Dr.Web® for Windows 4.33 realized

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AndreyKa, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredra

fredra Registered Member

LOL :D
    Those new BMW's do need fixing when they get older, and the i-Drive stops working.. hehehehehehe :D
    Now I will never get to take my vacation in Hawaii...bellgamin is after my hide for that statement...lol
    Cheers :)

2. twig

twig Guest

Just ran Cure-it and its jammed packed with a few decent false positives . trojon downloader or such. Kind of scary when there are so many people who may be using either dr web 4.33 or Cure-it currently who may end up in the next few days wiping out a few bits and pieces. If my chosen anti virus that I had paid for acted like this I would not be a happy chappy at all. I remember a few years ago dr webb was known to be quite capable of many false positives and not recommended for the average user. Spyware programmes were good at this also in the hope of promoting their product as "just that little bit better at detecting ".Not that the good dr is doing this of course. I hope they come to grips with this.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I had any slowdowns with DrWeb too. Only some missed program icons (BOCLean, SpIDer Guard, Outpost, ShadowUser and MWSnap 3) in my system tray in the beginning, when I started to use DrWeb 4.33 as my only av. That hasn't happened today after 5 bootups.

Only 4 FP:s in 230k+ scanned files, which were actually not real FP:s, only suspicious CLEAN files. In Yahoo ToolBar Spyware Scan, PrimoPDF writer, Ahead-Nero MediaHome and that file already mentioned here elsewhere in M$ AntiSpyware. Three of them are already corrected.

Almost any system load at all with DrWeb now. Look at my system overview and those memory/CPU loads.

Btw.

kt = kb
    Muistin käyttö = Mem load
    Muistin käytön huippuarvo = Mem peak value
    NM-koko = VM-size, Virtual Memory

PS. Normally that CPU load is between 4...25 %, it depends what I'm doing.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  4. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge Guest

AndreyKa,

Thank you for your response to my post. Your suggestions seem to resolve almost all my issues.

In regard to the CPU spikes with Spider Guard when “Disable enhanced protection mode” is unchecked, you are correct that it settles down if I wait several minutes.

In regard to “When changes are made to Spider Guard and the “OK” button is hit, get fluctuating high CPU usage until the computer is rebooted, you suggest the following:

Uncheck "Scan running programs and modules" to prevent it. This does resolve the issue.

I want to share the following with this forum. If a leave “Disable enhanced protection mode” checked (which I believe is the default) and then uncheck "Scan running programs and modules", Dr.Web Spider Guard now runs fast, smooth and lightweight similar to v4.32b. Also get no CPU spiking.

Also, the false positives I submitted to Dr.Web have been resolved in a recent virus base update.

The only remaining issue is I can not run Process Guard with Dr.Web. Computer locks up when I get to the desktop. However, in all fairness to Dr.Web, this could be a Process Guard issue.

Thanks again for your help AndreyKa.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Have you tried to un install process Guard and then reinstall it with learningmode on?

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Kudos to DrWeb, all the FP's I submitted have been fixed and running as smooth as 4.32b. :D Yea!!!

7. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Thanks very much for these tips........re-installed Dr. Web again and runs like an oiled machine again.
    What a panic in the camp!!!!!!!
    But this is great, all problems for me are solved with these settings.

;) Putin

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Does this only apply to users of PG? Because I have "Disable enhanced protection mode" checked and still have "Scan running programs and modules" checked, with the doctor running as smooth as 4.32b.

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    Does anyone with Dr Web 4.33 installed have the following on the same PC.
    -HP Photosmart Printer Drivers ?
    -Yahoo Messenger and search bar for IE?
    Both of these generate FP's (IMHO) with 4.33, on my PC, that is why I am asking.
    I have already sent the files to them for analysis, but I just wanted to check here.
    Thanks for your input.

10. Firefighter

I have too the same as you. Still the lowest Memory/CPU load that I have met so far with excellent heuristics. Check my former posts about those figures.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

11. Benvan45

I am not using PG and had a lot of trouble with freezing up my pc when deleting large exe files and it just slowed my pc down in all other cases. All I changed now: unchecked "scan running programs and modules" and everything is fine. I left "disable enhanced protection mode" checked.

