Dr.Web and Thunderbird Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Strider, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strider

Strider Registered Member

Does anybody know if there are any compatibility issues between Dr Web and Thunderbird? Or maybe I am not configuring it correctly :(
    It seems that this combination crashes my system...

I would appreciate any input on this problem.

10x

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Maybe you can post a liitle more info.. System specs, OS, and what exactly is happening. The more information you provide the better.

3. Strider

Ok, here it is:

System: Pentium 4 3GHZ, RAM 1 GHZ
    No firewall, no other conflicting software (another antivirus, etc.)

What is happening is that DrWeb installs correctly, then after restart my whole system freezes; thunderbird won't open, in fact any program won't open. After uninstalling Dr Web (in safe mode that is), everything works like a charm.

I you need more details, ask...

10x a lot!

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Use a good registry cleaner to clean out any debris of previous AV programs.

RegSupreme for example; http://www.macecraft.com/

Then try installing again. If this does not work, try custom installing Dr Web to try and see which of its parts are causing the freeze ups. For example, don't install SpiderGuard/Spidermail initially.

Hopefully you may then find out what is causing the conflict.

You can then add the components back via the Modify on the Uninstall screen.

Let us know how you get on.

5. Strider

Hello there

Thanx for the quick reply

I did exactly as you told me (clean registry, install by components) and realized that the part that the problem was caused by a setting in SpiderGuard (scan E-mail files). Apparently this setting blocked access to thunderbird or something. So I disabled it and all seems to work fine. If I encounter anymore problems, I will let you know.

Thanx again for the reply and all the help. I appreciate it very much.

6. Blackcat

Hope you like the good Doctor ;)

7. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

SpiderGuard is File System monitor it checks all potentially dangerous files.
    E-mail checks SpiderMail.
    Post part of Drweb32w.log file with listing startup/in memory programs to clear problem.

8. Blackcat

But hopefully at least a router!
    But in SpiderGuard, the default settings are not to scan e-mail files.
    So did you enable this scan option initially?

Maybe the Registry clean helped the initial install but enabling the scanning of email files in SpiderGuard slowed your system right down :doubt:

If you can you remember the exact steps you took to solve your problem it would be very helpful to other members here who may come across this problem in the future?

Attached Files:

9. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

On the scan options Tab, I think you checked 'other' in the on-access scan mode and probably also checked th boxes: 'run and open files' and 'create and write files'. That really decreases performance. You should check the 'smart' box in the on-access scan mode.

On the 'file types' tab, you should check the 'all files' box and check all three boxes at the 'file types'.
    It will run like a charm, really!

Good luck !!!

;) Putin

10. Benvan45

I would check all 3 boxes on the 'file type' tab.

Good luck!! ;) Putin

11. Blackcat

It sounds as if he must have changed the original default settings of the SpiderGuard after a first successful install to see these freeze-ups. Unless he had a lot of "old" Registry entries which conflicted with Dr Web/SG.

As Putin suggests, for SpiderGuard recommended settings are;

SG>Settings>Scan Options>on-access scan mode-select SMART.

SG>Settings>File Types-select ALL FILES and for file formats you can simply accept the default settings or select 2 or all 3 formats.

However, the default setting for the latter option may be more suitable if you have Spidermail enabled or if selecting E-mail file scanning in SG did in fact cause the conflict with ThunderBird.

Recommended settings for SpiderGuard and the on-demand scanner are HERE together with screenshots.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  12. fredra

fredra Registered Member

To Putin and Blackcat
    I understand what you said, but something minor escapes me.
    If the selection is "All Files", should that interpretation mean that it is all inclusive? (including archives, email and exe)...why would the user have to make a choice? :doubt:
    If the choice is "By format", then the type of format (either or all archive, email and exe) should be the factor of influence? :doubt:

Recommended settings for SpiderGuard and the on-demand scanner are HERE together with screenshots
    Thanks for pointing that out...I was looking for that...it is appreciated.

I do not wish to hijack the thread, just asking for the above clarification.
    Thanks
    Cheers :)

13. Benvan45

I have checked 'all files' and all 3 boxes on the 'file types' tab and I know it's not the default setting, but it runs like crazy and I just want it to scan most. Except for the Scan Options tab, I use the 'smart' scan, otherwise your system will crawl. I am not really sure about how and why, but this is my configuration and I'm really happy with it.

Good luck !!! ;) Putin

14. Strider

Hello,

First of all thanx to all for their input.

I'll try to summarize what happened:
    1. I cleaned all my registry as suggested
    2. instaled DrWeb with custom options, leaving out SpiderGuard and SpiderMail / restart
    3. instaled SpiderGuard with default options / restart
    4. installed SpiderMail with default options / restart
    5. in SpiderGuard settings sheet, under the "FIle Types" tab I checked "All files" and also all 3 boxes under file formats (archives, packed executable files, e-mail files). I checked this boxes one by one, with restart after each other. After checking the last one (E-mail files) the whole system freezes, thunderbird won't open, even Ctrl-Alt-Del won't work.

So, I guess there is a conflict between the real-time checking of e-mail files with thunderbird. I just uncheck that box and everything works fine so far. I keep spidermail enabled, so that would protect my mails ok.

I hope this clarifies the whole thing.

Thanx again to all for their kind support.

S

15. Benvan45

You did the right thing by unchecking the 'e-mail files' box. As long as you do use Spidermail, you are perfectly protected.
    But I would suggest, you watch the tray icon of Spidermail and see if it is animated when checking for mail!!! As you are using Thunderbird, I don't know for sure if you have to configure things differently.

I'll see if I install Thunderbird and check things out tonite.

Good luck again!!!

;) Putin

16. Strider

Hello

The icon is animated when checking of mail, so I guess it works.
    I even checked by sending me a mail with eicar-test archive and Spidermail detected it.

10x again for your help

17. Benvan45

Ok, that works anyway, just great.....!!!!

I'll get back about Thunderbird.

;) Putin

18. Benvan45

About Thunderbird.......I installed it and found no problem with my formerly stated configuration of Dr. Web.
    I'm beginning to think, there's something else the matter with your use of Thunderbird and Dr. Web, but I wouldn't have any idea what!!!
    Thunderbird opens here perfectly, mail is scanned etc. etc.
    Hope maybe someone here can give you any other ideas.
    Otherwise, just keep the 'e-mail files box' unchecked.
    Maybe after you ever re-install Windows it will be all perfect at once.
    I guess you use XP?

Anyway, I hope you will get some other answer.

Good luck !!!! ;)

Putin

19. Blackcat

SpiderGuard's default settings, selected by Dialogue Science/Dr Web are those thought to offer the best balance of protection and performance. These are;

1. Smart Mode+By Format+ Packed executable files.

Whereas here at Wilders, the Recommended settings of SG are slightly different;

2. Smart Mode+All Files+Archives+packed executable files+E-mail files.

However, as fredra has pointed out;
    But the selection of ALL Files does not make the file format selections redundant. If you wish to check all files in SpiderGuard you still have to select all 3 file formats and the ALL files selection.

Therefore, you have at least 2 major configuration settings you can use to configure SpiderGuard. Both of these should offer you good protection and performance. However, on some systems like Strider's, you may not be able to enable all options in file formats.

But irrespective of what settings you use in the RTM of Dr Web you have to remember that files are not checked when they are executed in Win2000/XP systems when using Smart Mode. Therefore, regular on-demand scans may be even more important than the actual settings of SpiderGuard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.