Dr.Web Beta screenshots

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by risl, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomad Soul

Nomad Soul Registered Member

Don't even mention Real World tests)
    Fake AV's is really your best choice as somebody said)

Playing with antivirus isn't important thing I think. It is not desighned to check checkboxes and switch it's tabs. Antivirus should work good without intrusion into you life with it's shiny windows and should not be opened every day by you to admire it's exterior.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well first an antivirus should be easy to navigate and intuitive (which is what a clean and nice looking GUI does, when u get a win98 cryptic looking GUI no new user is gunna go out and buy it, it has to look nice, simple and easy to navigate with clear menu's and organization (not 300 diff windows for each function...)

and 2nd, marketing, nobody is gunna buy a product that looks like it was made by some college kid in their basement, sad maybe, but thats how it is and if they wanna stay they have got to adapt.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I agree with this. If the GUI wasn't important, then why not ditch the GUI all together and stick with cmd line. I know most of the changes for Dr.Web have been under the hood but, I think most customers want changes that they can see visually with each new release (ie ver 3 to 4 to 5).

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You really have no grasp of reality do you ? You defend the program just to defend it. If you would take a minute to read the post that have been exchanged here, you would see where I am coming from. But insted you blindly go from thread to thread trying to insult the posters without even looking at what people are saying.

I do want to thank SerM among other posters for hearing what I had to say on the issue, and I feel everything that needed to be said has been. So on that note I will leave it there.

5. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Wow...

Not sure I could disagree more and I am currently a programmer and have designed interfaces and software apps for years.

6. format_c

format_c Registered Member

I guess it's you who'd designed that inconvient, irregular and flashy UI,
    blondie oriented bloarware.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Everyone is different. I happen to like flashy GUIs.

To me that is the problem with Dr.Web. I would prefer to access all of the real-time settings in one window, I'm fine the main scanner window.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  8. Nomad Soul

You started to write in this thread from this words. We discuss Dr.Web beta screenshots. This is what you want to say on this topic? It was rhetorical question as soon as you leave it there:rolleyes:

9. risl

risl Registered Member

It is a known issue that Dr.Web doesn't have as good interface as the others. It has been this way for like .. how many years?

.. but still I don't understand people who judge a book by it's cover without taking look at what it actually is capable of. This is a minimalistic solution, like the car toyota that doesn't look much but works without problems year after year.

The software pros and cons in my opinion and after my over 3 year usage since version 4.33:

+ Troublefree, pretty much no problems
    + Works fine with default settings
    + Light, only around 10 mbs of memory and not much cpu
    + Frequent signature updates, like 10 times per day
    + Many settings to tweak
    + Very capable scan engine with good unpacking support, nice heuristics(emulation?), archive support etc. It can even unpack some encrypted files even if it doesn't recognize the crypter.
    + The drivers are very nice, allowing good self-protection and removal of malware.
    + Overall detection is probably getting better because of the automatic signature robot.

- It looks bad
    - It seems they are slow in taking action when users ask for a feature. Quarantine took many years and gui is still not good. They don't participate in the most respected tests.
    - You have zero street credibility in these forums if you mention about using dr.web, you always have to explain why :D

I've always looked at Dr.Web being quite similar to F-prot, both being minimalistic. F-prot is basically dead though.

10. Nomad Soul

As I remember settings in Avast 5 (I do not want to offend anybody, but it became our example) are smeared on this flashy GUI and it is not so easy to configure it.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I don't really care if the GUI is flashy or not. I would just like the all of the real-time settings and report options in one window. Maybe even allow me to access the real-time settings when I open the main scanner window. I'm not looking for aero effects or animated gifs (even though I like them), like a previous poster mentioned, I would like to be able to access all my options from a central window.

12. firzen771

huh, well that "bloatware" is clearly doing something right because even with their old GUI they're doing a hell of a lot better than Dr.Web culd wish and now theyve smartened up and created a new GUI which will only take them further, while ur loved Dr.Web is gunna stay in the dust of every other vendor. HOW IS THE GUI IRREGULAR? u have to have the common sense of a mule to not understand how to navigate it, everything is seperated into tabs on the left by function... i swear i wonder about some people.

umm i dont think uve used Avast v5 then... the program setting are in one spot, top right corner... then if u want to configure EACH scan or EACH Shield, u have the configurability to do them indidivually also, this is a bonus not a negative, i dont see how anyone culd see it that way...

u 2 are LITERALLY the only people ive seen who think Avast's new GUI is hard to navigate... how are clear organized tabs on the left side hard to navigate thru?

13. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

F-prot has better gui than Dr. Web and F-prot has also done better in tests Dr. Web. For your information, F-prot is not basically dead, it is quite alive. :D

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on the thread topic, eliminate comparisions with other software and the personal barbs directed to each other.

15. firzen771

ye lets realy stop trying to make this into an A vs B thread by insulting products that dont have anything to do with this topic, lets stick to Dr.Web which is what this thread is about.

16. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I think that most of the insults have been aimed at Dr.Web but yes I agree that it's important to remain on topic.

My view is simple ... I don't buy AV's to look at the pretty GUI. Dr.Web GUI may not be perfect but it is easy to use even if it doesn't look like a video game. I want good protection without slowing of my system and DrWeb gives me that.

17. firzen771

well thats fine in this thread since this thread is about dr.web and not any other product.

18. format_c

tabs suck, it's a fact. I want to see everything together not twenty tabs over the overbloated window. I like to save the time and hate 10 miles mouse moving every day (where is the fast and convient keyboard navigatin, yeah?). tabs based iface looks like from early 90th, the classical sample is Microsoft AD configuration. a burn brain. a zero brain? no, that's the myth.

19. firzen771

so i guess thers no reason browsers moved away from window after window (caugh dr.web cough) and now use tabs... :rolleyes: clearly ur one of the VERY few that think this way with tabs being a bad way ot organize

20. format_c

tabs suck baaaadly. I'm sure you havn't seen something other instead lame Windows interface. only separate windows which can be placed and organized as I, not Bill Gates, wish! :)

21. firzen771

im not really sure what u even said there...

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No, tabs suck, is an opinion.
    Your opinion is not a fact.

23. format_c

sorry, I have nothing to help you. look around, read the articles, books, not only an internet forums... :'(

24. firzen771

i didnt say i didnt understand YOU, i said u culdnt understand what u typed, culd u just type it a little more clearly it looks a bit jumbled.

25. format_c

"you're better man than I" (c) Manfred Mane, ~1963

why yours is better than mine, 1,000,000 lemmings could be wrong, yeah? all guys' hair must be cut equally and we must wear the same jackets and pants. are we from "1984" by George Orwell? no!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.