Downside to Norton ConnectSafe?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I assume only downside is it might prevent you from going to a legitimate site that it flagged incorrectly - or are there other drawbacks to using it?

If so what?

Also, have people who have used it found it to block legitimate sites much?

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Some legitimate sites are indeed blocked, ran into that a few times, but not too many.

But, for the most part, it does block a good amount of bad ones as well.

In my personal tests, I found that OpenDNS blocks more than any of the DNS services I've used, which is the reason why I'm using it now.

Norton ConnectSafe would be my second choice.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I find it to be slower than most other services and slower to pick up new site registrations than others. Overall it is ok but not my first choice.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

its actually the only thing I love of norton is the DNS.My ISP DNS idea of what they call safe search is hey this site may contain adult content or malware are you sure you want to continue.Click yes and off you go straight to it.Norton connect safe at least just blocks it.Great for the family and kids and it has been totally reliable.

5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Has anyone noticed it? If I type anything other than a web address in firefox address bar I am being redirected to norton search powered by ask:rolleyes: I have to use the search bar to use google.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Only in FF? Would be very surprised. E.g. OpenDNS hijacked Google search altogether, and even had the balls to call Google out for being spyware wrt their branded Dell search, marketing their own hijack as being superior solution which is "solving this problem".

:eek: o_O

7. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I use it to back up K9 Web Protection and I have so far noticed no downside at all. I would however like to see a recent comparision between Norton DNS and OpenDNS

8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Just checked again. If I type only one word in firefox address bar I am redirected to ask search. More than one word it is google search:cool:. So ask search is implemented in a controlled manner (for now;))

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Something here isn't right. Norton DNS use is controlled by setting the IP addresses for Norton DSN primary and alternate DNS servers in your IPv4 network settings.There are different IP addresses depending on the content category you wish to filter.

Sounds to me that somehow you downloaded and installed Norton's Safeweb Lite? This would have installed the Norton search toolbar on your browser home page. Norton's Safeweb Lite uses Ask as the search engine. If Norton Safeweb Lite is installed, you can uninstall it using Windows add/remove programs. Or alternately, you can disable the toolbar add-on in your browser.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Its strange to see Norton associated to Ask... Norton is a respected and successful company (AFAIK) and their products are expensive.
    Is there an option to "untick" the toolbar during installation?

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

More info would help, but in case one of these is useful:

1) From Oct 2012
    2) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...bookmarks-history-and-tabs#w_url-autocomplete
    3) http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

12. itman

itman Registered Member

13. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I didn't install norton safeweb lite or ask search. I know all my programs. I have implemented default deny SRP so the chance of accidentally installing safeweb is not there:). I have checked for this behaviour both in my pc and laptop.

I switched over to another dns and I am no longer redirected to ask search.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  14. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

So, is there a downside to Norton ConnectSafe?

15. itman

itman Registered Member

OK. Now I know what your referring to. Same thing happened to me today. It's a separate popup when Norton DNS cannot find the IP address.

I have also seen weird svchost.exe connections when browsing to what appears to be connects to MS mail spam servers so I also dumped Norton DNS.

16. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Yes, it connects you to Ask search engine... :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.