Dr Web Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CtlAltDelete, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

Trialing Dr Web and have a couple of questions.

#1 Are there any recommended settings that should be changed from the default.....maybe a website that shows screen pics, etc.

#2 I've noticed in the help file that it says:

"By default, SpIDer Guard XP version operates in the enhanced protection mode. In this mode the guard immediately checks all files, the scanning of which is specified in the program’s settings, and all other opened files are put on the queue for check (files opened for reading in the Smart and Create and write files modes). With the computer resources available, the guard will also check these files.
    To disable this mode check the Disable enhanced protection mode box."

This is NOT the case! Mine was checked upon the initial install and I had to UNcheck it. Am I missing something here or is the help file wrong?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look at a past thread here for a configuration of Dr Web, particularly post 67 by FireFighter. Overall, the default settings are fine and will give you good protection.

Don't worry too much about the Dr Web Help-File; IMO it still needs a lot of work doing on it. The enhanced protection mode is disabled by default. Recent post on this feature is here.

3. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Ctlaltdelete,
    This is my default setting for SpIDer Guard.Since i have installed drweb have change nothing.

Attached Files:

4. CtlAltDelete

Hi Blackcat,
    Thanks for the info. I was just reading one of your threads in the Dr Web forums........

5. CtlAltDelete

Why do you want the enhanced protection disabled?

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Sorry, I should have said this is the drweb default settings.
    BC.

7. ink

ink Registered Member

This is the default settings, the help file is not updated.
    If you do a whole system scan, disable enhanced protection is ok, but you'd better scan the removeable drive before use it.
    You can enable the enhanced protection, and you will notice a little freeze.
    If you fully understand the smart mode and the enhanced protection mode, you will make your own choice with more confidence.

8. CtlAltDelete

Why would enabling the enhanced protection cause a "little freeze" in the system.

Not sure what you mean by scan removeable drive before disabling enhanced protection.

9. ink

ink Registered Member

enhanced protection will scan a little more file.
    when enhanced protection disabled, I recommend you to scan your removeable drive to keep it clean. It will not scan any file if you only open the drive and do nothing.

10. Blackcat

Simply put;

If you are not enabling the enhanced protection mode, which is the default setting just make sure that you carry out regular on-demand scans and scan all downloaded files coming into your system. In this way you are covering the back of the Smart Mode of SpiderGuard.

IMO, they have not enabled this enhanced protection mode in the default settings for a reason. So the default settings are sufficient for good protection coupled with regular scans.

11. CtlAltDelete

I think I need some more coffee because I'm still confused. If the enhanced protection is better, why would it be off by default? Why do you think they have it disabled? What setting do YOU use and why?

Sorry for so many questions...new to Dr W.

12. Blackcat

Probably because they have found that in testing it may cause conflicts/slowdowns.

I am simply using the default settings after a custom install.

13. CtlAltDelete

So if I change it back to the default setting of disabled, I should be sure and run regular scans (which I do weekly). Other than that, are there any special settings I should make to compensate for turning off this option?

14. Blackcat

No. You should be fine ;)

15. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I also run Dr.Web at default settings and scan weekly. No problems here.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

default settings, isnt the heuristics turned off by default?

17. CtlAltDelete

No. Heuristics is ON by default.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe it used to be set to off by default once but now its set to ON by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.