Dr Web or VBA32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I friend of mine asked me the other day which AV she should buy because her licence for her current AV is going to expire. She asked about these two AVs; knowing that I have been a fan of both. I have no idea what to tell her because I do like both. Which one should I advise her to get and why? Thanks. This should really help.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Both are very lightweight primary scanners in terms of their effect on system performance, stable and both have excellent heuristics and support.

However, Dr Web would be slightly cheaper with the Migration license and it appears to have a better detection rate of (zoo) malware compared to VBA32. But if she is a low-risk surfer, then it will simply come down to personal choice.

As always, it would be better if she trials the two and see which one suits her and her system the best.

She could always use VBA32 as her primary scanner and Dr Web's CureIT as a secondary backup scanner ;)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with Blackcat's suggestion that she trials each.
    That way she can see what program she likes better.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

All other things being more or less equal, I would think that the AV with better detection is the prudent choice.

5. the Tester

Support or lack of it can be a factor also.;)

6. n8chavez

I do think that company response or support should be a factor in deciding AVs. But I don't think she really cares about that; she's not very technically minded. I think she just wants the best product out of those. I do know that neither faired very well in the latest AV-comparatives test, which is a bummer. I do agree with using Cureit as a backup AV, but again I think that might be more than she wants to deal with. Which do you think is the better product?

BTW: Is anyone getting a virus with VBA32 going to www.ebay.com? (Trojan-Downloader.JS.Feebs#1)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would not use this result as the sole criteria to choose an AV. At the present time, using the av-comparative levels, I am using two Standard and 1 sub-Standard AV amongst my Work/Home computers :p
    Yup! FP?

8. Antus

Antus Registered Member

I have a license for Dr.Web and VBA32 and both are very good antivirus softwares.....yikes!!!!!!!! tough one to choose. Best to trial both and see for ones self. Surfing habits are to be considered for sure. Detection from what I have witnessed are very close.

9. .....

..... Registered Member

I can say great things about VBA32's support, its extremely promt and helpful. I sent an email earlier today and received a reply in a few hours, even on an sunday! Brilliant. :D

10. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Good to know you rec'd a reply in just a few hours, thats heads up by support!! Thanks for the post and info

11. the Tester

The dedication that Vba32's developers show to their customers is one of the reasons why I use Vba32.

12. fifo98

fifo98 Registered Member

I'm afraid VBA32 has a high rate of erroneous detection, I'd like to say - very high. It's a leader of the world saying 'infected' about legal files. Would you like to have so dangerous software installed on your computer?

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Any FP I have ever come across once reported is taken care of by the nexy update. So I see no issues with this, all AVs have FPs.

14. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

You wanted to say 'suspicious'? VBA32 really has a high number of false alarms when using 'excessive' heuristics mode, this mode is recommended only for advanced users and you get a warning about possible false alarms when trying to set this mode. Why is this setting needed? The people who do hesitate to use quarantine module to submit such suspicious samples to us have false heuristics alarms fixed very fast. On the other hand, there is also a higher chance to detect unknown malware in this mode and prevent infection.

As for signature FP on ebay, such problems are quite rare and happen with every AV from time to time.

15. n8chavez

I discovered a particularly nasty malware yesterday; it copies itself to system32 and uses about 50 misc names. Then messes with the registry and tries to access the internet. VBA32 caught it, or at least parts of it. NOD caught the rootkit part(s). I copied the NOD quarantinied files to VBA and sent them. Has anyone ever has success with quarantine feedback or just is it just successful via email?

16. the Tester

I have recieved prompt responses when I sent suspicious files via e-mail.Haven't used the quarantine feedback yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.