Dr Web and Virus Chaser

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Saraceno, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

My first thread was about this program (Virus Chaser) - always had an interest in Dr Web.

http://www.viruschaser.hk/e_products.php

Just out of interest, the firewall they use in their premium product, is it Dr Web's as well? And are they using an older version of Dr Web, or the latest? Be interested to see if this is as light as the doctor (or lighter on resources). I'm sure it works on Vista and probably later, because I originally installed it on Vista 32.

VC.jpg

2. risl

risl Registered Member

The Dr.Web firewall is still in beta. No idea if it's the latest engine.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Last I checked, it used the 4.44 engine, but that was many months ago. The firewall I think is not related to Dr.Web's, but I am not 100% sure on this.

4. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

on dr web forum say that firewall theirs product

5. Saraceno

Thanks for the info. Anyone tested this one out?

Dr Web's detection/curing ability, with a simple firewall. On paper, sounds ok to me.

6. skokospa

Yes, I used a few days ago version 5 beta.GUI suffered many changes, will be quarantined, firewall is always something to ask .... It seems to me to become "serious" antivirus

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Out of curiousity-why? Why intested in DrWeb products? Although they might sometimes find something other has missed,they don't shine at all. They can't compete with big/bigger names in the industry.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, sure they can.

My own experience is that it's a very solid product among many good offerings that are out there. It's actually one of three AV's that I have installed among the various machines used in the house by the family, the other two being NOD32 and Kaspersky.

Blue

9. risl

risl Registered Member

Then why many who have been infected with products from bigger and better names are in panic reaching for CureIt to help?

I have it because it works, it's light, signatures are updated every hour and the engine is very capable. There is very nice technology under the hood.

I want a product that cannot be easily disabled by malware. A product that is actually capable of doing something instead of disappearing from tray or saying "action cannot be performed" in a real malware attack.

Could you be more specific about why in your opinion "they don't shine", and why "they can't compete". What are your user experiences with Dr.Web products? I would like to know(out of curiosity)why someone needs to explain his/her interest in Dr.Web products? :D

I understand if shining and competing means scoring in on-demand honeypot tests by adding tons of unaccurate generic signatures, packer detections, and automatically adding samples from previous honeypot tests or samples that other antiviruses detect in virustotal/similar services. I also understand if shining equals pretty GUI with transparent effects and so on.

10. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

absolutely rubbish,

Drwebs cureit has helped save thousands of machines, including its cureit tool that some of my friends have 'had to' use because their sooo called big named industry AV sucked ass!

so to you, a product that saves a machine from infection after their top-AV failed, doesn't shine?

sounds like it does to me :eek:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

You mention its CureIt and LiveCD but you don't mention many other things they have missed . I am not saying anything against CureIt.

Blue, the fact you have it installed on your computer mean nothing,even though you are an admin . It mean nothing because you are well educated technically . For you having no security software is more or less like not having.

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Ah , I understand , I got it - the product with "action cannot be performed" msg :D

DrWeb is rather small antivirus vendor , smaller company . They don't shine - I mean there is nothing so unique in them.

Not big . It is not a popular and used product here. Kaspersky , Panda , ESET , Symantec , AVG , McAfee , Sophos is what is most sold

I was just asking . No troubles intended.

Please,be more specific when writing such things . The antivirus product I use doesn't do that , I am sure.

As for the GUI - it should be change (my own vision)

13. PC__Gamer

LOL

so basically, in a nutshell - you dont have experience with the antivirus, its not popular in your country and you think the GUI needs improving,

.... i like your take on finding an anti-virus to protect you. :D

FYI Drweb are one of the few companys who actually strive to 'shrine' with constant advancements in technology, their removal capabilities are unique to them, and over the past months their rootkit detection/curing ability has been significantly improved during my own testing (not a professional, just an admirer of such things)

I dont know much about many products, but even i know you have no clue about this anti-virus or any infact, and your cold remarks are plain lame.

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Very funny , indeed (sarcasm intended)

I said it is not popular here and I have absolutely no reason to have it installed and working always on - 365 /366 days of the year
    However , this does not automatically mean that I have NO experience with DrWeb products and services. And yes , I do think the GUI needs improving

One person has experience when they have used a product for a seriously long time . I don't have a license for it and have used it a week or so . This is not that small.

15. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

PC_Gamer , do you use DrWeb as your antivirus ? You seem to be a good defender of theirs :rolleyes:

16. PC__Gamer

I think your comments towards it are lame and untrue.

No, I do not use it, but i have used their cureit tool and also their link scanner product.

would it be a surprise to you to know cureit actually fixes these machines that are using popular antivirus products that have become severely infected?

i recommend cureit to all my friends when they are in trouble

and sure, if i didnt have my other solutions, id probably use it.

but cant see me ever switching from my Prevx.

