Dr Web soon to hit One Million

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Threedog, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Just was checking http://live.drweb.com/ and see they are up to 969,000 virus definitions. Any predictions when they will hit the 1,000,000 mark.

My prediction... February 19, 2010

All in fun....no awards or prizes going to the closest :D

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Infcat these counts matter none. IMO.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The database can go up and down. Due to Gen detections being added on a reg basis. So it could be soon or it could be a LONG time.

4. Threedog

Oh I know.....but what's your guess.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

Feb 2nd week I guess.

But does it really mattero_O o_O

6. Dr33

Dr33 Registered Member

Feb 7

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

On their site there is the word "Records" written which indicates not almost a million definitions but almost a million threats .If that is true , it is too bad for them because according to Symantec's web page, today their Intelligent updater contains over 6 millions records of malware

Total Detections (Threats & Risks): 6130122
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_response/definitions.jsp

and their Quorum counts 12 762 332 known bad files

Kaspersky shows over 3.3 million records of security threats
    http://www.kaspersky.com/viruswatch3

Not to add that they both have behaviour analyzers

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

:thumb:

And that is why they should NOT exist . But lots of vendors actually have them

9. risl

risl Registered Member

Don't know where you got that information that a record means one threat.

Taken from Dr.Web site: "The Dr.Web virus databases is designed differently; a single entry in it allows to detect tens, or hundreds, or even thousands similar viruses!"

Traditional signatures, generic signatures and heuristic technology(analyzer, origins tracing, fly-code)are implemented so there is no way you can actually count how many threats it will detect.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

The counting problem is complex, and the “6 million” number may significantly underestimate the actual detection capabilities of the their signatures. As Symantec says here, “we can effectively provide generic protection against potentially hundreds or thousands of malicious files with a single signature.”

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

That counts for many other av products.Kaspersky and Symantec also have generic signatures,packer detection,heuristic technologies,behavious analyzers,etc.

12. risl

risl Registered Member

You obviously missed the point.

Everyone has been saying here and these companies state this in their websites: Numbers don't matter, they don't tell you anything. Even if there is 10 million signatures, it still doesn't mean it protects you any better than a one with one million signatures.

Realize it please. :)

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

It does not appear to me that anyone in this thread has advanced the argument that the quantity of signatures is solely indicative of a product’s performance in protecting against malware.

The recent set of whole-product dynamic tests (by AV-Comparatives, AV-Test and Dennis Technology Lab) illustrates the importance of considering all the protection capabilities of a product when making an assessment -- not just signature-based detection (although that facet continues to be important).

P.S.: Interestingly, Prevx claims to have “the World's largest real time threat database” (an assertion for which I have seen no empirical justification). Yet, the fact that this statement is a headline on their home webpage suggests the significance that this one company places upon database size.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A markeing trend.

15. risl

risl Registered Member

What I commented against, was that false information about "dr.web states that they can detect only million _threats_ which is "bad" since symantec detects six million"

Maybe I'm not capable of reading english, but I see it here:

"On their site there is the word "Records" written which indicates not almost a million definitions but almost a million threats .If that is true , it is too bad for them because according to Symantec's web page, today their Intelligent updater contains over 6 millions records of malware"

I can't see such words in dr.web site that one record equals one threat.

16. Threedog

This thread wasn't intended to be about anything other than the number of signatures or records or whatever you want to call them on the Dr Web live page and an out of fun, an estimate of when you think they will hit the Million mark.

Obviously, the spirit and intent of this thread has been missed so the Mods can feel free to lock it up.

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

February 15, going by their currret progress. :cool:

Although it's the first link on their page, didn't realise it existed.
    http://live.drweb.com/

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You mean this thread is not about "empirical justification" or how complex the "counting problem" is?
    Oh good!
    Then I'll say February 20th! Uh oh, that's a Saturday. Might not be a smart guess. ;)

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Unfortunately, Threads like this are doomed into becoming a A vs B as soon as you hit the post button. :doubt:

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

C'mon, Fajo. Step up and make a prediction.
    It's all in fun, like Threedog said.
    It's only about predicting a date.
    :)

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

As I don't want to derail the thread. Which you and me both know I'm good at. We will just leave it at that and you guys play nice. :p

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

By looking at the title, I though Dr Web's customer base are going to hit 1m.:p

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok. I can't resist, But same here when I first read the title. I was disappointed tho when I read what it was about. :p

24. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Wilders is stricly serious forum from what I have seen and such threads rarely last long .

OMG ! What a fun it is :ninja:

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Having been a member of Wilders for 15 days, I can see where that puts you in a position to advise the OP about how this forum works. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.