Dr.Web Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LoneWolf, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Marketing, particularly here in the "West" has never been one of the strong points of Dialogue Science/Dr Web. They will release the beta/commercial release of version 5 when it is ready and not before.

Anyway, those of us who waited for F-Prot 4/6 find no problem in the wait for Dr Web 5 :D

It seems like it is the very small AV vendors who are having problems in quickly producing a Vita-compatible version.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I just hate that response. It seems to be the standard reply whenever someone asks about a new version. What are you and android that is only capable of delivering fed responses? Come on, get excited about something. It's not against the law.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

According to tests by AV-Comparatives (AV-C), DrWeb's technology has sunk to 2nd tier.

I've have used DRW since 2003. My current license expires early next month. DRW's degraded performance at AV-C, coupled with their silence about forthcoming plans/improvements, is making it difficult for me to think of reasons to stay with them.:doubt:

4. n8chavez

Exactly. I could have said it better myself. I was in a similar situation with NOD32. The argument used then was that I should trust the company and trust in its record. First of all, that argmument is not logical. I will be using the newer product, not the current older one. Same with Dr Web, which is why I can't understand being tight-lipped. Dr Web, as you mentioned, does not have the track record that we can rely on. They need to give us something, anything will do.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

tests tests tests,

remember, av-test are/were the most reputable testing company out-there,

that was, until nod32 recieved a low score, now some people say the testing is a joke, and the others have boycotted nod32 because of it.

if you like the software, and it DOES do its job for you personally, this should be all the evidence you need.

remember these tests are full of massive malware collections, probably 99% of those tested you will never personally recieve, and the remaining 1% you have to trust drweb to find, personally i do. ;)

drweb, like f-prot offer a very good av at a great price with good support and low pc resources used.

the software does not need to be 'talked-up', it does that for itself. :blink:

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So what is the latest from Av-test.org regarding Dr.Web?

7. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, then like I said, think about the "here and now". From a detection rate point of view, maybe Dr.Web is not as good as it once was, but its still not so bad. If you want to change, its your decision. I personally keep an interest in Dr.Web because I like their engine and technology, not because I care a lot about their detection rates. :)

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, on par with f-prot if you go off the latest av-test (which i dont)

and only just slightly behind nod32 and mcafee, so i really wouldnt say its poor.

but drweb offers sooo much more for its money,detection rates aint everything.

11. n8chavez

Aren't they the same thing; doesn't the engire as well as their technology lead to their detection rates? If so, then how can you say that you like them but not the detection rates? That's like saying you like 1+1 but not 2. Perhaps you meant to say is that you like the possibilities that are in Dr Web? If that is the case, I agree with you.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb, like KAV is an unpacking monster :)

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

In general, true, but not necessarily. :)

Yep....;)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Why do we use AVs? Isn't it to secure our systems through detection and removal of malware? At least that is the reason I use one.
    So I don't consider 2nd or 3rd tier products. I full understand that none is good if it does not run well on your system, and is beset by bugs and conflicts. But why use less than the best ones when they run well for you?

My one exception is Avast Home when I am undecided what to use. But I also use AS applications to hopefully fill in the weak areas.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think ive answered this one many times before.....so do a search :)

also, what makes you think an av is top tier, av-comparatives?

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know your position on Dr Web, and its OK. One should use what he likes.

Yes, AVC is the single best authority, in my view, for determination of detection rates. While all test sites do not agree, the ones that seem to have the best reputation are in general agreement as to the best detection rates.

I seems to me that it would be very difficult to make a case that Kaspersky and Avira are not top tier AVs, and that those who do not rate Advanced + are as good. Certainly those who make only Standard are third tier.

I realize I have posted these comments before, and maybe sound like a "broken record" but it is hard to not comment when some of the ones that have much poorer detection rates are so highly praised. The arguments are that they are light, run well, and one has confidence in the future improvement. I'll take a look when and if those improvements surface.

PS, My comments were not directed to you specifically, although you are surely a great supporter of Dr Web. Stay with it if it suits you. That is what I do.

Regards,
    Jerry

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i assure you, if removal was tested... avira would definatly not be top tier.

and if bugged programs were tested, avira would not be top tier.

kaspersky will tho, and is still one of the benchmarks for AV.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I cannot argue that, as I have never had to remove anything with either AV. There can be little doubt that Avira is one of the very best at detection and prevention of malware.
    I'll defer to you on the removal aspect.

ADDED.
    Hey CSJ,
    I remember that I have seen some tests that test the removal aspect of AVs. Do you happen to have any test sites that give those figures?
    Thanks.

Best,
    Jerry

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

2 2 true. :cool:

I expect DRW to make an *amazing comeback* in the future (like Rocky Balboa), but I won't pay a "fee for waiting."

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm, removal tests.....
    k.
    i dont know if there are any, if you find any reputable ones, share the links for sure.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

But wasn't Rocky Balboa a fictional character?:D :D
    Best,
    Jerry

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

CheckVir tests scan and disinfection rates for a number of AV's. And AV-Test org has also produced some System disinfection rates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.