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I agree - they are lame . Reason is that direct product comparison is not allow here as per forum policy. I mean I can't compare DrWeb versus the competition .

Cleaning after the trouble is not the way to do it . Prevention is always better that cure ;)

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I guess I'd say that it shouldn't necessarily be decisive for anyone else, rather than it "means nothing". I try not to be so dismissive of other peoples decisions since I don't know all the factors that went into those decisions or have intimate knowledge of the context in which they were made. I, like everyone else, use a personalized weighting of various traits to decide whether a product is of use to me or not. As I noted, the selections I made were among a large group of good options.

I like to think that I approach these decisions in a manner that's reasonably technically informed. You explicitly stated that:
    I disagree and it's not just an intellectual exercise for me to state that, I voted with my wallet, I use the product, and have for a number of years.

Personally, I believe most discussions on product efficacy, suitability, and overall security system configurations miss the boat since they tend to focus on isolated parts of a complex result and seemingly take the stance that if "A" is good, "non-A" is bad. Sorry, but I believe the situation is a lot more nuanced that that.

Blue

19. skokospa

that does not mean that bad! :thumb:
    as well as Ikarus:thumb: small company but work well
    big does not necessarily mean that works well
    I use Ikarus Software and I am very pleased

20. Saraceno

In my own personal experiene, accessing malicious programs via google searches, with the Dr Web link scanner and CureIt, files that weren't flagged by many of the big vendors, Dr Web would identify as malicious or fraudulent software.

But in tests where many thousands of samples are gathered, samples which probably won't see the light of day on your machine, yes it might not detect them all. But on ones circulating, ones causing problems to users, it does exceptionally well.

But if you insist on performing your own test, right click on a folder of collected malware, there are other programs that 'shine'. But on real systems, not testing malware, systems belonging to friends/family which have downloaded a trojan through a gaming website, programs that have installed a rootkit etc, I'd put Dr Web right up there with the best of them. Especially for curing a file instead of deleting a critical system file (making a system completing useless anyway).

Try Dr Web's file scanner or url checker. Don't try it with some domain link that is sitting on some server at the end of the universe no-one will even visit or download, try it with something in google search. You'll be surprised how hard the Dr Web guys work.

File scanner:
    http://online.us.drweb.com/

Url checker:
    http://online.us.drweb.com/?url=1

About Virus Chaser, I was interested in it years ago as they had a quarantine function, back when Dr Web didn't (if I recall). Anyone tried this latest Virus Chaser version and the one with firewall? Is it any good?

Edit - As Blue mentioned, tests aside, Dr Web, Nod and Kaspersky, all have been consistently good and trouble-free on users' systems year after year. All work hard in giving users something for free (CureIt and Dr Web Link Checker, Nod's online scan, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool). :)

21. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

You should read Igor Daniloff's interviews. You would have answers then.

22. egghead

egghead Registered Member

When you are in the computer repair business you know why.

Recently I have parked Dr. Web because I got fed up with the long scanning time (on my rig that is; don't know about other users).

I'm now using Vipre & Prevx. Great combi btw.

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

From what I gather, Dr Web works well by providing signatures for currently prevalent malware ? How does that work, do they also remove signatures that are no longer prevalent ? I suppose the presence of some malware depends on the region. China vs. USA vs. Brazil vs. Germany. How does Dr Web deal with that ? Does it have any non-signature based features ?

I'm just trying to understand this. My current license runs out, so I'm looking for options. I used to think that Dr Web wasn't a good choice because of its low detection rate, but I may be wrong.

'Trying it' won't work, I don't get infected other than the occasional false positive. :cautious:

24. risl

risl Registered Member

I switched from Dr.Web because I get random "virus database failed" errors when starting the scanner. Sometimes during scanning I get NTFS errors, a popup from windows stating some files are corrupted. I would like to use software I bought and have license until 2011.

The software is good, but they can't help me with this except saying my HD is broken. I've ran the Samsung diagnostics utility from bootable disk and the HD passed every test.

Other antiviruses work fine and no errors during other use than dr.web scanner. Currently I have the latest avast because it's free and seems to work better.

Link to my problem: http://forum.drweb.com/index.php?showtopic=286970
    Errors: http://risl.codename.fi/drweb_vdbfailed.JPG & http://risl.codename.fi/drw_corrupt_error.JPG

Everyone says my HD needs to be replaced, but I'm not willing to buy a new HD just to see if Dr.Web would work or not when everything except Dr.Web scanner is completely normal. I would appreciate if someone knows any voodoo or other black magic tricks to get this fixed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  25. risl

risl Registered Member

They don't remove signatures and they do have generic signatures, heuristic analyzer, packer detections and origins tracing to find new threats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.