Dr.Web Experiences?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xorrior, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xorrior

xorrior Registered Member

I've always liked this AV because of it's performance and early detections. It's also portable. I didn't pay it attention till I noticed it was detecting rootkits like Rustock before the other vendors. I think they also have r/t protection now in the free one. I'm a Avira user, but I'll give this one a run sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Well i recently tried it n although i was overall very content with the app it gave me major slowdown problems ingame :'(

Hope your experience will b better though, i suppose it can only improve from now on although its major strong point being lean is less of a priority in their current version.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

This topic is just /facepalm

4. xorrior

It's identical format to ~98% of the threads in this forum section. You must be pulling your hair out. I also didn't see any remotely updated Dr.Web threads, and a redundancy of nearly every other AV.

You seem more bitter than grieved at the subject.

5. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Maybe I just do not understand the implications of "facepalm"

But I have to say I am with xorrior ,I see nothing unusual/inappropriate about this thread.

Can you enlighten us?

6. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

Maybe is it related to those "A. vs the world" threads, those which are totally appropriate...except they might be considered as "A vs B thread".
    I don't understand myself the prohibition of the last one.

7. gery

gery Registered Member

i believe if we all focus not on what the thread is or is not the thread will not became anything bad. so lets just answer the question folks.
    Dr Web is very good AV and security suite application. It is not that fancy looking software but it does the job very well. I like it very much

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Dr. Web doesn't fare well in whichever test it is tested but I personally find Dr. Web as a good performer:thumb:

9. risl

risl Registered Member

I have used it since 2007, now upgraded to the AV Pro.

The AV engine is very capable(unpacking, anti-rootkit, cleaning etc. according to tests), it has nice heuristics technology(origins, fly-code, traditional analyzer)and the signatures are updated every hour almost 24/7. It is also difficult for malware to disable because of self-protection(according to tests). It can also protect the HOSTS file, autoruns and "critical system objects" what ever it means. The only problem I currently find with the AV is scan speed and it doesn't have any technology to make it faster after the first complete scan.

The firewall is a traditional packet filter with outbound application control. I can achieve full stealth in every firewall test but still allow all network access to my applications.

There is just no reason for me to change, or even think about other antiviruses. This doesn't even cost much. The one computer AV Pro license was something around 25EUR.

It has not been tested for a while in some "more famous" tests, would like to see some updated results.

10. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Maybe fajo just doesn't like an antivirus that works more to protect its users instead of passing a static detection test LOL

Regardless of what he wants to moan about, drweb has always been one of the best to protect its users while its removal and self protection is probably second to nobody.

A solid antivirus, more people seem to focus more on its looks which I doubt people would if it came a time when they needed the doctor :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. xorrior

In my OP post the last sentence in the paragraph is the only thing that remotely resembles a comparative. Collectively I asked for opinions on experiences, which is usually stuff like UI, post-infection removal etc..etc

Face-palm is usually used to indicate grief. It's interesting cause my post has a identical format to nearly every thread in this section including successful multi-paged ones. That's why I said it seems more like bitterness to face-palm. Maybe even a little over-dramatic. I don't use end-user forums and chat much so I may be misinterpreting something.

On-topic:The free Dr.Web does seem to have a r/t engine now. If you look at the discoveries of some of the most sophisticated rootkits in recent years this was the first AV to have signatures for it. Rustock.c was one that I know for sure. It's worth mentioning, and yes it's a comparative. Rustock.c was in the wild 2+ years before the first discovery of it, and then it took a special VM just to reverse it.

12. risl

risl Registered Member

I don't understand what you are talking about, there is no "free dr.web with real-time monitor". The free CureIt has only on-demand scanner.

13. xorrior

"SelfPROtect" inadvertently does using it's signature data to protect itself. Only exception is it doesn't hook file system read/write. The premiums all do.

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ROFL. This is pretty much the response from any AV that manages to fail a test whether it be static or dynamic. Web's philosophy of if we can't pass it, we will pull out or blame how the test was done is a fall back they have used for years now.

I love it when things like this come up with nothing but Hot air. Please show proof, and something more the just Dr. Web tooting its own horn. Removal only goes as far as what it can DETECT as for the self protection that has been shown a few times to be easily bypassed, Just like every other AV maker. I really did expect more from you but maybe that was just wishful thinking.

This one believe it or not I agree with you on to a point. Unfortunately alot of AV's have went with flashy GUI's and no update to there product. The only issue I have with webs GUI is it looks like it was coded in Windows 98 and would require little to no effort to update. But maybe that has just become there trade mark after all this time.

15. format_c

format_c Registered Member

that's just Fajo, the domestic Dr.Web basher, nothing news. he wants only loathsome-flaaaaashy GUI, not the protection.

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I wonder If I can get that title instead of very frequent poster. o_O

17. risl

risl Registered Member

Now the tests have started to change towards the direction Dr.Web pointed out already few years ago. Dynamic testing and "better" methods are now being researched. What was wrong with the old methodology Dr.Web dropped out of, why the testers don't stick with those old methodologies anymore? The problem Dr.Web pointed out was the amount of broken files, non harmful files and dead viruses in the test sets which lead to result that doesn't reflect real life situation. Wonder why the testers now are more accurate and like to show proof that their files are actual malware. :)

There are a few self-protection tests where Dr.Web has received high rankings, the cleaning abilities are well known. Maybe the thousands of CureIt / LiveCD downloaders infected with other antiviruses are the best proof? Wonder why many are downloading it in search for help.

