Dr Web-Version-5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Badcompany, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Is there any news yet on the release date of Dr Web version 5.
    Badcompany.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Not that I am aware of.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

They are giving the release of this new version top priority and this is why they only managed a Standard level again over at av-comparatives :p ;) :rolleyes:

4. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Blackcat,
    I have no interest in av-comparatives or any company testing AV Programs.They all come up with different results, Has far as I am concerned Dr-Web is an excellent Av Program. Nobody should buy a AV program just because it scored well with av-comparatives.
    BC.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think dr.web are being very secretive about V5, but if they ever change the GUI and style of the program to viruschaser, i will be ditching it, thats for SURE, damn i hated VC.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i didnt like VC either
    dr web is good thou and you shouldn't determine an AV by av-comparatives use it as a guide only.
    infact after the reintall of windows ME the other day i installed drweb and found it very good. they should make the interface more modern but in there own style.

lodore

7. n8chavez

I personally like VirusChaser. There are some aspects to the interface that are annoying. It seems like the current trend seems to be more are more hard drive space rewuired for install, so it's nice to see that a complete AV can run while only taking up 8 meg total. I would like to see a modern fusion of the two interfaces.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

v5 is just too far down the line,

they should hurry up and get this vista version running, paid licence that i wont have been able to use for a month, tut tut.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Two interfaces of what? o_O

Personally, I like VC to the extent that if they enable the heuristic analysis, I will ditch Dr.Web and use VC, even if Dr.Web releases version 5.0 with a good-looking UI. :D

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i would go as far as saying, that the VC GUI is the worst available, and if dr.web ever switched to that one, id ditch it just for that, i cannot be looking at that when scanning or configuring, no way jose, also VC just did not work properly on my machine.

11. n8chavez

I just meant that I would like Dr Web to have tabs, like VirusChaser does, but still be extremely easy to use and read.

My only complaint regarding VC is that is does not fully implement Dr Web's heuristics.

12. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

DrWeb in Cebit 2007:

"Doctor Web, Ltd. developers will showcase the following new security solutions: Dr.WEB AV-Desk (beta), Dr.WEB Anti-virus for MS Exchange servers (beta), Dr.WEB Anti-spam for Windows\Unix and other new innovations. The visitors to the Doctor Web, Ltd stand will witness the release of the new Dr.WEB AV-Desk service." - http://info.drweb.com/show/3032/en

Is this the version 5 they are concentrating on? AV-Desk for Windows? Would be nice if anyone will chime in here if they will be attending in this event and keep us informed. I am sure C.S.J. will fly there if he got FREE air ticket. :)

13. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

This year at CeBIT we are going to present several new solutions by Dr.WEB: Dr.WEB AV-Desk – a web-managed solution for complex protection of corporate networks.

Doesn't sound like version 5. :'(

14. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

This is crazy...

http://info.drweb.com/show/3032/en

According to this page, it doesn't mention what you quoted. Where did you get that information? The URL above mentions for home and corporate environments, not just the corporate networks.

15. ianlai

ianlai Registered Member

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think v5 will be mentioned, if not the version... the technology going into it.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Apparently, V5 will appear in the form of the beta-version in one month or two after a commercial release fully compatible with Windows Vista.

SpIDer Guard introduces some new features:

1. Smart internal cache, reduces I/O while scanning and curing -- works now.
    2. FastMode (codename) for "Smart" mode. In some scenarios reduces number of files being scanned in ~10 times -- works now.
    3. Kill infected process, allows to desinfect active malware -- still disabled.
    4. Find infected instances in memory. If infected file is somehow found, SpIDer scans processes for the same file and desinfect them -- still disabled.

these may come to 4.44 full vista release, or they could wait to put it into the V5 beta release in a month or so, i know there are LOADS more things going into the big V5 release, very exicting news for sure.

:D ;) :p :D :eek:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  18. Firecat

Hmm...I have some thoughts but I have not verified them. But it seems version 5 will indeed release this year. I found the below info on the Dr.Web myths page :)

Lets hope they bring some serious detection rate improvements as well. :)

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont know firecat, but they are doing something .......

over 1000 signatures added in 10 hours today , according to http://live.drweb.com/

thats crazy, never seen that.

20. Firecat

Well, I have seen their detection rate improving in recent days, but still I think they have a long way to go. But still, I think this is good news for you and me. ;)

21. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Me also. :)

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know, no news usually means good news......

but id like to finally see some product updates, or at least some news and dates from dr.web

sure, signatures are a day-to-day task that needs to be done to keep the av moving along nicely, but i think drwebs customers have waited long enough now for a product upgrade, most companys bring a new version out every year, or a few new versions per year, drweb does not and we still wait.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would say its worth the wait.
    just look at how quickly acronis cqme out with version 8 then 9 then 10 and they are really buggy.
    nod32 users have been waiting for version 3.0 for ages and that will be worth the wait as well.
    lodore

24. Firecat

This depends on a lot of things. If the current version works well without error or drawbacks, then the need for a new version is reduced. However, Dr.Web's current version has quite a few drawbacks, such as lack of an HTTP scanner, somewhat poor GUI, not too good detection rates etc.

In cases like this, it becomes important and necessary to release a new version to fix these drawbacks. NOD32 2.7 was already decent enough with only minor flaws, so the late release of 3.0 can be forgiven. This is not the case for Dr.Web.

25. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I still like dr web and would like to see a stronger version hit the market.Even though i look at alot of virus test with a grain of salt it would be KOOL to see a much higher detection rate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.