn't the best. All tested vendors deal with that. However, by not participating in tests, by not offering significant price deals or promotions; Dr. Web is saying it really doesn't want to be competitive with other companies and is content having only a part of the russian market.

To be honest, I think Dr Web can perform/protect well enough to be competive against even some of the "big players."

4. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Doctor Web is a small company. It has two offices: in Moscow and in St. Petersburg. It employs more than 200 people dumb. I myself became a user of Dr.Web many years ago solely because of it's an honest and principled policy.

They do not aspire to take over, do not worry constantly and them people non-existent threats. Igor Danilov vs Eugene Kaspersky: "They always save the world, and we only vacuum trucks. Honestly just doing our job."

Some pic. of the office in St. Petersburg (Engineering design and analysis of virus) https://blogs.drweb.com/image/tid/7

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

200 dumb people you mean? o_O

6. SergM

SergM Registered Member

No, sorry. This is my bad English. :oops: I mean, that is a bit more than 200 employees.

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

You and Dr Web have my respect. :)

8. SergM

SergM Registered Member

1000db Thank you very much :)

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I only use the dr web link checker within facebook etc even though it is probably a complete waste of time in doing so.:ouch:

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thank you for posting some pictures of the analysts at work. What a refreshing change to see real people and not anonymous avatars!

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

FWIW, According to their Linkedin page they got 200-500 employees :thumb:

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Indeed, always fun to see some pics from inside the vendors HQs :cool:

13. spywar

spywar Registered Member

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I visit that site every now and then, it's quite cool :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

even tried to sign up as a reseller and they keep directing me to a page that does not allow me to fill anything out lol. its the same page i found on their website which says to contact them for more info, i click the join button and it takes me to a page to select what business i am i select it then the next page has nothing to fill out. i have told them this a few times now and they continue to send me to the same link lol. looks like ill have to pass i have got no where with them yet.

16. Bodhitree

LOL yeah, good luck with that.. I ran Dr. Web a bit sometime about 10 years ago, and had severe difficulties even buying it back then, much less any support. There was a really neat AV back then as well named Mks_Vir that isn't supported any longer, same difficulties with them, they ended up giving me a bunch of licenses because we couldn't communicate properly.

Another tiny AV company I did some work for was VirusBlokAda, really talented guys there, but too small to get anything major done. I love their little AV, but it hasn't changed in 12 years, and with just a few dedicated people working there I don't see it happening.

I tend to stick to the bigger firms these days.

17. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

I've used Dr web since 2004 and had only one virus.Would not use any other av.And it just gets better.:thumb:
    Badcompany.

18. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Those guys have a great rootkit program. They are not working on the AV program, because they are working on their rootkit program.

19. fredra

fredra Registered Member

++++1

20. Bodhitree

I'd love to see a free version of Dr. Web, then a process into a paid, pro version.

21. SergM

SergM Registered Member

CureIt!, DrWeb LiveCD (USB), Dr.Web online scanners (http://vms.drweb.com/online/?lng=en).

22. guest

guest Guest

Interesting software. - I just tried the free CureIt version out of curiosity and it found nothing on my PC, which is a very good thing -> no false positives! ;) - Worst stuff is to me those that scares you with so called findings into buying a license that are nothing but cookies or fp's. :rolleyes:

HitmanPro didn't find anything too .. so those two I will run soon on a netbook of a friend that was for a few months online in Ukraine and probably has brought back some "gifts" which Avira didn't discover. ;) - Before the trip MBAR found already something on that netbook and I really have to take a close look now what's going on there. ;)

I like how they give you a free tool to disinfect your PC! If it does it's job it will maybe get a chance to be the replacement of the mentioned AV solution. ;)

Thanks for bringing Dr. Web back to my attention. ;)

23. Bodhitree

24. SergM

SergM Registered Member

All these products are the actual on-access free versions.
    Real-time protection is worth the money. Oops.

25. Bodhitree

Bleh, I mean realtime.. Who cares about ondemand scanners, I'd like them to have a free realtime version, so they could expand awareness of their product. It's done wonders for Avira, Avast, AVG..

And no, real time protection is not worth $385.00 for my PC's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.