dr.web + prevx

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by alloucho, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

i use for the moment dr.web 4.44. it´s light and hope one of the best in terms of detecting and cleaning real threats. do i need to install another security software like prevx, as it is, so virusinfo http://virusinfo.info/index.php?page=testseng, has Best heuristics?

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I use Dr. Web, Avira, F-Protect, NIS, Eset, and F-Secure. I use one for a few months and then rotate to another, etc. I keep Prevx on with any of them and have never had an infection. Any of the AVs I use (and others) along with Prevx should protect you.

3. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Dr Web is pretty good by itself but adding Prevx makes the chance of you getting infected a lot less likely. I am like Bunkhouse and switch av's and stuff around a lot but usually keep Prevx in the mix. I took Prevx alone out for a spin to the dark side a while ago on the computer on a fresh image with nothing on it to worry about getting infected with Prevx set on Pro mode. I came away very impressed with the job Prevx did. I had been thinking of dropping it where they haven't updated it lately but now I think I would feel naked without it.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dr web has got decent heristic. it does have some false positives sometimes thou.
    prevx is a nice extra layer

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Prevx works flawlessly with Drweb, without adding any noticeable slowdowns.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

alloucho,

That is one of many viable approaches to increase potential protection. Whether it's a needed addition depends on a number of factors which could be loosely collected under a generic umbrella of risk profile. What you want to do is minimize your risk profile - which is easier stated than precisely defined in actionable steps.

However, one measure to consider that will substantially decrease any risk profile is to (if you have not done so already) position your primary usage account as a limited user account (LUA; this is done using Start>Control Panel>User Accounts, select an account and Change the account type). When I do this, I first tend to create a secondary passworded administrator level account as a quick failsafe to minimize the need to invoke the default Admin from a safe mode boot.

IMHO, the default XP LUA is operationally dysfunctional due to general application level programming practices. This is where nifty little facilities such as SuRun come into play - they help render LUA as it really should be (again, IMHO) implemented by the OS.

Almost any AV product + LUA + SuRun yield a system about as secure as required by almost anyone. The latter two measures are free and provide very tight security when used with or without a decent AV. Partition virtualization (if you wish to take things to the next level) can be used to augment this already tight protection if desired.

The major benefit of this structural direction is that it is readily implemented and used, involves largely passive measures, and through the AV (or any other type of blacklist based system - and this includes PrevX) provides a decent expert system to assess the nature of downloaded content when required.

It is not absolute protection - nor is any scheme that allows new content to be run on a system.

As an aside, Dr Web does run well in this setting.

Blue

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.