Dr.Web VISTA READY!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Thanks. But this is the site that is not working for me. I even gave all my infor to a trusted friend to see if he could fill out the form, but he had no luck either. I contacted support and they told me to use this site. I had no problems with it. My dad's licence is being renewed. This is one case where my fickleness pays off. :)

Also, just to add to the beta key comment, make sure you delete the beta key in your Dr Web directory and then replace it with your own.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That's possible, at least in part (especially with the other 3rd party applications now absent). The time correlation is not completely there, but I don't discount this as the primary cause.

If it continues on the current setup, I'll redownload the beta and attempt a full install once again.

I just wanted to take a moment and emphasize that in running a beta version, one must be ready for any eventuality including a complete restore/reinstall of your system. That applies to any beta offering...

Blue

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course, people should always be 'cautious' with betas, thats why they are named so.

4. BlueZannetti

I just thought that I'd emphasize it since it seems every beta screening session is littered with the remains of those less cautious....

That said, BSOD's continued, redownloaded program, noted that the exe files were identical, reinstalled the freshly downloaded version, which BSOD'd within about 30 minutes.

Since I have seen the same issue on two different PC's, I'll step back and wait for this beta version to achieve a tad more maturity.

Blue

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hmm a bsod after just 30 minutes, im still yet to have one after many days installed.

it must be conflicting with something if you fully updated it and its still doing it.

6. BlueZannetti

I seem to have resolved the problem. My best guess is that it looks to be due to a subtle corruption at the OS level.

Briefly, I was experiencing no issues with any other active applications. However, on launch of True Image to clone my primary disk (just a random backup measure during a slow period), it was apparent that something was amiss. I had run TI from this partition before, so I knew precisely what to expect. Basically, it locked in mid-clone. This was from a latter build of TI9. Updating to the latest TI9 build did not resolve the problem, nor did stepping back to the last build of TI8, which had worked flawlessly on this partition previously.

At this point, I decided to refresh the OS with a reinstall. I completed that Saturday morning, followed by an install of most of the applications previously active. The exceptions were:
    • A few numeric/math toolboxes (Maxima, Matlab, etc.). These shouldn't matter
    • I actually had 3 versions of MS Office on that partition (Office97, XP Office Small Business 2000, and XP Office Pro 2003). On reinstall, XP Office Pro 2003 was the only version installed. The other two had been installed for legacy reasons. I use Outlook for mail, not sure if this was an issue, but I had noted severe problems associated with the mail client and SpiderMail.
    • I had been using PRTG Traffic Grapher to monitor bandwidth usage via a router based agent for a time. I skipped installing that for the moment. This application polled the router once a minute as I recall, not sure if that was an issue.
    Aside from those specific changes and not installing some long disabled applications, the machine is as it was.

The beta DrWeb has been active since Saturday without problem. I'm not going to try to dig deeper as to cause, suffice it to say the problems appear to be from my end, not with the beta. In any event, I thought that I'd close the loop here. The current DrWeb beta looks fine and runs fine.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.