Dr. Watson stopped from modifying/terminating

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mele20, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have the free Process Guard. Process Guard stopped Dr. Watson from modifying Bit Defender:

Thu 07 - 19:35:22 [MODIFY] c:\windows\system32\dwwin.exe [2200] was blocked from modifying c:\program files\softwin\bitdefender free edition\bdmcon.exe [744]

Dr. Watson kept trying over and over (I was away from the computer when this happened and came back to find a bunch of error messages) to modify and kept being blocked. Finally Dr. Watson tried to close Bit Defender.
    Thu 07 - 20:25:02 [TERMINATE] c:\windows\system32\drwtsn32.exe [4048] was blocked from terminating c:\program files\softwin\bitdefender free edition\bdmcon.exe [744]

Dr. Watson is allowed to modify and terminate applications so why did Process Guard stop it from doing so in this instance? One of the error messages was from Bit Defender indicating that it had to close. Obviously, Process Guard was interfering here and making the original problem worse by stopping the application from closing.

Do I have this set up wrong? What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You mention two different .exe's dwwin.exe & drwtsn32.exe Have both got the the Terminate allow enabled in the protection list? It would appear that both may need the allow for BD to be terminated correctly.

HTH Pilli :)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I thought dwwin.exe was part of Dr. Watson so I thought it was already given permission to modify and terminate. Turns out though that it is actually MS Application Error Reporting but it is a part of Dr. Watson also. I recall now that one of the many error boxes that I saw, when I came back to the computer after this problem with BD happened, was the error reporting for MS which had been blocked.

I gave this service rights to modify and terminate. But I doubt it needs both of those. It probably just needs the right to modify which is what it would do I assume when sending a report as that was what it couldn't do and because it couldn't do that Dr. Watson couldn't terminate either. The proccess that I would have allowed if I had been sitting at the computer when this problem occured got stuck at the attempt to send error reporting data to MS.

I guess this error reporting process never got in the Process Guard list while it was in learning mode because it wasn't activated during that time.

4. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Did you lose any drive space? I mean, did the free space on your drive go down? I ask because, this same thing happened to me once, and it was because Dr Watson created a 7 gigabyte log file because it kept trying to terminate an app over and over and over. So you may want to find and delete the Dr Watson log file... Just a thought.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Wow!! Dr. Watson didn't give up did it? I already checked the log and cleared it. Dumb me I wondered why the last Ping Plotter Catastrophic Failure errors weren't captured in Dr. Watson. Simple reason. I was using the default to keep 10 errors and the log was full. The BD error was not in the Dr. Watson log either. I had never cleared the log in the year and one half I have had the computer. I had looked at the log a few times in the past but not in quite a while. So, I may have been saved from a gigantic log because there was no room! Ha! I sure learned some things from this incident. Ping Plotter just crashed again (this is a beta of the yet to be released Pro version so crashes are expected) and this time Dr.Watson captured the mini dump. So this incident with BD and Process Guard has been a good learning experience for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.