;) Putin

12. Firefighter

Have you uninstalled those former av:s in safe mode?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

As a fellow long time DrWEB user its time for my quarterly dumb question. I have read references to Uncheck "Scan running programs and modules and “Disable enhanced protection mode” checked. Are these Spider Guard settings and where do I find them. I have snooped around all of the settings I am familiar with and haven't found them yet... o_O

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Have tried these settings and numerous installs/uninstalls. All to no avail.

Each time I select the tray menu SpiderGuard jumps up in memory and this is not released again. Due to this action, I have seen the two spidernt.exe processes at over 30MB VM each so no low memory footprint here with the present version!

SG is taking up over 65MB VM!!!! Obviously something wrong somewhere. No other file-checking program in real time and only Dr Web and my firewall running in the system tray. Let's hope support can be of help.

15. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Mongol
    Right click on Spider Guard in the tray, then click "settings", there you will see the "On-access scan mode for Disable Enchanced, and in Additional tasks you will see Scan running programs.
    Hope that helps.

16. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

OK, now I see what you folks are doing. Its right on the front screen, no wonder I missed it. I was busy flipping through the tabs. Those settings helped alot and thanks... :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  17. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Whenever I go to Spider Guard settings>paths I fill out the options it shows, then I press OK. I load it back up and the options I chose for it are not there. So I gotta do it all over again.... o_O Is this normal?

Regards,

Brandon

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I hit Apply then OK whenever I make a change. That seems to set my preferences and keep them... :cool:

19. Benvan45

No, I have not, but it isn't needed right now, as Dr. Web runs as smooth as the former version!
    All I have done is: unchecked "Scan running programs and modules" and Dr. Web is soaring like before.

;) Putin

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  20. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I think this is worthy to call it 4.5...... rather than just increment version by .01

( Apart from those occsional CPU spike this is perfect! )

Does anyone know if Dr.Web has HTTP scanner?

21. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

Some new features in DrWeb 4.33 (WinXP/2000).

Dialog Spider Guard Settings. Excludes pane:
    I. Allow wildcards (masks)
    II. Allow relative file names
    Examples:
    1. C:\AAA\BBB - absolute folder name
    1a. \\SERVER\Share\Folder - absolute remote folder name
    2. C:\AAA\BBB\CCC.EXE - absolute file name
    3. CCC.EXE - relative file name (must be enabled)
    4. C:\AAA\X* - absolute file name mask (must be enabled)
    5. *.INI - relative file name mask (must be enabled)

New keys in DRWEB32.INI:
    1) MaxFileSizeToExtract = xxx (in KB)
    2) MaxCompressionRatio = N (relative number).
    3) CompressionCheckThreshold = xxx (in KB)
    If a file size (unpacked) smaller than CompressionCheckThreshold then the file checks without taking MaxCompressionRatio into consideration.
    4) MaxFileSizeToScan = xxx (in KB).

22. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

I really like numbers 1 and 4. I really am impressed with the number of issues/complaints that have been addressed in this version. Stupid question: What section of the .ini file should these entries be made? I assume it would be under the [SPIDerGuardNT] section but a confirmation of this would be nice.

23. Firefighter

Just added those 1. and 4. to DrWeb.ini sections [Windows] and [SpIDerGuardNT], but I've got two error messages like these when I tried to open DrWeb scanner.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

24. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

It appears that those error messages are due to the entries under the [windows] section. It also appears that DrWeb removes those invalid entries from the ini file automatically. Just editing those entries into the [SPIDerGuardNT] is sufficent I believe. Also, I don't think you need the "kb" at the end of the file size. Although it didn't seem to cause an error message on this machine when I tried it I would just drop it.

25. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

[SpIDerGuardNT]
    MaxFileSizeToExtract = 1000
    MaxFileSizeToScan = 1000

SpiderNT.log:
    ---
    01-10-2005 20:24:03 [CL] C:\Program Files\DrWeb\EXCEL.EXE - file too large, skipped
    ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.