People complaining about Dr.Web GUI and detection rates are living in the past. Detections have improved and the GUI is currently "good enough"

18. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Facepalm is an honorable title, don't you think.

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I agree there has been some tests that have shown web as having good self protection. There has also been people that have simply bypassed it with a simple click of a .exe file. The point is any self protection can be bypassed or disabled if the person is focused on that product.

As for the dynamic testing if you look at what has been done the top contenders are still just that yes the top 5 or so rearranged a bit but it still basically showed what the static tested had showed. I personally like the dynamic testing and hope it is more widely adopted.

As for the removal rate. Again web is only going to have a chance to remove what it can detect. If it cant detect it the only thing it can do is sit there and look stupid. This can apply to ANY AV not just web. Some AV's will detect things the other ones don't and vs.

20. CogitoTesting

I tried this morning their Web Security Space Pro and it is an horrible product as a whole. Their firewall is definitely a minus to me; there is no unified GUI and the firewall is very chatty. I understand that it's Dr Web first attempt at a complete suite and I'm willing to forgive them. Nonetheless, they better get their act together soon since there are better products than theirs.

The only plus sign for me is their antivirus which I will be testing tonight in my VM, at least it is good at cleaning :D.

Thanks.

21. risl

risl Registered Member

The firewall is divided into 2 sections, other for changing settings and the other to see what's going on. I think it's pretty simple. If i want to change something I go to "settings" or if I want to view logs I go to "statistics". The antivirus guard is similar :D

The tray agent right-click menu is their "control panel" and everything is available there. I can directly access things with one or two clicks, rather than opening a "main window" and then browsing to where I want.

For example, if I need the quarantine I will right-click the icon and then click quarantine under automatically opening "tools" menu. This takes around 2 seconds. If I need to scan my computer, I will just right click and select scanner which is 2 clicks and 2 seconds.

In avast I would need to click open the main interface(and wait it to load), then click maintenance and there I will need to select the quarantine. If I want to scan something, I will need to open the interface, then select computer scan, and under computer scan there is full scan and some "play/start" button.

Maybe it's just some "oldschool" design people are not used to, but in the end it's actually quite ergonomic.

22. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol Fajo, you have no clue about anything.

didnt the guy who created that tool take 6 months to bypass drwebs self protection, you dont find this impressive?
    maybe not everyone is quite as sad, of which a fix was quickly created btw.

I enjoy your pressance in every Drweb thread, with very similar bashing comments and not-got-a-clue comments too, your really quite pathetic! :isay:

AV testing is changing purely for the demonstrations of such companys & drweb wasnt the only one, there were many many companys, its just easier for you to say they pulled out due to low percentages, you dont like to admit this but its fact, is all this really hard to see for you?

the recent blog post at virusinfo kinda brought this to light aswell, but maybe you only read what-you-want-to.

removal only goes as far as what can be detected, sure it does, but whats the difference between detecting but cant remove, maybe you rely that everything will be blocked and the virus will remain blocked and inactive on your PC? if so, your just kidding yourself here!

and as for detection, maybe you havnt been aware of the 1000's per day they have been adding in recent months, they have up'ed their detection tenfold, i fail to see any argument against Drweb that you think you may have.

Drwebs self protection and removal really are 2nd to nobody, and then you bring comments up about tests that drweb used to participate in years ago, tests which are now being changed BECAUSE of their innaccuracys with their results.

fact is, you dont like seeing Drweb do well because they do things the-right way, and exceed at nearly everything they do. :thumb:

Drweb will continue to do the right things to protect its users, and CureIt will continue to clean many many computers of your beloved antivirus :)

i guess you also dismissed the AV-TEST of Marx aswell as your beloved AV didnt do so well, and this was one of those tests that has improved because of past failures, the largest dynamic test to-date!

... like i said, you read, hear and say what you want to, factual or not.

Welcome to another Drweb thread :argh:

23. format_c

format_c Registered Member

I guess you won such prize years ago. just ask the admin in PM

24. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Please Enlighten me what my beloved AV is ? I use many different ones across many different computers. I don't use just one AV, If your talking about things in my sig normally they are things I'm testing. Right now on my work laptop I am using Prevx because it is what works best for it's environment it's been this way for a year now. You act like I'm bashing on web because I am a Fanboy of some other AV which of that's the case you are sadly mistaken.

As for bypassing self protection it took a hour not 6 months unless we are both thinking of different tools / methods used. The focus on self protection all in all is moot if it can't even detect the Malware that is attacking it in the first place. the computer is hosed and a AV standing there waving a flag saying I'm still here is not going to do anything but watch your data go bubye.

The only thing you seem to have any interest in is attempting to bash me then provide proof to your own statements. Anyways this topic is just going in circles so you sit here and have your pow wow Ill go back to work. ;)

25. CogitoTesting

Well then you must be a rich man in order to be able to afford all these licenses. Eventually, I'm pretty sure all your free trials would run out. Don't you think?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.